Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 19, 2010   #31
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Galina's Yellow X Black Krim F1:

I only had room for one of these. It gave me a medium-sized plant with large cherry tomatoes (0.4 to 0.9 oz). Color is red with yellow epidermis. Flavor started out at 7.5 in our colder spring and progressed to 8.0 this week. This is very good since most of my cherry tomatoes only reached a 7.0 in spring and are around 7.5 now. I will definitely grow out the F2 this fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galina x Blk Krim F1 several on plate.jpg (187.0 KB, 58 views)
Old August 14, 2010   #32
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I don't have much to report due to an absolutely crummy season. I do have a few tomatoes on the plant, still green as can be but hopefully they will ripen before frost. I will be growing all the new crosses from Raymondo and others again next year. It is nice to see what they look like when ripe Linda.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2010   #33
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Hey Linda- Galina's x Black Krim looks amazing.

That's an awesome cross. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses!!!!

If you have any F2 seed to spare, I would love to grow a few plants

Matt
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2010   #34
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda10 View Post
Galina's Yellow X Black Krim F1:

I only had room for one of these. It gave me a medium-sized plant with large cherry tomatoes (0.4 to 0.9 oz). Color is red with yellow epidermis. Flavor started out at 7.5 in our colder spring and progressed to 8.0 this week. This is very good since most of my cherry tomatoes only reached a 7.0 in spring and are around 7.5 now. I will definitely grow out the F2 this fall.
Linda, I haven't been following everything as I would hope to do but wanted to comment on this cross.

In an earlier post I had said that Steve Draper did the exact same cross and had sent me 5 F1 seeds. Of course I didn't really need to put out more than one plant but I put out three and as expected all were identical.

But the fruits you show were not the same as I saw on the F1 plants.

The fruits I saw were more in the 4-5 oz range, much larger than a cherry, and the color was a deep dusky purplish color.

I think I also said that from F2 saved seeds in successive years I put out a lot of F2 plants and not once got any gene segregation. All the plants I put out were of course RL and indet, but not a vigorous indet, actually very sparse foliage and very rangy.

many years later someone said they did get something that segregated out but I can't remember what it was.

So I hope you get more segregation than I ever got.

Since small fruit size is dominant to large fruit size both Steve and I had expected something kind of between the sizes of Black Krim and Galina and that's what he got and I saw with the F1 seeds he sent.
Old July 31, 2011   #35
travis
Tomatovillian™

The F1 fruit from Galina's x Black Krim should look like Linda's tomatoes, red, round, and 2.5 to 3.5 ounces tops. I'm assuming here that Black Krim is 8 - 14 ounces tops (say 9 ounce average) and Galina's is one ounce. I would also say the F1 fruit would have 3 relatively large and open seed locules too. No black/gf, yellow flesh, cherries or beefsteaks should show up until at least the F2.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
The F1 fruit from Galina's x Black Krim should look like Linda's tomatoes, red, round, and 2.5 to 3.5 ounces tops. I'm assuming here that Black Krim is 8 - 14 ounces tops (say 9 ounce average) and Galina's is one ounce. I would also say the F1 fruit would have 3 relatively large and open seed locules too. No black/gf, yellow flesh, cherries or beefsteaks should show up until at least the F2.
Travis, did you read post 34 I think it was/is, where I said that Steve Draper had done the same cross of Galina X Black Krim and I described what the F1 fruits looked like, etc., from the F1 seeds he sent me, as well as a bit about the F2 growouts?
Old July 31, 2011   #37
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, post #34. I wonder if Draper did Black Krim x Galina's, or Galina's x Black Krim?

Sounds like he did Black Krim x Galina's but failed to get a cross or a complete cross, because no way should that cross give you purple fruit in the F1. Definitely should be red fruit. Also, fruit size of 5 oz. seems about 2x larger than should be in the F1 for a 1-oz. cherry x Black Krim. And I'm not sure Galina's is even 1 ounce in weight.

I think maybe your "F1" seeds were Black Krim alone, and were smallish due to some other reason.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #38
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

My Galina's (Yellow) are about 1/4 oz. and I'm sure I've never had one over a half-ounce. They are really quite small for me, smaller than Sun Gold, for instance.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Yes, post #34. I wonder if Draper did Black Krim x Galina's, or Galina's x Black Krim?

Sounds like he did Black Krim x Galina's but failed to get a cross or a complete cross, because no way should that cross give you purple fruit in the F1. Definitely should be red fruit. Also, fruit size of 5 oz. seems about 2x larger than should be in the F1 for a 1-oz. cherry x Black Krim. And I'm not sure Galina's is even 1 ounce in weight.

I think maybe your "F1" seeds were Black Krim alone, and were smallish due to some other reason.
If only I had perfect memory, it's not perfect but what I do know is that knowing Steve it would have been Galina X Black Krim so that he knew if the cross took and that all five F1 plants were RL.

I grew Galina's when it was first made available by Bill McDorman and it was not smaller than Sungold F1 and I'd estimate maybe 1-2 oz.

I also had grown Black Krim and the French version Noire de Crimmee so know what Black Krim should be.

All to say that what I got on all 5 F1 plants was kind of a dusky color, not red and not purple as I understand purple and the best comparison I can make is with the color of Pale Perfect Purple bred by Tad Smith.

As to shape, all were globes. As to size, I may be a bit off on this but maybe in the 3-5 oz range, I just can't remember.

I also remember that I grew out 6 plants in the summer of 1998 and another 6 plants in the summer of 1999 and got essentially no gene segregation but as I said above some others did, I don't remember what they got, from my saved F2 seeds.

I think I may have even offered those F2 seeds in a seed offer either at AOL or Garden Web, where I was doing seed offers at the time.

I have to search my vials for a couple of varieties for Tania and if I come across those saved F2 seeds from Galina X Black Krim, well, I'll let you know about it.