Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old May 1, 2011   #1
brog
Tomatovillian™

Default Neem=Actinovate

I hope I remember mixing act.+ Neem last year but can not find it in my notes. I hope you say yes. because I did this morning. I would PM Ami but this may help some other dumy.
Old May 1, 2011   #2
John3
Tomatovillian™

brog here's your link
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15886
"
Connected Natural Industries, Boomers response= Actinovate is a great mixer with anything except copper base products and any bactericide. Great help to me, hope it helps others.

BTW Bill I talked with Dave at Saltwater Farms (thay make a cold pressed seaweed/fish fert and SeaCom-PGR a liquid plant growth regulator) and he said that both of the two products can be added with neem oil along with MyGrow and BiotaMax. If you would like to read some about those check out my post here: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18010
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011   #3
brog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks John, I`m at point where I don`t trust myself from one year to the next and have to refer to my notes and to you. Ami and Raybo to keep me in line. I had a good year last year useing the same additives that you refer too\ THANKS and have a good year Bill
Old May 1, 2011   #4
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Brog - are you talking about neem oil concentrate, something like this product?

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011   #5
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
Brog - are you talking about neem oil concentrate, something like this product?

Regards,
D
Duh Vinci the link you posted does not link to neem oil it says Organocide and the Active ingredient: sesame oil 5.0% / inert ingredients: edible fish oil 92.0% and Lecithin 3.0%.- no neem oil

down a little ways it says products bought together and clicked on the neem oil which leads to here
http://www.amazon.com/Dyna-DYNEM032-..._bxgy_ol_img_b
and says "Cold pressed from the seeds of the neem tree" which cold press is the one you want to use if you use neem oil (btw that price for a qt is pretty high I useally get it for about half that)
Anyways is that the link you are talking about?
Old May 1, 2011   #6
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

John,

Sorry, copied the wrong link, yes that one... I have a small bottle of it to try. So I guess I'll be making a little cocktail in a week or so.

Thanks!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2011   #7
John3
Tomatovillian™

Duh Vinci - just a note for fungicide usage - try to apply it a few hours before it rains
Old May 2, 2011   #8
brog
Tomatovillian™

Jonh what is the reason for useing neem+actinovate just befor a rain
Old May 2, 2011   #9
John3
Tomatovillian™

Bill my typo - I meant to say use just the neem before a rain
"Neem Oil is an effective fungicide for the prevention and control of various fungal diseases including powdery mildew, black spot, downy mildew, anthracnose, rust, leaf spot, botrytis, needle rust, scab and flower, twig and tip blight, and alternaria."

Last edited by John3; May 2, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old May 2, 2011   #10
brog
Tomatovillian™

Thats great news. how long before repeating neem spray.
Old May 3, 2011   #11
John3
Tomatovillian™

OK I'll try and answer that - for around where I live I try to use neem oil when I spray my seaweed/fish fert once a week in the spring then when it gets hot try to apply as needed by looking at the plants - the neem want hurt the plants but if sprayed to often in the hot summer can cause some of the leaves to die as the oil may cover them for to long before it wears away, so in the hot summer days I try to spray around the ground around the plants. NOTE: neem oil will kill bees so don't spray them (the bees) or when they are very active another reason for spraying around the bottom of the plants during the hot summer. Then when Autumn comes back to spraying once a week.
Now having said that, if I think it's going to rain I try to get out an spray the neem oil all over the plants before it starts as a fungicide.
Now having said that your area may be different so you might have spray as you see best.
I am starting Ami's mix Raybo's this year - Actinovate, MyGrow and Biota Max once a month as a spray so I may mix like this once a month:
Saltwater Farm's seaweed/fish fert (their seaweed is cold pressed)
Saltwater Farm's SeaCom-PGR (a liquid plant growth regulator)
Actinovate
MyGrow
Biota Max
Neem Oil

Bill I hope that helps
Old May 3, 2011   #12
brog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks John, our climate is the same. I`ll try your schedule on 10 of my toms that are in a spot in my garden away from other toms.
Old May 4, 2011   #13
John3
Tomatovillian™

Bill I just remembered that a surfactant should be added to the mix (even when just using neem oil by itself) - two drops of Ivory dish washing soap (get the plain kind) per gal.