Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 24, 2009   #1
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Default Food Mill

Am looking at the Back to Basics food mill and the Oxo brand. I think some people on this forum have Back to Basics...has anyone used the Oxo brand. Looks like maybe BB can be attached to counter, while Oxo cannot. Please respond if you have used either and what you think. Looking to make tomato sauce, etc.
Thanks
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2009   #2
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I see you don't have a response yet. My food mill is very old it is a victorio 200 a friend gave me, it works greattttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT it saves me so much time. I think I'm right in saying that the BB is a new version of my old one. Kat has BB and loves it and my sister just bought one, she has used it 2 x but she loves it. My sister has made 2 batches of the roasted tomato sauce using her BB food mill. Hope this helps.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2009   #3
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Neva. I haven't seen the BB one in stores around here. That's why I was hoping someone would have experience with the Oxo...several stores here carry it. If I want the BB I willl have to order it online I guess.
Maybe the Oxo is so new that no one yet can speak for it. Thanks again!
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2009   #4
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I just got the oxo mill. It looks to be good quality. It's heavy and it should wash up nice due to the material it's made of. I didn't want a mill that attaches to the counter, I wanted one that would fit over a pot. That's why I went with the oxo.
I have not tried it yet, so I can't give you a review. I think it will do the job nicely for tomatoes, which is about all I need to run through a food mill. You might check on Amazon (where I got mine) and read up on the reviews. I usually learn a lot by reading those.
Old July 27, 2009   #5
jeffinsgf
Tomatovillian™

If you by chance have a Kitchenaid stand mixer, there is a food mill attachment for it. I can't speak for its performance yet....just had my SIL pick one up for me at the factory store in Greenville, OH. It's supposed to be in the mail in a day or two.
jeffinsgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2009   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

This afternoon, I was in the Ace Hardware in Oakwood, Georgia and had the lady there order me a Back To Basics Model 220. They are selling it for $54.99 and it comes with the Tomato/Apple screen. I, too, have been looking around for one and decided on this one because of the optional extra screens that can be added. I have seen the OXO and, whiel the over the bowl part was nice, I wanted one that I could attach and then remove to temporary storage.

I bought the DW a Kitchen Aid mixer a few years ago, so I did look at the Kitchen Aid setup and decided against it. You have to get the Food/meat grinder attachment for something like $129 and then add the Tomato processor hardware for another $50. Not my cup of tea.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2009   #7
jeffinsgf
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

Just to set the record straight, the package that sells for $119 includes everything you need, including the food grinder (the foundation for several attachments). If you already have the food grinder (retail $65), the strainer/mill attachment is another $65. So, it's either $130 if you buy separately or $120 if you buy the package deal.

I already have the food grinder for making sausage, and caught the mill attachment on a 40% off sale.
Old July 28, 2009   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I may have taken something out of context. My pricing statement was based on what I had read in the strainer ad. It indicated that the grinder was required. Well, I knew the grinder was $130 and they wanted $65 for the .....

You can see where I went wrong here.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 28, 2009   #9
jeffinsgf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
You can see where I went wrong here.

Ted
I can, believe me, it's not crystal clear on their website AT ALL. There was a nice brochure in with my food grinder that was much more logically laid out.

The Food Grinder (FGA) is the foundation for the strainer, the pasta extruder, and the sausage stuffer. The pasta extruder is not to be confused with the pasta cutter, which is a completely separate animal. You can buy a myriad of "package deals" that include some combination of the above, all of which I found out after I bought the grinder by itself.
Old July 28, 2009   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Here is a thread where we were talking about "food mills" last winter http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ighlight=foley

A BtB modle is mentioned.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2009   #11
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

We got an OXO food mill for a wedding present! just got a chance to try it last night. We made sauce and juice, and strained the juice.

We made about 1.5-2 gallons of juice, and it didnt seem to take that long to mill them all. We just scooped out the clump of pulp and seeds when it got big, and soaked the screen (medium one, caught all the seeds!) overnight. there was one little strand of tomato goo still on the spring under the handle, but pretty easy to clean.

My mom and dad would use a chinois and pestle, i remember that being more tedious but its been YEARS. . ..

I was pretty pooped and we elected to freeze everything last night. am planning a canning date with a friend soon- thinking about apple sauce and apple butter- will let you know if I try the OXO on anything else.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2009   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, I did receive my BTB and I can tell you that "IIIIII LUV IT !!!!".

I can run the tomatoes thru faster than I can core them. I found that you need to run everything twice to get that last bit of goodness out, but the throwaway at that point is almost "dry?"-like.

I made some salsa (sort of a "semi homemade", but nothing exotic) and it beats anything else I have ever tasted. I'll post the recipe. (If I can make it, anybody can). My Mexican neighbor said "Bueno", so it can't be too bad.

Cleanup for the BTB was very easy. Everything went to the sink and except for the screen, was cleaned up with the spray attachment. The screen was rinsed and then the little bits that were hung up were easily removed with a small plastic bristled brush and the spray attachment.

All in all, I can definitely recommend the Back to Basics version.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 24, 2009   #13
Structure
Tomatovillian™

I'll second the BTB 220 recommendation. A real mill like this is the way to go if you need to process a lot of tomatoes. The OXO is a wheel and bowl design? Too slow. Not bad for a small job, but for only a little bit more $ you can get a BTB or even another cranked mill (the William Sanoma ones are cheap and I've heard from friends that they work fine).
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2009   #14
elmtree3
Tomatovillian™

I've had my BTB Food strainer for almost 5 years now, and have nothing but good things to say about it. We make alot of salsa, applesauce, spaghetti sauce, vegetable juice, etc. at our house, so it gets very much use. Probably cuts salsa making at least in half. Wouldn't want to be without it!

Jeff
elmtree3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2009   #15
ovenbird
Tomatovillian™

I use my 30+ year old Foley food mill. It has hooks to suspend it onto a pan. Fits my 3 quart Farberware saucepan perfectly. I also have a strainer attachment for my Cuisinart food processor that makes a really fine sieve, almost more like a juicer. Takes the seeds out of raspberry preserves.
ovenbird is offline   Reply With Quote