Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 18, 2012   #136
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Seek-No-Further Love Apple

This one has a pleasant juicy mild-but-not-sweet flavor with fruit sizes between 5 and 14 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1139.jpg (316.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0876.jpg (297.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0918.jpg (439.2 KB, 141 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #137
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Kath, About your Sandul Moldovan-it's a much rounder tomato than what I've
been getting. I grew a plant from my seed and one from newly purchased
seed (from Casey's-his seed is bagged) and got very oblate fruits from both.
I saved seed separately from both if you'd like to have some (i didn't even
attempt to bag fruits this year-everytime I thought about it, we'd have 95 to
100 degree days). For the life of me, I can't remember what the cross section
of SM looks like-starting taking out some plants for an early clean-up.

Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #138
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Kath, About your Sandul Moldovan-it's a much rounder tomato than what I've
been getting. I grew a plant from my seed and one from newly purchased
seed (from Casey's-his seed is bagged) and got very oblate fruits from both.

Darlene
I'm looking at the picture of Sandul Moldovan in my book, seeds right from Andy Durbak who got the seeds from the Sandul's when they immigrated to the US.

What I see is the one branch just loaded with large oblate pink fruits, not round at all, and the cut section at the lower right shows, best I can do on counting, maybe about 10 locules since the fruit was not cut exactly in the middle.

Kath, just a few more questions. You referred to a PPP XPP ( Prudens Purple) above so is what you show the result of sowing F1 seeds. If not, who did the cross and if it were stable I don't think you'd be saying PPP X PP.

The folks who have referred to Prudence Purple have lost out over those who call it Pruden's Purple. In some of the earlier SSE YEarbooks it was kind of interesting to read why X wanted to call it Prudence and why others insisted on calling it Prudens and both sides, well, it was really only ONE person holding out for the Prudence, let their cases rest.

I just have not had the time to look at the pictures and read what you have to say about the fruits from all that you've shown, but will try to do better with that. I also need to get up a thread on the final feedback on results from my 2012 seed offer here, which I hope to do early in the week.
Old August 19, 2012   #139
pugfrog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've grown Orange Strawberry several times starting from when Marjorie Morris in IN sent me the seeds all those many years ago and it always has been orange, which I don't see in your picture Kath, and has always been a lovely heart shape, which I also don't see.

So is this another variety that has gone south as to color and shape?

And I also agree that I found it to be rather dry fleshed and not amongst the best tasting hearts that I've grown.

I'd like to ask those who commented about Orange Strawberry what the seed source was, just out of curiousity. Perhaps weather conditions might be involved, I just don't know.
I grew Orange Strawberry here in Australia last year and got nothing but hearts myself. And they were Orange, and no uneven ripening either, so I am with you.
pugfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #140
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I also had very orange fruit and very pointy bottoms on my Orange Strawberry, I think my seeds were from TGS. I grew them three years in a row, but it's been probably 6-8 years at least, so maybe I should dig up some old seeds for next season.

Prue could well be temperamental! It sure has the thinnest leaves and and scrawniest (though tall) vines of any I grow, looks sickly next to other varieties, but don't let that put you off. I love it and have grown it every year since I found it! Last year, I threw two extras in pots, and they just produced like crazy up until frost killed the plants, no fuss at all. This year, they seem shy producers, both in the single pot and the three plants in the ground. But there is still a month of growing time left (if we don't get an old time normal frost in early September, which we have not for a few years.) Have not counted the greenies to see if there will be a late big crop like last year. We had a hotter than normal summer this year, and I am wondering if Prue likes it cooler.

I'm really enjoying your pictures and reports. It's great to read and see the rarer named varieties that are hard to find.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #141
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I also had very orange fruit and very pointy bottoms on my Orange Strawberry, I think my seeds were from TGS. I grew them three years in a row, but it's been probably 6-8 years at least, so maybe I should dig up some old seeds for next season.

Prue could well be temperamental! It sure has the thinnest leaves and and scrawniest (though tall) vines of any I grow, looks sickly next to other varieties, but don't let that put you off. I love it and have grown it every year since I found it! Last year, I threw two extras in pots, and they just produced like crazy up until frost killed the plants, no fuss at all. This year, they seem shy producers, both in the single pot and the three plants in the ground. But there is still a month of growing time left (if we don't get an old time normal frost in early September, which we have not for a few years.) Have not counted the greenies to see if there will be a late big crop like last year. We had a hotter than normal summer this year, and I am wondering if Prue likes it cooler.

I'm really enjoying your pictures and reports. It's great to read and see the rarer named varieties that are hard to find.
Thanks for the feedback on OS and for sharing your experience and encouraging me to persevere with Prue. My seeds are from Tom and his climate isn't unlike mine so I will keep trying with this one because I really do like that taste.
Old August 19, 2012   #142
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugfrog View Post
I grew Orange Strawberry here in Australia last year and got nothing but hearts myself. And they were Orange, and no uneven ripening either, so I am with you.
Thanks for your input, pugfrog- it's pretty certain that what I'm growing is another Not Orange Strawberry so my plan is to try once more next year with new seeds.
Old August 19, 2012   #143
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Kath, About your Sandul Moldovan-it's a much rounder tomato than what I've been getting. I grew a plant from my seed and one from newly purchased seed (from Casey's-his seed is bagged) and got very oblate fruits from both.

Darlene
Thanks for sharing your experience, Darlene, and for offering to share your seed. It was really hit or miss this year with bagging seed because of the heat and sadly it seems the hardest ones to bag are the ones you need the most. Many of the fruits were more oblate like a beefsteak- I think they show up in the photo of the plant- but my SM plant has already been taken out as well.

Sending a PM.

Kath
Old August 19, 2012   #144
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm looking at the picture of Sandul Moldovan in my book, seeds right from Andy Durbak who got the seeds from the Sandul's when they immigrated to the US.

What I see is the one branch just loaded with large oblate pink fruits, not round at all, and the cut section at the lower right shows, best I can do on counting, maybe about 10 locules since the fruit was not cut exactly in the middle.

Kath, just a few more questions. You referred to a PPP XPP ( Prudens Purple) above so is what you show the result of sowing F1 seeds. If not, who did the cross and if it were stable I don't think you'd be saying PPP X PP.

The folks who have referred to Prudence Purple have lost out over those who call it Pruden's Purple. In some of the earlier SSE YEarbooks it was kind of interesting to read why X wanted to call it Prudence and why others insisted on calling it Prudens and both sides, well, it was really only ONE person holding out for the Prudence, let their cases rest.

I just have not had the time to look at the pictures and read what you have to say about the fruits from all that you've shown, but will try to do better with that. I also need to get up a thread on the final feedback on results from my 2012 seed offer here, which I hope to do early in the week.
Carolyn, thanks for your feedback on Sandul Moldovan. The picture in your book looks like what I remember growing in 2010. Also for the clarification of Pruden's Purple.

With regard to the seeds of the cross of Pale Perfect Purple and Pruden's Purple, it isn't my cross. (edit: should be Purple Price) I received seeds as PPP x PP "C" and the information that I copied on its notecard states that "Original seed came from Craig LeHoullier. Tad Smith crossed PPP with PP and sent seeds to Carolyn Male who sent some to Craig in 1994." I believe the information came from SSE. Perhaps you could let me know the proper way to refer to this great tomato?

Thanks for your help.

kath

Last edited by kath; August 21, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: PP stands for Purple Price
Old August 19, 2012   #145
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I only got a few fruit off mine before the plant succumbed to wilt, but they looked the same as yours. Taste was good, but I'll have to grow again for confirmation. Glad yours produced well.

And, yes, my plants were very large as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Seeds of Pale Perfect Purple x Pruden's Purple have given me 2 plants which are now between 7 and 8' tall and could only be called "compact" in width. The fruits are in the 10-22 oz. range and are boat-shaped on the one plant and more round on the other, which can be seen in the photos. They color up a pale pink, but darken as they ripen and the taste is fantastic! There has been a bit of catfacing on some, but most are lovely blemish free beauties with thin skin- which sadly does split after rain.

I'd appreciate comments from others who have grown this variety as to whether mine look right.

Last edited by fortyonenorth; August 19, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #146
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I only got a few fruit off mine before the plant succumbed to wilt, but they looked the same as yours. Taste was good, but I'll have to grow again for confirmation. Glad yours produced well.
Thanks, I appreciate your input, 41. I wasn't sure if you grew it this year- yikes, what kind of wilt? Good to know that my pics matched what you grew. I'm looking forward to trying more of this one- think the plants are in a lull right now that represents the low fruit set from our extreme heat. Hoping the weather holds so that more of the greenies ripen up.
Old August 21, 2012   #147
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Serdste Buivola

Semi-determinate vines produced 12-25 oz. fruits that ripened quite early for being so large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0907.jpg (241.2 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1552.jpg (363.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1435.jpg (311.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1436.jpg (368.2 KB, 85 views)
Old August 21, 2012   #148
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Serendipity

The neighbors are in love with this bicolored beauty which came in sizes 7.5 to 20 oz. To me it's a bit juicier than Hawaiian Pineapple and not quite as sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1116.jpg (294.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1037.jpg (270.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1173.jpg (315.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1060.jpg (353.8 KB, 99 views)
Old August 21, 2012   #149
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Sherry's Sweet Heart?

This was new this year from Wild Boar Farms and sure is a beautiful fruit. I only grew one plant and the fruits are running between 9.5 oz. and just over a pound instead of the 6-10 oz that I was expecting and the fruits aren't looking like hearts. The one in the first picture is the most heart-shaped one yet and the others are varied shapes. The fruits are the right color, with dense flesh and I would agree that the flavor is a well-balanced sweet/acid mix.

I would love to know what others are getting from this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1126.jpg (348.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0981.jpg (236.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1444.jpg (469.8 KB, 86 views)
Old August 21, 2012   #150
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Solar Flare

Not early by any means for these 5-6 oz. fruits. Stunning color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0943.jpg (220.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1084.jpg (315.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1353.jpg (199.3 KB, 115 views)