Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old December 11, 2009   #16
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medbury Gardens View Post
The good thing about growing TPS is they're easy to grow in pots inside during early spring, then plant out once the frosts have finshed this way extending the growing season by another 3 months,the longer you can grow them in that first season the better the size will be at the end.
Mine this season will have growing 10 months by end of April.
ten months? good lord. I would have to start them inside in January and not be able to set them out until mid-may to get that long of a first season. Can they be in pots that long? The only plants I usually start in January are my long season peppers, and I dont do too many of those just because of room factors.

How long can you have them potted before setting out?

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2009   #17
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

The one above was in a 4 L pot for 3 months before being planted outside and still wasn't overly root bound,will be interesting to see how big they get by April.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2009   #18
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

is 4L mean 4 liter? A gallon pot basically?

I dont have a greenhouse. The largest potting up I generally do in the spring for anything is 4 inch pots.

Tom
Old December 14, 2009   #19
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinslair View Post
is 4L mean 4 liter? A gallon pot basically?

Tom
Yes, about a gallon size i think Tom,

Here two more sent to me from Tomaat,sown a bit later than the others

Old December 14, 2009   #20
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Well, I will be able to do a few that way, but will be a bit limited. Might have to jury-rig a greenhouse on the patio up against the house. I do have plenty of pots I can pot them up to. Is there a lot of worry about disturbing the root system when you transplant to the garden? Or is it not going to be an issue until they are more mature and developing the potatoes?

Tom
Old December 14, 2009   #21
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I mix up a soil/compost mix for all my pots so i find that the plants tend to come out undisturbed.
Old January 2, 2010   #22
robbins
Tomatovillian™

Default potatoes

How interesting to see the same weeds in New Zeland as here in my Missouri fields.
Robbins
robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2010   #23
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbins View Post
How interesting to see the same weeds in New Zeland as here in my Missouri fields.
Robbins
I suppose many of the weeds that you have would have come in here with seed imports,interesting thought though,i wonder how many weeks in my garden would be regarded as a native.
Old October 3, 2010   #24
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Two weeks ago I harvested most of my potatoes including the so called Potato Dance varieties grown from TPS summer 2009. Last spring I planted all spuds from the TPS plants and now we got enough to do taste testing.
This is what was planted:

And this is what I harvested:

We had cool spring followed by dry period and record warm July and August. This year was not really good for potatoes and the crops around here tend to be smaller than normal. This makes me really exited about the harvest I got from this variety.

Today I roasted two of the potatoes. Taste in both varieties was good for roasting. I will still try couple boiled and save rest to be planted next year.
Old October 3, 2010   #25
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Well done svalli,look good

Nearly planting time here soon,cant wait
Old October 11, 2010   #26
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Svalli,

I read you are interested in TPS seed of blue flesh potato. I have a lot left of my unnamed blue mother of my TPS experiment that I can send you. See the colors here http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=13927&page=2 I posted the pictures of what I got. I am not sure how long the maturity of the plants will be (I did not track them too well) but they die down at some point in late Sept. One blue had a black skin almost was darker than the other blue but I lke the flavor of the second one boiled, as well as the taste of the pink.

Let me know if you want some or some other folks here.

I was very impressed with your F2 harvest, love the red color one! I hope mine is as good as that next year
Old October 12, 2010   #27
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Sari, it's soooo good to see you get something tasty for all the effort. I'm glad someone got something out of those TPS. They would have been a waste in my seed box. Perhaps now, with the additional space for an "in the ground" garden, I can think about growing potatoes. But that is a subject for a couple of years from now.

I'm so happy for you and the "Potato Dance".

Take care

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2010   #28
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
Two weeks ago I harvested most of my potatoes including the so called Potato Dance varieties grown from TPS summer 2009. Last spring I planted all spuds from the TPS plants and now we got enough to do taste testing.
This is what was planted:

And this is what I harvested:

Today I roasted two of the potatoes. Taste in both varieties was good for roasting. I will still try couple boiled and save rest to be planted next year.
Very impressive potatoes, Sari. For now I have only purple ones from TPS, and I doubt there will be anything to eat next year, but I will sow more TPS and watch the outcome. Did you plant the Congo seed potatoes?
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2010   #29
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Next year I will sow more TPS and watch the outcome, but I'll also grow some seed potatoes from Denmark (commercial Asparges fingerlings and my mum's pink potatoes). I hope they'll look as nice as yours, Sari, and maybe I'll also get TPS to grow on and share.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2010   #30
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

ContainerTed,

I got few seeds of the potato dance from Sari, I sent her some of my blue TPS from last year and this year in the hope she gets an early variety in Finland. I sowed them and crossing my fingers to get a red one!

Wendy