Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 8, 2019   #3016
bower
Tomatovillian™

We've had some howling winds lately but they've been from S and SE instead of the usual NW for this time of year. Temperatures are decent, with daytime highs above normal and around 50 F every third day in the forecast for this week. We haven't had a day of below zero temps yet, although there've been lots of frosty mornings. And some windchills below zero. Looks like we could have the killing frost tomorrow night, but it's nothing to complain about by local standards!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2019   #3017
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I saw my first snowflakes of the season, this morning. And I mean snowflakes, not snowflakes.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2019   #3018
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I saw my first snowflakes of the season, this morning. And I mean snowflakes, not snowflakes.

Does this mean you have gone flaky on us? <grin>

So far, no rain today and a tad bit warmer, though it is still cold and damp. 44F here right now, low of 31F. But tomorrow will supposedly be a heat wave up to 70F!!!! Will have to open the house a bit and do a nice air exchange and maybe warm the house a bit.
Old November 11, 2019   #3019
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Here's another weather omen I read just yesterday and now I can't remember who said it and where they're located. I swear, my brains must be dripping out of my left ear again. I hope it wasn't in here so I apologize if this is a duplicate of someone else's thoughts. I don't think it was because I remember wanting to post it to this thread. Sigh....

Anyway, *someone* said that it's going to be a pretty cold winter because the cattle's coats are so thick they almost look like a different breed.

I guess we'll see!

Last edited by GoDawgs; November 11, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019   #3020
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Smokey is putting on her winter coat.
Never in my life have I ever seen it get this cold this soon in this area of Texas.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2019   #3021
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

not just cold, but dang cold here. temps never got out of the teens today. snow showers
off and on. too soon for this crud. supposed to warm up later in the week according to
a church member. i blew snow off the driveway today with the tractor to keep it tidy.
opening day deer season might be a cold one. some snow on the ground is desirable
for hunters for tracking. a couple of feet of snow would be not so good. we aren't that bad yet.

not yet.

keith
Old November 12, 2019   #3022
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

(((NOT ))))) looking forward to the next few days here, 'not at all.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019   #3023
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
(((NOT ))))) looking forward to the next few days here, 'not at all.
a low of 11f tonight. they raised it from 8. woo hoo!
this morning we went to salt and plow. never have we had to plow or salt at the beginning of November.

Last edited by clkeiper; November 12, 2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: mistake.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019   #3024
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

We haven't had our first frost here on the coast of Virginia, but supposed to go down to 30 tonight. Picked all the green tomatoes and planted garlic yesterday rather than take a chance. Warm back up in a couple of days.

We haven't had frost here until the first week of November since I have been keeping track (4 or 5 years). The old timers tell me they remember frost here in September. The bay and rivers keep us warmer here for a while. 20 or 25 miles inland can have frost a month earlier. 6 1/2 feet above sea level and sinking. The good news is the sea level is only rising a foot every 50 to 75 years. The bad news is the sea level is rising a foot every 50 to 75 years
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019   #3025
bower
Tomatovillian™

Just a beautiful day here presently 37 F and mainly sunny with light SE winds. Light winds means I finally got the chance to go build my roadside allium chaff/tomato plant compost/hugel thing. Future soil for a lucky shrub or tree. I got the last of my bought compost out of the tarp and folded that and put away.

We are having cool days and windy but all the precip in the forecast is on strong systems from S and SE, so I doubt we'll see snow on the ground this week. The temperatures are on a yo-yo with those southerly systems, and forecast high for tomorrow to go above 60 F. Too bad it will be raining and blowing a gale.
This time last year the nasty wintry weather was already closing in. We rarely get that in the first half of November, but pretty common from time to time in late Nov. It can also be mostly nice right into december or even January with no snow on ground. Not very predictable, lots of room for hopes and dreams. A few days ago, I found a professional forecast of climate change in my area - the temperature change in winter, spring and summer is pretty small, but the autumn temp increase is expected to be three times as much. Still mulling over that and whether it will be advantageous in any way, since the days of course are dwindling and are just too short at some point. Oh well, no doubt we'll take whatever we get. The only rule that seems to work here is, expect surprises.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019   #3026
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've been awake since 4 tossing and turning in bed trying to get comfortable, I finally got up and was stiff and sore. I couldn't figure out why but saw the temp dropped from 70's yesterday to 37 this morning. A sure sign of getting old is arthritis when the temp changes fast.

We have a hard freeze warning for tonight with an expected low of 26, that's cold for down here this early.
Old November 12, 2019   #3027
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

A low of 51 this morning and it's 59 now but from here temps will drop through the day and bottom out in the 20's. The stuff in the tunnels in the garden will do fine but last night I got to thinking about the carrot seedlings (up about 2") and the radishes so I dropped a light layer of pine straw over them.

Right now it's 36 in Atlanta, about 2 hours west of here so it's coming.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019   #3028
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I pulled all my eggplants this morning. Many peppers have been transplanted to the Greenhouse. All Tomatoes still producing might survive the cold tonight. They are just too big to transplant. I am saying good-bye to the Granny Hearts. They were my best sellers for 2019, maybe because of my 3-year-old Grandchild introducing them people.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019   #3029
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe how cold it is in north Texas one month before winter officially arrives. We had wind gusts yesterday of fifty miles per hour and my morning temp was 22 degrees F, When the north wind blew in yesterday, the trees which had barely started changing color began losing their leaves. The air around my property looked like a giant blizzard of leaves. It was an unusual sight, but very beautiful. This morning, there are very few leaves on the ground. The wind not only blew them off the trees, it also blew them away. Someone, somewhere; has some huge leaf piles and many of them are mine.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2019   #3030
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Does this mean you have gone flaky on us? <grin>

So far, no rain today and a tad bit warmer, though it is still cold and damp. 44F here right now, low of 31F. But tomorrow will supposedly be a heat wave up to 70F!!!! Will have to open the house a bit and do a nice air exchange and maybe warm the house a bit.

I went flaky 4,588 posts ago.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote