Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 16, 2014   #1
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Default Propagating Peppers from cuttings.

Has anyone grown peppers from cuttings? I know tomatoes will grow from just sticking prunings into ground. What about peppers? How hard and fussy is it?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Can I add one little question to this one? Has anyone used honey as a rooting agent for peppers or other plants? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQX9kUAohk
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #3
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i had this question also! i'm gonna take some pepper cuttings this year and see how they go i hope someone with exp chimes in soon
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I never heard of using honey, but it must work due to its antibacterial nature.

Willow trees have a rooting hormone in them, and some people make their own from it. But the powdered stuff is very cheap to buy.

Cuttings can root in just about anything. The key is keeping the right oxygen/water ratio in whatever media you use.

Hydro stores typically have several expensive machines on display, and it is not that hard to copy most of the designs. High-pressure aeroponics is the best propagation method by far, but the setups are complicated and fairly expensive. You can build a simple machine with either an air or water pump that will still work fairly well for just a few cuttings.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #5
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

peppers do not root as easily as tomatoes but will root, generally take around 2 weeks to do so. i prefer liquid rooting hormone such as dip n grow to the powders. i have never tried honey. i use mouthwash cups with a mix of 3/4 vermiculite and 1/4 potting soil for rooting.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2014   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

I tried to root pepper cuttings once, in a glass of water - got nothing for my efforts. May have been the wrong time of year though.

From what I have read, peppers will only make adventitious roots at a (former) leaf node, ie if you remove cotyledons and plant them deep enough they may root from there. I can say from experience I've not seen any roots from the stem below that level - I never seem to pot them quite deep enough to cover the leaf node, but when you tip them to repot, the upper soil is root free and just tumbles off.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2014   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I have rooted pepper cuttings, they take a lot longer than tomatoes. The only thing harder is that they need to be taken care of for so much longer than a tomato.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #8
Wil SC
Tomatovillian™

Last year I tried it with about 20 cuttings. I kept them moist enough that they looked great and kept thier leaves for 2-3 weeks using a mist bottle 5-10 times a day. Not a single one rooted. This was with both sweet and hot varities using a commercial rooting hormone. It's not easy to do.
Wil SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #9
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I have two that I transplanted not long ago. I cut them and used rooting hormone and stuck them in moist soil-less potting soil. It took them 3+ weeks to root. I almost gave up on them, but they stayed perky and did not wilt so I left them. They are very slow growing compared to ones started from seed. I am not sure it if is just these two or if it would be that way for any pepper propagated from a cutting. Lorri D
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #10
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil SC View Post
Last year I tried it with about 20 cuttings. I kept them moist enough that they looked great and kept thier leaves for 2-3 weeks using a mist bottle 5-10 times a day. Not a single one rooted. This was with both sweet and hot varities using a commercial rooting hormone. It's not easy to do.
I think they only root from specific areas of the stem, unlike tomatoes which will root about anywhere. I don't know exactly where on the stem that is, so I use a big cutting, with at least a leaf node or two below the soil mix.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Someone gave me a cutting of wandering jew when I was at farmer's market two weeks ago. I took it just to be polite. When I got home, I threw it in one of the cat's water dishes outside. And now it has roots. I'm pretty sure peppers or tomatoes would just rot in stagnant water, but some things apparently root a lot easier than others.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2014   #12
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Someone gave me a cutting of wandering jew when I was at farmer's market two weeks ago. I took it just to be polite. When I got home, I threw it in one of the cat's water dishes outside. And now it has roots. I'm pretty sure peppers or tomatoes would just rot in stagnant water, but some things apparently root a lot easier than others.
Sweet potatoes also do very well by just being put in some water.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote