Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 1, 2015   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default What to do with approx. 10lbs of Cherry tomatoes?

Can I can them with the least amount of work? I have a blender, food processor but no food mill. How can I preserve some of it for the winter?
Old August 1, 2015   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I would cut them in half and dry most of them. If you don't have a dehydrator you can do it in the oven. I store them in freezer bags and just pull out whatever I need when I need it.

Another easy and quick thing would be to freeze them. Drop them into boiling water for 30 seconds, then into an ice bath for another 30 seconds. Slip the skins off and put them into freezer bags leaving 1 inch of head space and toss them in the freezer for chili and soup.

And you can make a big batch of gazpacho if you have some cucumbers and other veggies.
Old August 1, 2015   #3
JoParrott

Yummy---slow roast them with chopped garlic & fresh basil- drizzled with olive oil. Just Google slow roasted tomatoes and there is a lot of recipes.
Old August 1, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

You could create the, "First Annual Luigiwu Tomato Eating Contest?"

I cut open and started drying seeds from the largest two Gialla Nostale squash yesterday. I let them rest for 3 weeks before cutting them open. I built a shelf in our home to dry them on. That way, I can keep ants away from them. In a few weeks - month, I'll be sending you at least 50 seeds that should be near 100% viable.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015   #5
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

I put them on a cookie sheet, freeze them as is, then bag them up on whatever quantity I feel like. Then just thaw and throw in stews or whatever whole. Yummy.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I pick them, put them in plastic bags and freeze them. No need to wash or dry separately as they don't stick together. To use, I run them under warm water and the skin pops off.

Another idea would be to freeze them, skin them, then let them thaw in a colander for several hours to remove a lot of the water before cooking and canning them.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2015   #7
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

All great ideas! I had a gazillion volunteer plants last year, both grape and cherry. I made tomato sauce with them, skins n all. I used an immersion blender and was fine with the results. Cherry tomatoes have a lot of flavor!

Pints - 35 mins in boiling water bath with 1 Tbl lemon juice per jar

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_03/tomato_sauce.html
Old August 1, 2015   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Juice them. You seldom have too many tomatoes. The Champion Juicer is not required Just the straining will suffice. This is not for long term storaage but for current use. If the juice if required longer it must be frozen or canned.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...%20Juice/HTML/ 27 July 2015 Tomato Juice
First picking of tomatoes of about ten pounds of various. Five pounds of the best were selected for the table and the remainder was made into juice for current use.Tomatoes were cut into quarters, placed in a pot with a liter of water, boiled until soft and hand blended into a slurry.The slurry was strained through a screen and the residue was put through a Champion juicer to extract all nutrients. Two liters plus a glass of juice was obtained and will be utilized for current consumption.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote