Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2016   #16
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
Yes, it would be wonderful. I manage to have peppers ripen for me throughout the winter (from plants I dig up before frost and put into pots), but as soon as I run out of stored tomatoes, that's it till midsummer.
PM me your address.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2016   #17
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I do.
Alright! I will be standing by yhe mailbox waiting patiently If your looking for any seed let me know
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2016   #18
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

I will be waiting by the mailbox too. There is not much choice for micros or small enough to easily grow indoors now. It would be great to open up those choices fo those that want to grow indoors almost year round.

Dan I do have another question, on average what was the dtm you were getting on your f2's?
Old February 5, 2016   #19
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to this..!
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #20
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

PM sent.
Old February 6, 2016   #21
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the detailed thread, very informative, which I appreciated. Hopefully I can report back I found a great tasting micro or three!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #22
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

The seeds are in the hands of the US Postal Service. Feel free to PM me with any questions - or post them here.... And thanks!
Old February 18, 2016   #23
charline
Tomatovillian™

I did resist until now but its so tempting.....
would you send seeds to France?
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2016   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dan, in your first post you said something like potential to be larger and I had a picture in my mind of an elderly man holding a de colgar multiflora with HUGE fruits. and it's taken me and hour to find it,so ya'll better enjoy looking at it,posted byIlex

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34658&page=4

Post # 47

I just got about 20 new varieties from Ilex,via SSE Yearbook, and mentioned to him about the one in post #47, and there were 3 deColgar ones sent but I don't yet know if any of them were like the one in the picture, or smilar.

In the last year or so I have become very interested in Spanish varieties b/c there are now a few in Spain who are sourcing large family ones, GWRipe ones and so much more. Vladimir's thread with his Spanish Project last year was also an eye opener for me as well.

When the Spanish took tomato seeds from Mexico they spread them to several places, but especially Portugal and Spain,which back then were not two separate countries.

So by mutation and X pollination they have more time than elsewhere to develop the biological diversity that's now being seen.

I was VERY impressed with that picture in post#47.

Carolyn
Old February 18, 2016   #25
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I did resist until now but its so tempting.....
would you send seeds to France?
I'd be happy to. I believe I still have your address if it hasn't changed. PM me and let me know if you want dwarf or micro and how many.
Old February 18, 2016   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Dan, in your first post you said something like potential to be larger and I had a picture in my mind of an elderly man holding a de colgar multiflora with HUGE fruits. and it's taken me and hour to find it,so ya'll better enjoy looking at it,posted byIlex

Post # 47

I just got about 20 new varieties from Ilex,via SSE Yearbook, and mentioned to him about the one in post #47, and there were 3 deColgar ones sent but I don't yet know if any of them were like the one in the picture, or smilar.

In the last year or so I have become very interested in Spanish varieties b/c there are now a few in Spain who are sourcing large family ones, GWRipe ones and so much more. Vladimir's thread with his Spanish Project last year was also an eye opener for me as well.

When the Spanish took tomato seeds from Mexico they spread them to several places, but especially Portugal and Spain,which back then were not two separate countries.

So by mutation and X pollination they have more time than elsewhere to develop the biological diversity that's now being seen.

Carolyn
Just updating b/c I got the variety descriptions from Ilex about an hour ago and he DID send the one from the elderlyman, and two more multifloras, and a couple of new GWRipes as wellas that beautiful striped one he pictured,

So tonight I am happy happy.

Carolyn
Old February 18, 2016   #27
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Post # 47

Carolyn
That is really impressive. I would love to see if we could develop something like that here.

I don't know enough about genetics to say for sure, but I think I have the start of developing a large-fruited multiflora. I have a lot of F2 seed of crosses of the Red Robin X Rose Quartz multiflora micros (the one ChrisK developed) with Brandywine Cowlick's, Pink Pioneer and Margaret Curtain. I have been growing out the F2s and culling for multiflora micros or small dwarfs that can be grown in pots or on a shelf indoors. I have many other crosses, but they are at the F1 stage now.

If I am correct in my understanding of the genetics, that means I am throwing away about 63 of every 64 plants I start. That seems to be close approximation to what I am seeing - One in four is dwarf - one in four of those is micro - and one in four of those is multiflora.

On the flip-side, it means that of the three in four that are full-size plants, one in four of those is multiflora. That means that 19% (about 1 in 5) of those full-size plants is multiflora. I think if someone grew out a bunch of those, we would see fairly quickly how the larger fruited plants do when they have the multiflora gene. The multiflora plants should be identifiable before they need to be planted, so someone would not have to waste garden space on the non-multiflora plants. They could concentrate only on the multiflora looking for size.

I know that small fruit size is dominant over large fruit size in the initial F1 growout. Frogsleap Farms had an excellent blog post explaining fruit size in crosses. The fruit size in the F2s & F3s trend more closely to the smaller size in most cases, but a certain percentage will have the size of the larger fruit in the original cross.

I don't have the garden space to do a proper grow-out to find the large-fruited multiflora. I would love to find someone who wanted to search for a large-fruited multiflora. I have plenty of F2 seed from those crosses and would be happy to send some to anyone willing to grow some out and report back on T'ville.
Old February 18, 2016   #28
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Just updating b/c I got the variety descriptions from Ilex about an hour ago and he DID send the one from the elderlyman, and two more multifloras, and a couple of new GWRipes as wellas that beautiful striped one he pictured,

So tonight I am happy happy.

Carolyn
So, how does someone go about getting a seed or two??????
Old February 23, 2016   #29
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

Dan

Wanted to let you know, I got the seeds yesterday and started them last night. Will keep in touch to let you know what I get from them and how things progress.
Old February 23, 2016   #30
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

Was excited to get the seeds yesterday, and plan to get these started very soon.

Hopefully I will find something interesting! I will keep you updated.

Thanks,
Carrie
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote