Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 27, 2018   #1
ondika
Tomatovillian™

Default TYLCV-resistant tomato varieties

Here in central Florida, I have a problem with tomato yellow leaf curl virus and controlling whiteflies. Does anyone grow or know of good TYLCV resistant varieties available?
I have found only three so far:
Tribute
Charger
Skyway

Last edited by ondika; February 27, 2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: To clarify
ondika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #2
creeker
Tomatovillian™

I grew Tribute and Charger last year. They really put on a lot of good looking tomatoes--at first. But they were slow to ripen,even in our high heat, and when the did , tasted like the worst supermarket tomatoes. Nuff said.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #3
creeker
Tomatovillian™

For me,potato leafed Brandywine and Brandywine crosses seem to have the best chance against TYLCV,as as their thicker leaves seem to be more impervious to insects. That's not to say thats the whole answer, but it seems to help.
Old February 27, 2018   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I also live in Central Florida.

I grew Skyway 687 fall '16-spring 17; huge producer but never ate one - gave them all away. Round and Red.

Same year also grew Champion 2 which I at least tasted; similar to Big Beef. Plant must have produced over 300 tomatoes. I grew it b/c of TYLCV but didn't see it listed.

Since I've been using these (Marsha recommended), white fly issues are a thing of the past. That brand is the ONLY one to get; the others are death traps to good things like lizards.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

I use 1 per plant or 1 per Earthbox. Marsha can go every 5 ft; but I think it must be buggier here.

Last edited by Barb_FL; February 27, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #5
ondika
Tomatovillian™

Thankyou for that. Do not want bad tasting tomatoes, I would rather try varieties that are delicious that survived the whiteflies
Old February 27, 2018   #6
ondika
Tomatovillian™

I will put Champion 2 on my fall list. Thanks for the sticky strip link, I didn't realize some are dangerous to good critters
Old February 27, 2018   #7
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

3 years ago we grew all of our breeding lines in Southern Baja for the first time, in the open field. It happened to be a year when hordes of white flies descended onto all tomatoes and peppers in the region, inoculating each and every plant hundreds, if not thousands, of times with TYLCV.

70% of our plants were severely stunted. 20% were markedly stunted and 10% showed little or no stunting (even though yellow spots on the leaves indicated sites of inoculation on every plant). In some ways, it was a great season, even though we lost most of our plants. We had a very hard selection for TYLCV resistance that has translated to TMV and Tomato Spotted Wilt resistance as well.

Honestly, we feel fortunate that we had a nice number of lines that showed resistance (10% is arguably alot, could have been worse).

Most of the new hybrid lines we are developing should show virus resistance, but we still need to really challenge them one more time during a high white fly year to see which lines retain significant resistance.

So, you may want to keep an eye out for our new varieties (Artisan Seeds) in the future.

In a side note, Orange Jazz, Jazz, and most of our released lines were completely hammered by virus that year. Some seem to be even extra susceptible. Purple Bumblebee seemed to be very virus resistant, and our other Bumblebee varieties showed pretty good resistance that year. The "tigers" including Blush, were susceptible.

One last thing, since we are using strong field selections to determine resistance (in the absence of the analysis of molecular markers) we will never be able to "claim" resistance. But, we think field selection is more valuable, as finding the gene-for-gene resistances that make for simple academic (and publishable) stories may not be as important as the potentially genetically messy (but effective) resistance that we select for in the field -- including resistance that is not pathogen specific. In the end, we think that people will learn about our resistance lines, even if the resistance of the line is not denoted with a letter in a catalog.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; February 27, 2018 at 10:26 PM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #8
ondika
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it's very valuable work you're doing. I had two bumble bee plants in the midst of the TYLCV stricken ones as well. They did well and produced well. One was affected but still produced ok, the other wasn't touched and was one of my best. I'm glad you mentioned those. I have a few BB ready to plant out this week. It'll be interesting to see if they repeat that performance. I will definitely be watching your work. Thank you.
Old February 28, 2018   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Check for Tycoon. It is a tad better tomato than some of the others suggested so far.

https://today.agrilife.org/2014/03/1...xas-superstar/
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Where can I acquire some Tycoon seeds FP?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #11
imclumbi
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the great tip on controlling white fly
imclumbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #12
creeker
Tomatovillian™

I'll be happy to send you some Tycoon seeds BVV as I bought a bunch of them last year. I have your address if its same as last year? Ron
Old February 28, 2018   #13
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeker View Post
I'll be happy to send you some Tycoon seeds BVV as I bought a bunch of them last year. I have your address if its same as last year? Ron
It is and thanks so much! My sister loves Celebrity, but struggles growing it in recent years. Did you grow it yet? Love to hear your review of it.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

None of the 60 plus tomatoes I had set out in mid summer were productive after getting tylcv from the whitefly invasion of last summer. I had around 40 different varieties and not a single one produced any decent fruits once the disease became apparent. Last year was the first time I experienced this plague. I’m hoping that the winter cold was enough to get rid of the whiteflies that carry it.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #15
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Did the Tycoon "leave the building?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Check for Tycoon. It is a tad better tomato than some of the others suggested so far.

https://today.agrilife.org/2014/03/1...xas-superstar/
There seem to be a lot of links to that article, but no seeds from any of the major sellers. Introduced in 2011, seems like it should be available for sale? Advertised on Ali Express, but marked "no longer available."

Is it O.P.? Curious -- has it "come and gone?"

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; March 1, 2018 at 03:25 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote