Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 24, 2012   #16
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Dice and others - can you use Promix for potting up? I use Promix in containers, but I've always potted up in a starter mix because it is so light and fluffy. Promix is pretty tough stuff...I would worry about the initial transferring of the young plants. I definitely don't want to kill off a bunch of 3-4 inch seedlings!

Dewayne.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2012   #17
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Dice and others - can you use Promix for potting up? I use Promix in containers, but I've always potted up in a starter mix because it is so light and fluffy. Promix is pretty tough stuff...I would worry about the initial transferring of the young plants. I definitely don't want to kill off a bunch of 3-4 inch seedlings!

Dewayne.
Ever since I have been using the deep plug trays I start my mater plants in pro mix.I let them get about a foot tall,removing cover leaves,starer leaves(as soon as they wilt) and transplant to containers up to 75%.After the season is over I noticed that the buried stems so convert to roots.I will then shake them out into the lawn and I have the greenist lawn on the block.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2012   #18
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Auggie...Promix is available at Soil Service on 71st and Troost in KC. They also have bulk perlite and vermiculite...very good prices.
Old January 24, 2012   #19
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

As for potting up after using pro-mix to start seedlings, I use a mix of 8-1-1 Compost, perlite, vermiculite and have excellent results.
Old January 25, 2012   #20
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
can you use Promix for potting up?
Sure. If you look at this page, it recommends different uses for
the different Pro-Mix nursery formulations:
http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/pea...al-production/
I expect that anything that listed "Bedding Plants" would be good for
potting up sprouted seedlings (and I would probably sprout seeds in it,
too, although only a couple of those products list "seed germination"
as a recommended use).
Old January 25, 2012   #21
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Another bid for an answer to how 3.8 cu ft compares in size to the mixes sold in bags. Is the bale compressed? There is a volume measure on the bale; but is that a compressed or uncompressed measure? I'm sure the bags are uncompressed.

One of the reasons I'd like to know is occassionally the bags go on sale and if the volume measure is uncompressed the bags would be cheaper than a bale.

Last edited by ljp; January 25, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: additional comment
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012   #22
WillysWoodPile

I use Pro-Mix BX. It's about $34-$36 plus tax for a 3.8 cu. ft. bale. in my area. And last year, when I was at a large greenhouse, they had a "bale" of Pro-Mix the size of a garage there.
Old January 26, 2012   #23
kurt
Tomatovillian™

On thier site(Premier Horticulture)they have a FAQ section.It states that .5cubic foot compressed will yield 1 cubic foot of material when properly loosened.They also have a neat cost and volume calculator section for trays and containers,just punch in the numbers and hit enter.Also they have a wide range of pro mix products so using the word pro mix would not be definitive as would be using the actual name of thier product(i.e.promix hp,pro mix bio,loose,compressed etc.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote