Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 10, 2018   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Are you talking about the model 1897 pump that you can hold the trigger down and it will fire every time you cycle the pump?
Has an external hammer on it?
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #32
MissS
Tomatovillian™

No that is not it. It is an older gun. I just looked and can not find the exact image of it. It is not a pretty gun but sure is nice. Of course the stock has been cut down so that it will fit a petite lady.

This one is very hard to find. My father wanted to buy another one like it but when he finally found it the price was exorbitant.
Old April 10, 2018   #33
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I hunt with a Winchester 1819 pump 20 gauge shotgun. I would love to take you on in a competition with this one. It is an awesome gun and everyone that tries it just can't miss. Fast and accurate, light, what more could you want?
Sounds like a sweet gun! Although, as mine is a single shot model, I imagine I wouldn't fare well in any sort of speed competition...

Jon

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #34
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The 28 gauge is one I've wondered about (I don't mean to go off-topic) -

20 gauge has a .615 bore.
28 gauge has a .550 bore.
A 410 is self explanatory.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #35
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Here's an off topic request (sort of).

I need to buy a shotgun. My blacksmith recommended a 20 ga. with birdshot.
I know nothing about shotguns, as all I have is a 22 caliber long rifle (Savage) and that's all I know.

My problem/target: I need something with which to shoot a drone out.
I have 20 acres, much of it in pasture and housing three horses in daily turnout.
Some fool has taken to flying a drone (looks like one of the $99. Walmart models) at my horses on occasion, which causes them to freak out and gallop at the barn big time in a panic..
Sheriff says they/we have no laws regarding drones and to contact the FAA.
Well, apparently FAA has yet to issue regulations regarding drones and harassment/trespass. Meanwhile, I have to worry about the horses getting injured as they panic when being pursued by the gosh darnoodley thing. Funny, ha ha...

I figure if there are no rules, I will take the gosh darnoodley thing out of the sky next time.

What gun/ammo would you recommend for this application?
Any and all replies much appreciated.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #36
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I learn a ton here about growing tomatoes because I'm a newbie, but shotguns and hunting is my expertise. You won't go wrong with a 20ga Remington 870 pump shotgun with #7-1/2 lead trap loads. That gun won't let you down, won't break the bank, and can be used for everything from varmints to deer(with slugs). I have a 20ga Remington 870 wingmaster that I've used for ducks, bunnies, turkeys, coyotes, and took a deer with it when I was a kid. I keep it for home defense now, which could include shooting down a pesky drone.
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #37
MissS
Tomatovillian™

For that job I think that I would use a 12 gauge. It has a bit more punch than the 20 gauge. If you are a decent shot give the rifle a go and see how it works for you. Perhaps you can borrow a gun from someone that you know or invite them over to do some "trap" shooting.
Old April 11, 2018   #38
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Technically you're right MissS, but I've been taught since I was young never to shoot a rifle up into the air because the bullet can travel a mile or more and you don't know where it's going to land. Shotshell pellets only make it around 600yds before they come down and have very little energy left when they do. A 12ga would be my choice too, but for a new shooter a 20ga would suffice without the added recoil.
Old April 11, 2018   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you have the money buy a Browning Auto loader.
One of the smoothest auto shotguns I have ever used.
I used to borrow one all the time to duck and goose hunt.
Old April 11, 2018   #40
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If you have the money buy a Browning Auto loader.
One of the smoothest auto shotguns I have ever used.
I used to borrow one all the time to duck and goose hunt.
That's what I use for waterfowl, Worth. I have a Browning Maxus, I love it. I hunt a lot of saltwater down here in south Florida and it's got some rust on it in some places, but it's never missed a beat. Also dropped it in a freezing river in Ohio and the shells that were in it fired once I retrieved it hahah.
Old April 11, 2018   #41
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrock View Post
Technically you're right MissS, but I've been taught since I was young never to shoot a rifle up into the air because the bullet can travel a mile or more and you don't know where it's going to land. Shotshell pellets only make it around 600yds before they come down and have very little energy left when they do. A 12ga would be my choice too, but for a new shooter a 20ga would suffice without the added recoil.
Yes, the range is my concern, also mine is a bolt action rifle, so it would take time to fire additional shots at a moving target. Besides which I am not that great a shot when firing under time duress and the shotgun would give me a better chance at hitting it in one shot. I'd worry about bullet travel, and don't want to risk problems with my neighbors.

The drone in question is no more than 16" max across and they fly it pretty low. I've seen it no more than 8-12 feet above ground when it was chasing the horses.

As a first timer (and I'm not that big) sounds like 20 ga. is what I need. Not sure I'd want to handle a 12 ga. that might knock me over.

Thanks, guys.

Would you worry about buying a new Remington now since they just announced they're fining bankruptcy?
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #42
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't worry, there's so many aftermarket parts made for those guns and they've made millions of them. All other manufacturers in that price category are junk. Don't even consider a Mossberg. My buddy got one for a hunt we did last year and he effectively bought a single shot. I've never heard anyone bad mouth an 870 when it comes to reliability. It's what the police carry.
Old April 11, 2018   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Beretta makes one heck of a good auto loader too.
customized one for a cop one time.
Very simple to work on and no special tools required.
My number one problem with the Remington is the ejector is/was staked in and it needs a fancy tool to put the other one in.
I have that tool paid for itself many times over and it wasn't cheap.

http://azshooterssupply.com/product....l+Latch+Staker

And this thing too.
http://azshooterssupply.com/product....+Forend+Wrench
Old April 11, 2018   #44
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Beretta makes some very nice guns.
Old April 12, 2018   #45
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
The drone in question is no more than 16" max across and they fly it pretty low. I've seen it no more than 8-12 feet above ground when it was chasing the horses.
I would consider capturing the low-flying drone and running horses on video as proof just in case the jacka$$ that's flying it decides to rile the waters when you take it down. My guess is it's somebody's kid and that the parents don't even know about it. But these days you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
Would you worry about buying a new Remington now since they just announced they're fining bankruptcy?
Not at all.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote