Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 4, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Rainy Days and Peppers, Etc.

It’s Day 3 of a four day stretch of rain. Another 1-2" possible today. At least the worst of it will pass south of us. Goodloe, got your water wings on and a canoe handy?

BUT...It's "Start The Peppers, Eggplant and Roselle Day"! First I had to move some stuff outside to the porch to make room under the lights so out went the 20 asparagus seedlings and two kinds of scallions. Also on the table are two dormant cannas and one potted camellia, both awaiting planting.

Then the following were started:

Pepper, Ancho
Pepper, Biquinho
Pepper, Carolina Wonder - nematode resistant bell
Pepper, Charleston Belle - nematode resistant bell
Pepper, Gypsy
Pepper, Jalapeno M
Pepper, Mucho Nacho
Pepper, Maule's Red Hot Cayenne
Pepper, Red Marconi
Eggplant, Millionaire
St. Kitts & Nevis Roselle - darker red than the Thai red I tried last year
Thai Red Roselle - Growing again to compare to St. K&N

Meanwhile the first round of broccoli, cabbage, collards and kale are more than ready to be planted out when the beds finally dry out a bit. I might have to put some in buckets as they're close to being rootbound.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2020   #2
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Those look so cheerful! What an investment in hope for spring, even if it's rainy.

Do you use those pots with saran wrap as your greenhouses for germinating? That's genius! I usually save old plastic containers like milk jugs, then transplant - but that gets old poking holes in surfaces that often don't want to have holes poked in them. I may just save plastic containers like this for next year and cover with saran wrap.

Thanks for the idea, and good luck with your babies!
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2020   #3
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Hey GoDawgs! Yup, >3" of rain here this week...that's on top of the 15" we got in February...

I just finished up-potting my pepper seedlings, 53 total. I'm trying out a tode resistant cayenne variety this year, "Numex Nematador". I should have plenty of seeds later in the year. Let me know....

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2020   #4
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Have outstanding pepper season this year so far. Have plenty of pepper seeds if anyone is interested:

Red Marconi - some of mine were more cone shape than lobed.

Cayenne

Ozark Giant

Sweet Banana

Hungarian Wax ( hot )

Scotch Bonnet - very HOT...ripens to orange then red

Send me PM and SASE if interested.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2020   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
Those look so cheerful! What an investment in hope for spring, even if it's rainy.

Do you use those pots with saran wrap as your greenhouses for germinating? That's genius! I usually save old plastic containers like milk jugs, then transplant - but that gets old poking holes in surfaces that often don't want to have holes poked in them. I may just save plastic containers like this for next year and cover with saran wrap.

Thanks for the idea, and good luck with your babies!
I've put saran wrap over pots and cell packs for ages. As soon as stuff starts coming up, I remove those from under the wrap and set them in those styro meat trays like those on the porch. The meat trays are great for bottom watering. Just put the water in the tray and the plants will suck it up though the drainage holes in the pots and packs.

These particular pots are ages old. I just wash and sanitize them every year for reuse. Way long ago someone was selling several big cartons of these small pots for about $15 and you know I had to have them.

Once the peppers get about 6" tall I'll move them up to recycled quart-sized cottage cheese and yogurt containers. I have a whole bunch of these as my sister goes through one a week and I drill 1/4" drainage holes in them. The peppers will grow in those until it's plant out time. Hey, free is free and they work great!

Old March 6, 2020   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Hey GoDawgs! Yup, >3" of rain here this week...that's on top of the 15" we got in February...

I just finished up-potting my pepper seedlings, 53 total. I'm trying out a tode resistant cayenne variety this year, "Numex Nematador". I should have plenty of seeds later in the year. Let me know....
That would be great! Are they a Big Jim type of anaheim or other? Will be following your progress with these.
Old March 6, 2020   #7
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Quick Tip:
When making containers from used yogurt and other plastic containers is to use an inexpensive soldering iron rather than a drill for making the drainage holes. Safer and easier than a drill but avoid the toxic fumes...

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Sold...%2C173&sr=8-51
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2020   #8
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
That would be great! Are they a Big Jim type of anaheim or other? Will be following your progress with these.
Here's a link to the Numex Nematador. They appear to be more of a "long" type cayenne...

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Cayenne_Pepper

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2020   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Here's a link to the Numex Nematador. They appear to be more of a "long" type cayenne...

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...Cayenne_Pepper
Thanks for that paper. Interesting how they developed the pepper. I just know that I wouldn't want to be the one who counted nematode eggs on roots of 124 plants Talk about going cross-eyed!

I see mentioned a 'Carolina Cayenne' which is supposed to be very resistant. Never heard of it but that was back in 1994 when they tested that one so it may be gone now. I'll have to see. I've been growing Maule's Red Hot for a while now and it makes some nice long peppers.

I just checked and we had 8.61" in February, about half of yours but twice as much as the February average for here.

Last edited by GoDawgs; March 7, 2020 at 11:40 AM.