Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 15, 2009   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

If I look at the post here:

Quote:
The parents of a commercial hybrid tomato cultivar would have to be TWO stable, open pollinated breeding lines because then you'd have TWO parents whose homozygotous genes will combine in heterozygotous pairs.

Regardless of how many "inputs" there are to the end resulting F1 seed that is marketed, there are still only TWO immediate parents to the final product ... one is the pollen donor and the other is the pollen recipient (seed mother) ... not withstanding reciprocal crosses.

If you were to cross a heterozygotous (F1 hybrid) tomato with a stable, open pollinated tomato, you would NOT get the same identical gene pairing in each extracted seed.
This tells me that

A) My whole example above about Sun Gold being a hybrid of hybrids is a fantasy I created in my head and not really possible or done.

B) All hybrids without exception are A+B crosses of two stable OP lines. Any talk of "multiple parental inputs" is just a mental exercise. It's something which appears on a tomato genealogy chart but is of no relevance to the workers as they are making A+B crosses. So Sun Gold is still your bog standard A+B cross. Now, the origins of A and B are probably very interesting. Crossing currant tomatoes and other tomatoes. Probably backcrossing to get certain characteristics.

But the ABCD thing? Sorry folks, it doesn't exist.

I knew there was a reason I didn't post in Crosstalk.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #17
travis
Tomatovillian™

With a name like "Fabulous", it is a perfect set up to disappoint!

Possibly, but I find Fabulous to taste substantially better than several other determinate hybrids grown in identical conditions both in the field and in low tunnels. No, it's not as tasty as the indeterminate, old fashioned tomatoes we grow, but it is better than most modern determinate hybrids I've tasted.

The article which kygreg links to mentions Red Defender, Scarlet Red, SecuriTY-28 and Mountain Glory. SecuriTY-28 basically is bred to acclimate to California conditions says Rogers Sygenta and they recommend Mountain Glory for Texas eastward into the Southeast.

Like Fabulous, I found Mountain Glory to be much tastier than Mountain Spring which is its forerunner - Mountain Glory being basically Mountain Spring + TSWV resistance. I don't know anything first hand about Red Defender, and Scarlet Red crashed on takeoff last year. I will have some Scarlet Red to taste this fall and I'm looking forward to it at least meeting some of its claim for "enhanced" flavor.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #18
travis
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, I find your messages informative and interesting. Your work with SETTFest also is fantastic. You should continue to post in Crosstalk as much of what you said is true. I was just pointing out what I have learned from what I though were reliable sources and a scant scintilla of experience. But I could be wrong about crossing F1s with F1s because the breeders may know secrets not yet revealed to us commoners.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

In reply to your other post, when people ask me what determinate tomatoes I grow, the answer so far has been none. If pressed, I suggest Jet Star and Gregori's Altai as some of the better behaved, smaller indets I grow.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote