Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 12, 2018   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

One part gravel, one part sand, one part Portland cement.

Work fast.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #32
garyjr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Compost in my containers seemed to keep the soil too wet but 1/3 composted mushroom manure or old horse manure are just right for mine, mixed with Pro-mix HP.
Same here. Personally 1/3 compost in a container mix max. Have had good luck with mushroom and/or worm castings. Next, about 1/3 vermiculite or perlite which in a container mix act the same and help keep the mix light and fluffy and allow for drainage. Sand can be used in place of vermiculite/perlite if you don't mind a heavier mix. This will save some money. Then 1/3 peat moss. Add to that a slow release fertilizer and drip system and you have happy plants.
Old March 12, 2018   #33
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
One part gravel, one part sand, one part Portland cement.

Work fast.

Worth
That's some mighty rich concrete.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #34
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I looked up HG 4-18-38. A 5 lb. bag is $25.95 + Shipping. A 25 lb. bag is $58.50 + Shipping. https://hydro-gardens.com/product/to...s-bag-4-18-38/

The search result below that one was for a different brand Masterblend Tomato Fertilizer 4-18-38 https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/pr...lizer-4-18-38/

I also found this site along the way http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37818

Robert, long story short. MasterBlend is worth the money considering how much it makes.
I've been using the MasterBlend mix since I started growing in dutch buckets 3 years ago and I'm still on the same bag with about 10 lbs left. I'm only growing 15 plants a year average not hundred's like Mark. I just wanted to let you know it lasts for a good while when mixed correctly. I buy the calcium nitrate at a local feed store in 1lb bags for $9 and I only use 1 per season on average.

I also use the mix on seedlings with no effects to the plants except they grow, even before they have true leaves. It's also like steroids on any container plants you water with it.
I'm growing cukes and peppers this year for the first time and the growth is amazing on both. I ate 2 cukes last light and the plants are loaded beyond belief. I have 2 3 gallon buckets with 3 plants in each bucket and see no effects from over crowding.

I followed directions from MHP Gardener and the results are excellent.
Old March 12, 2018   #35
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Just thinking out loud...

I would like to plant cherry tomato plants in 7 five gallon buckets that I have already purchased. They are new white food grade buckets sold at Walmart. I have $100 saved back, but would like to spend less than that on mix and then whatever fertilizer costs.

I have a half of a big bag of pro mix already, and I like the results of using pro mix for potting up. The thing I don't like about pro mix is the cost.

I also have a half of a bag of MG. If I go by the advice here about MG - I need to use it to fill pot holes
I would like to try using Sphagnum Peat Moss because I never have. I've always grown in sandy loam ground, so I didn't have a reason to buy any. I can say the same about vermiculite and/or perlite. I have read a lot of positive things here at Tomatoville about Black Kow cow manure. I have not used it before.

I've only tried growing in 3 containers once and it was a flop. I had no idea what I was doing - I didn't fertilize. I want this attempt to be fun and productive. As for fertilizer, what Mark has shared sounds logical to me. I'll use that method if I can afford it. Otherwise I may go with Tomato Tone. I already have Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1, but that's for greens - not tomatoes.

Rajun, I wrote the above before seeing your reply #34. As I wrote, I would like to use the HG or MasterBlend if I can afford it.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; March 12, 2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Added info
Old March 12, 2018   #36
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I use tomato tone and Neptune fish for the most part in ground.
I might try this for the containers. Free shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 1.19.06 PM.jpg (335.8 KB, 118 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #37
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I just want you to know that I had a very bad experience with Black Kow.
It wasnt composted enough and burned my plant. I had to dig it up, rinse the roots very well, then repot in nothing but Promix to save it, it took 3 weeks for a new sprout, and it was the only one I had of that variety. Luckily the new sprout took off. I will never use Black Kow again.
It even still smelled like cow poop.
Quote:

I would like to plant cherry tomato plants in 7 five gallon buckets that I have already purchased. They are new white food grade buckets sold at Walmart. I have $100 saved back, but would like to spend less than that on mix and then whatever fertilizer costs.

I have a half of a big bag of pro mix already, and I like the results of using pro mix for potting up. The thing I don't like about pro mix is the cost.

I also have a half of a bag of MG. If I go by the advice here about MG - I need to use it to fill pot holes
I would like to try using Sphagnum Peat Moss because I never have. I've always grown in sandy loam ground, so I didn't have a reason to buy any. I can say the same about vermiculite and/or perlite. I have read a lot of positive things here at Tomatoville about Black Kow cow manure. I have not used it before.

I've only tried growing in 3 containers once and it was a flop. I had no idea what I was doing - I didn't fertilize. I want this attempt to be fun and productive. As for fertilizer, what Mark has shared sounds logical to me. I'll use that method if I can afford it. Otherwise I may go with Tomato Tone. I already have Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1, but that's for greens - not tomatoes.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #38
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thanks Oakley. I just opened the site https://www.amazon.com/MASTERBLEND-4.../dp/B072F2BL9D

Marsha, when I looked at the Black Kow it did smell and my eyes and nose didn't like it. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Old March 12, 2018   #39
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

FYI!! That 2.5lb kit will make 37 5 gallon buckets of solution.
Old March 12, 2018   #40
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Wow, not bad....but for 5 more bucks the 5 gal kit will double that.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #41
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Wow, not bad....but for 5 more bucks the 5 gal kit will double that.
My thoughts too.

I read a lot of the reviews, and then I found several grams to teaspoon/tablespoon/etc. charts. https://www.google.com/search?ei=cr6....0.DOiBQPyX-cA

My wife keeps telling me to quit worrying about money. I married the right one
Old March 12, 2018   #42
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

This kit is a little better, it should make 186 5 gallon buckets

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTERBLEND...wAAOSwtGlZCPgb
Old March 12, 2018   #43
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Here's a cheap scale to weigh the ferts and the tomatoes!!!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O37TDO...656662431&th=1
Old March 12, 2018   #44
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

.... I have read a lot of positive things here at Tomatoville about Black Kow cow manure. I have not used it before.

Really? I bought it years ago to partially fill my raised beds. Upon opening, the media is really nice, dark, etc. However, I left some in my wheelbarrow and when it dried out, it was full of sand!!! I immediately lost interest and the bag stayed in an area not used for gardening. When I picked it up over a year later, the bag had deteriorated but the contents resembled sand used in concrete.

Also, for the cost of ProMix, it is expensive where I live $42 + 7% tax, but it comes out the same as really crappy stuff like Miracle Grow Potting mix. On the Florida thread there is a new member who used something else and it is full of fungus gnats. Marsha is helping him resolve his issues.

In the late fall, Walmart was having an online sale of Lucky Dog K-9 Kube. I bought 2 bales for free shipping. Stuff is really nice and light; almost too light - I add really wash out Coconut Coir to it. Maybe in the off season look for sales.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #45
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Rajun, I wrote the above before seeing your reply #34. As I wrote, I would like to use the HG or MasterBlend if I can afford it.
Sphagnum Peatmoss I am quite sure does not have any Mycorrhizae added to it. Read up why it beneficial for container growing.
You have a bit of info to decipher through I saw, but that's part of it.
Good luck
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote