Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 15, 2019   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This part could go in the general discussion area as it isn't just about container gardening. Some of it could go on the weather thread too. Anyway:

This has been the coolest summer I can remember in my 54 years (So far, it's July 15 and no 100F days.) However, the real heat is about to hit this week. My plans are to get every ripe and semi-ripe tomato off of the 7 plants today (Monday) and spray the plants with some 'Worry Safe' Pyrethrin spray. I've squashed two stinkbugs yesterday in my yard but not on the plants yet.

Why am I going to do this? "I might be wrong about this" but to me, it's part of over-summering. The temperatures are going to be above 95F, and I am to understand, tomato plants don't bloom well when it gets that hot. I know that blossoms and tomatoes themselves draw a lot of the plant's energy. To over-summer, those plants need their energy to survive. It gets complicated during and after that. Not only is it going to be hot, but it's very humid too - the Gulf of Mexico is only about 300 miles away to our south and our prevailing winds are from the south. Hot and wet is not a tomato plants' best friend.

I could graft, and I am going to, but to over-summer good looking plants is special. I have already started adjusting how I feed the plants. I'm going to concentrate on feeding them 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate in half dosage along with some magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt for uptake.) The idea is to keep the tomato plants happily surviving without the need to reproduce during the hot days. Will it work? I don't know, but I feel that I'm giving those plants a good chance.

I wouldn't be much of a gardener if I didn't try. As always, I respect whatever you would like to reply.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote