Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old November 18, 2015   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Storage tomatoes?

Does anyone have a tomato that they use as mostly a storage type? One that matures late and can hold a while in storage but also will eventually ripen? I had some green late tomatoes given to me this year which took a few weeks to ripen and they were still much better than anything store bought. I was hoping for more than a few weeks extension but not sure that is possible.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2015   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Long Keeper
Seeds obtained from grocery store Romas.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #3
ilex
Tomatovillian™

"De Colgar" tomatoes. Up to 9 months at room temperature. Hundreds of varieties to choose from intended for different uses. I eat some varieties fresh (as in salads) until mid December (those picked late July). I get many in the 8 brix range, so way better than anything from a supermarket.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

There's a Burpee's Long-Keeper. I see it on seed racks at stores in my area.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2015   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes picked On September 3rd now begin to mature me. Ramallets.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0011.JPG (99.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0013.JPG (74.2 KB, 133 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2015   #6
shule1

Most blue (high anthocyanin) tomatoes are supposed to have a great shelf life, especially the Gargamel tomato (at least among RIN tomatoes, whatever they are). They usually say so in their descriptions.

I've heard of a bunch of other long-keeping tomatoes, recently. Purple Bumble Bee is an example. I don't remember the others offhand, but I might soon.

I'm guessing firm, meaty tomatoes probably keep better than juicy ones, usually. The nutrients available to the plants may play a role, as will the conditions of storage (and lack or presence of pathogens that may infect the tomatoes, as well as resistance to those pathogens). I believe there's some anthracnose in my tomato storage area (although the unaffected tomatoes are keeping well). I might have to look into anthracnose-tolerant tomatoes for next year.

Edit: Chef's Choice Orange F1 is anthracnose-tolerant. I'm not sure how long it keeps, but it's part Amana Orange.

Last edited by shule1; December 16, 2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old December 16, 2015   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Piennolo del Vesuvio is a typical pantry type tomato that can be stored ~ 9 months. Re ripening mutants, most are based on mutations in the ethylene biopath.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2015   #8
LDiane

Thick-skinned cherries keep for a long time for me. One year Sweet Orange II lasted till March, but only because I put a sign on to prevent anyone eating them. Normally they're gone by New Year's.

These are not picked unripe. They produce ripe fruit all summer, and then I pick the remaining fruits just before frost and keep them in a single layer on a tray in the house.

I am currently eating Red Cluster Pear and Sweet Orange II.
Old December 24, 2015   #9
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Great thread, please keep this going. Another hybrid is Burpee Red October. I haven't tried it but I did try Burpee Long Keeper before I found TV. It wasn't very tasty.

I've also noticed the orange tomatoes picked green kept well.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote