Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 16, 2012   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default All time record for days to germination..

A few types of basil and a variety of Marigold up in one day from planting. Amazing how anxious some seeds are to burst forth!

This year things seem to be germinating particularly quickly for me.....probably because we are keeping my office door closed (cats and flats of germinating seedlings don't mix), and it is a small room with two heating vents - so really goes get and stay quite warm in there.
Old February 16, 2012   #2
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Wow...that's fast! I had lettuce and basil germinate in 3 days and I though that was quick! I'm starting tomato seeds this weekend...yay!
Old February 16, 2012   #3
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Craig, do you plant by the moon cycles? If so, do you believe this influenced the speedy germination?
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

No, I don't pay attention to them - just plant when it is time for me to plant - my target is always saleable seedlings by mid April, so begin transplanting in mid March, so planting early to mid Feb.
Old February 16, 2012   #5
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I have to say I've never seen a difference one way or the other.
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2012   #6
pattiann
Tomatovillian™

Default the moon cycles

glad this question was asked! Saved me from having to post and ask it! After reading about moon cycles and learning from them that no one is to plant between the full moon and the new moon, I thought to myself, that's a lot of time there and when counting back from the last frost for me, it interfered too much with my plans. Thanks for the info from you experienced gardeners

Patti
pattiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2012   #7
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

My tomato plants were up in less than 72 hrs this year. That seemed pretty quick to me. It was my first time using heat mats.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #8
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
A few types of basil and a variety of Marigold up in one day from planting. Amazing how anxious some seeds are to burst forth!

This year things seem to be germinating particularly quickly for me.....probably because we are keeping my office door closed (cats and flats of germinating seedlings don't mix), and it is a small room with two heating vents - so really goes get and stay quite warm in there.
Mine green cabbage sprouted in 24 hours this year! I am not sure if it is the Hoffmans mix that I have tried for the first time or the fact that after planting I doused everything with an extremely dilute dose of tomato-tone but everything is coming up really fast this year. Even stuff that I couldn't get going after multiple tries last year is sprouting!

Stacy

http://gardenmutiny.blogspot.com
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #9
clara
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday, I thought I couldn't trust my eyes: All my Zucchini seeds popped up after only 24 hours (Black Beauty and Cousa Libanaise). Today it's sure: 100% germination! Wow, that was unexpectedly fast. Now I'm waiting for the first tomatoes (same tray) - perhaps tomorrow? clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #10
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I started seed in 14 trays on 2/14/2012. today I have about 35% germination and obvious signs many more are about to pop. They were sitting on top of the fluorescent light fixtures that were keeping my peppers happy. The temperature was about 80 to 85 degrees in the trays. That brings tomatoes up in jig time.

One major difference this year is the planning that went in ahead of time. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the varieties of seed that I have. I went through the sheet and carefully picked out the varieties that I want to grow in my garden this season. It worked out to 178 which at 3 plants per will be 534 plants that I will be tending this year. That is a LOT of tomatoes to pick. After that, i started 3 trays that will wind up at a local seed store. Those three trays will produce about 5000 seedlings.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012   #11
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

3 days for the first Cherokee Purple to emerge!! woo hoo!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012   #12
clara
Tomatovillian™

72 hours for the first tomatoes to pop up - I'm more than pleased as this is a tray with some older seeds, apparently not as old as I had thought. The Zucchini are already touching the cover, so I have to transplant them tomorrow. clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012   #13
WillysWoodPile

My basil seed from Baker Creek; Cinnamon, Genovese, Lime, and Lemon, all came up overnight. Less than 24 hours. I was quite shocked.
I think around 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 days was my fastest germination for tomato seed last year. That was in a 60 cell Park-Seed Bio-Dome. And 3 days in a butter bowl with Pro-Mix BX. I would have to pull out my notes from last year to give exact figures and varieties.
I believe I also had an Albino Bullnose Pepper seed pop up in 3 days.
Old February 21, 2012   #14
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

4 days for 4 Shannon's to pop!

Nothing else but the Cherokee Purple.

Hope the next few days will have them popping by the hour!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2012   #15
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post

Oh man, why didn't you warn me sooner! The kittens knocked over the Hoy, Blush and Hayes that Carolyn sent me. I got one out of six Blush and Hayes to germinate and nada from the Hoy.

Hoy was the one I wanted the most. Murphy's law strikes again.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote