Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 1, 2018   #1
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Default Any ideas what these spots are?

Have a tomato plant with some strange dark "stains". Can't find any pictures on any disease ID documents that looks the same. Plant was still green and not wilted at all. I pulled it just in case. I sprayed other plants with soap and neem mixture the evening before, but none of the tomatoes. All the plants are in close proximity in various containers, and it almost appears as though overspray splashed onto the recently planted tomato transplant. It hasn't rained in forever, so that's the only time the leaves would have gotten splashed. The day before I took the pictures below, the leaves were perfectly normal. The plant is gone, but I'm asking so that I may be able to reuse the potting mix that it was planted in it it's not a disease.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2990.jpg (275.0 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2984.jpg (314.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2987.jpg (267.0 KB, 158 views)
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am not good with foliage issues, maybe MissS or Marsha will chime in after the holiday. Or some one else that is good at id'ing problems.

Myself, I don't think I would re use the potting mix in that pot.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Hi, It looks to me like it may be Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus (TSMV). This is usually spread by thrips. The disease is fatal. You can control thrips by using yellow sticky traps. For more information you may look at the 3rd thread in this section of the forum, Common Garden Diseases and Pests. Titled tomato spotted wilt virus. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1519

It also could be a burn from your spraying. Did you spray in full sunlight or in the evening? If the leaves were wet while in full sunlight this could be a burn from the magnified sun.

Did you check the undersides of the leaves for insects before disposing of the plants? It is possible that it could have been some kind of insect damage.
Old April 2, 2018   #4
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I sprayed the other plants around sunset the evening before. never saw any bugs on the bottom of the leaves and the spots were only on the upper surface of the leaves. I have yellow sticky traps on all of my plants and check them daily. I've not seen a thrip or whitefly on any of them. I guess I'll wait and see if it happens to any other plants in the absence of further spraying.

Last edited by DocBrock; April 2, 2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Add info
Old April 2, 2018   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Use a microscope and see if the spots are moving,looks like bugs are sucking on the veins.Magnifying glass
Old April 2, 2018   #6
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Looks like whatever it is, its traveling along the veins. Did you "feed" the plant something, by chance?
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #7
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I need to start hanging on to the plant longer to diagnose it. I usually panic and try to get it in the trash and away from my other plants as soon as possible. I had it in a swc and besides water, the only thing I put down the tube was liquid cal mag.
Old April 2, 2018   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Something unusual happened, that is my guess. Disease spots don't follow leaf veins, like in your pics. My guess is that the leaves were a little wet, and the water retreated into the recessed areas of the leaf veins, and then at some point you cultivated a disease in those wet areas, maybe some sort of mold. South Florida has all kinds of those.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Septoria is likely, and mimics TSWV, they look similar. Got a closeup of The bugs on your yellow sticky traps?
Septoria isn't fatal, but your going to need to clear away infected leaves, then copper spray every week for 3 times, then keep it up every 7-10days.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #10
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

This is a closeup of the sticky trap that was on that plant's container. Sorry it's dirty, a bunch of dry pro-mix blew onto it from the driveway while I was potting another plant. I made my own out of tanglefoot so they're la little more sloppy than the store bought traps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3001.jpg (335.5 KB, 97 views)
Old April 2, 2018   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

No thrips Brock, so I think it's Septoria.its getting too hot, not really supposed to cool off anytime soon, so not such bad news either way. The new season will be here in late August, before you know it.
Where is that sticky trap placed? Mine are hung up on the cages.
Old April 2, 2018   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Whatever it is it's not related to the potting mix probably. As other noted, the veins are affected so that does suggest something with the spray (it stays wet more in the vein depressions).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #13
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I usually hang them off the edge of the container or stick it on the EB cover. I tried to hang one on the cage and bc I was a little heavy with the tanglefoot it dripped onto a few plants in the heat and burned the leaves. I went ahead and took this as an opportunity to try out solarizing soil. I double bagged the soil from the affected bucket inside clear 2mil garbage bags and put it out on the driveway this morning. Around lunchtime I touched the surface with my hand, that gets incredibly hot!! I'm going to let my remaining tomato plants do what they do and see what happens in the heat. I've got a couple black cherries that are starting to fruit, but other than that my expectations of produce are low after my soil issue set me back a month or more. My watermelons and cucumbers are doing well in EB's, as are the various peppers I have growing. I'm going to start some okra seeds tomorrow.
Old April 2, 2018   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

A suggestion: hang the sticky traps off the cage with a clothes pin. It should be higher up, at mid plant or higher. Also both sides should be coated. And you can use Vaseline instead of tanglefoot, works great, much less mess, no drip. You can poke a hole in your trap and put a twist tie through it to fasten and suspend it from the cage .
Personally I can't be bothered to go to that much trouble so I just buy the yellow sticky traps on Amazon, please only use the Seabright labs brand, the others stick and kill birds and lizards.
They're less than a dollar a piece and one last the whole season.
Old April 2, 2018   #15
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I ordered some, they haven't arrived yet and I wanted to have some asap. That tanglefoot works well but it's pretty messy. I ordered the seabright ones based on your recommendations.