Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 17, 2011   #1
jmhewitt
Tomatovillian™

Default 3-2-1 mix ingredients

I am using Self Watering Containers of various types.

1. Went to my local hydroponics store today, intending to get another bag of the usual perlite. he only had the very large pieces of perlite and said that it might work better.

has anyone used this large perlite.....(I didn't buy it yet.)

2. I have been using the Timberline Pine Bark Fines / Soil Conditioner from Lowes, at $3.00 per 1.5 cu ft bag. the hydroponics store offered Happy Frog Soil Conditioner at $19.95 a bag....is there any reason to prefer the Happy Frog, which seems to be about 3 times as expensive???

Michael Hewitt
Hampstead, NC
jmhewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I would really try to find Medium size perlite. Large chunks will not be as effective in the aeration process. If you can't locate these, you can always put some in a large zip-lok bag and slight "crush" with a hammer, or other tool. Repeat as necessary to get the amount you need.

Regarding the Happy Frog - yes, it is an excellent product - but you are paying a premium for the Advertising, markup, etc. so I would stick with the less expensive "generic brand" that you found at Lowes.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #3
jmhewitt
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Raybo......

I can easily find the regular (finer) perlite, just wanted your opinion.....

I agree, the Happy Frog is already happy enough and I don't need to buy it!!!

Michael
Old August 28, 2011   #4
Tom M
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

You can also use pumice, if you have a Southern States around, they have a product called Dry Stall which is used in horse stalls. I have used it for years in container gardening to aerate the soil. It runs about $12.00 for about a 40 # bag.

Tom
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2011   #5
jmhewitt
Tomatovillian™

thanks, Tom.....I suppose you mean to replace the perlite?

Michael
Old August 30, 2011   #6
Tom M
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

Yes, It was a replacement for the perlite and the pumice does not float out of the pot which I think happens with the perlite.

Tom
Tom M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

I like the idea of the pumice pellets. I can't locate a store out here in the San Jose area that carries it. Guess next time I am in "horse country", I'll look for a Feed Store and try there. I am thinking of a 50/50% mix of the Perlite and pumice, as a starting point, to make up the "1" in the 3-2-1 Combo Mix.

I am also now experimenting with adding in 1 Cup of Epsom Salts along with the Dolomite Lime. I've now done this in 3 'Tainers for my second planting of Fall tomatoes.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote