Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 14, 2018   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Something's digging up the place...

Something's digging lots of holes at night. The average hole is 6-8" deep, 4-5" wide at the top and cone shaped. I searched online last year when this was happening (it eventually stopped after a couple of months) and think it's probably either a skunk or armadillo. Haven't smelled any skunk around this year so maybe it's a 'dillo. Whatever it is, it's baaaaaack! Can anyone confirm this or provide another possibility?

Where these clusters of holes are, there are usually about for or five of these large ones and a lot of smaller 3-4" ones. Like maybe it started digging, thought better of it and moved. Yesterday I backfilled fifteen holes in a 20' diameter area with maybe 6 large ones and the rest small ones. I grab a hoe and use that to scrape dirt back into the holes.

Here's one of the larger holes, located at the corner of one of the garden beds. Fortunately they haven't gone into any of those beds. So far, whatever it is has avoided the game cam.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I've seen similar holes over here that were rats moving in, but yours may be slightly bigger. The good news is it isn't eating your garden. What else is in the area that's appealing to it? Bird feeder? It seems weird that a wild animal would want to have a hole in an open space.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #3
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

It doesn't matter what kind of critter it is. You need to discourage it now, before it gets comfortable, and moves into the garden. Once it digs up your plants, it will be too late.
You should consider stringing some electric fence wire around your garden beds. For a small area, you can use a solar powered charger with a few strands placed outside the perimeter of your beds, low to the ground. This will encourage the critter to move on to greener pastures, before your garden is ruined.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2018   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I'm real tempted to stay up all night and check the area every hour on the hour with either the .22 or 20 gauge.....
Old March 15, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Armadillo.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #6
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Armadillo.
Worth
Yep, I'd bet on it. I have one that makes a tour through my front yard every so often. Just haven't been able to catch him in the act. I recommend #3 buckshot in your 20 ga.
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have an armadillo waller in one spot of my yard they love the thing.
Worth
Old March 15, 2018   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the help! I haven't checked the game cam yet this morning. I sure hope it shows up and gives me a time frame for when it comes around.
Old March 15, 2018   #9
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

We don't have armadillos in PA but our skunks dig small round holes looking for grubs. Their holes are about the size of a quarter and maybe 3" deep. They are also attracted to any blood or bone meal fertilizer so I don't use that.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2018   #10
imp
Tomatovillian™

If it's an armadillo, you might have grubs. They are especially fond of grubs, which is good, but bad because they do tend to make holes like the one in the picture. They also like worms a lot, LOL.

If it's an armadillo, castor oil may make them leave.

http://www.havahart.com/how-to-get-r...adillos#choose

Last edited by imp; March 16, 2018 at 06:34 AM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #11
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

You could set up a trap for it. Get a live cage and place 2 long boards to make a funnel to the opening. Secure the boards with in ground stakes so they won't fall over. We've caught several that way. Firearms are faster but who wants to set up all night waiting for them to show up only to have it be too dark to shoot.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Another option if it is practical is to look for the hole they live in.
I used to hunt and eat the things until I found out they carried leprosy.
My best was three running armadillos three shots.
They were cooked on the BBQ and folks thought it was the best rabbit they had ever had.

Worth
Old March 17, 2018   #13
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
You could set up a trap for it. Get a live cage and place 2 long boards to make a funnel to the opening. Secure the boards with in ground stakes so they won't fall over. We've caught several that way. Firearms are faster but who wants to set up all night waiting for them to show up only to have it be too dark to shoot.
Thanks for that suggestion. I think I'd end up catching one of four very inquisitive cats.

I really wish I could get a game cam shot of one so I could narrow down the foraging time. But it's never too dark to shoot.
Old March 17, 2018   #14
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Thanks for that suggestion. I think I'd end up catching one of four very inquisitive cats.

I really wish I could get a game cam shot of one so I could narrow down the foraging time. But it's never too dark to shoot.
A gal after my own heart! You sure you're not from Bama?

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2018   #15
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Goodloe...ever seen Steel Magnolias? A southern woman(any woman if you push her far enough) is a force to be reckoned with!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote