Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 19, 2018   #1
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Default Trouble in the Greenhouse already..

Ok my fellow compatriots. This morning I went into the seedling house, pulled off the frost covers, and discovered this...

Any ideas? Being this early, and rather chilly weather, I dont have any ideas. Maybe slugs?? About 4-5 trays have a few seedlings chewed on. A few trays have seedlings that were snapped off. The ones snapped off im willing to assume is maybe due to the weight of the row cover. But the others are clearly chewed on.

I spent a good portion of the afternoon out there, never saw any critters, other then 2 flys buzzing about.

Thoughts?
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I was going to ask how you were supporting your cover. I use cheap, flimsy pvc hoops. Since it's inside, it doesn't have to hold against wind, so I can get away with flimsy.

Are the edges chomped on? It's hard to see. It could be come kind of worm/larvae. Worms and grasshoppers eat the fastest, I think.

Sometimes my tomato leaves will rot overnight when they touch the plastic. You should see a little bit of rotten leaf goo if that is happening.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #3
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

No, no support. I just lay the cloth directly over top. Which, I do realize is probably not the best option. Thankfully I shouldnt be needing to use the cover again for a while. Right now its used mostly when the temp is going to be in the low 40's and a clear sky. For the reasons outlined in your thread about the temp being colder then the outside air.

I can try to get better pics. But the edges do appear to have a "serrated edge".
Old February 19, 2018   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Does that seedling in the middle have a piece of leaf lying on the ground?

If so, I would suspect a mouse more than a caterpillar. Just because of my experience with rabbits, they cut more than they eat a lot of times. Whereas with a caterpillar or slug you'll see holes and edges chewed off but not usually pieces of leaf on the ground.

Slugs, you can tell because they leave a slime trail as well.
Caterpillars, some brown or green poop on the leaf.

Also seems unusual to me that a caterpillar would go marauding from one seedling to another without finishing them off first. It seems more like an animal to me, but I could be wrong - I'm sure you folks have types of caterpillar that I've never seen so maybe they behave different.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #5
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Bower...

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "Mouse". Cause Lord knows, living out in the country, we have Mice. Earlier this year when I was cleaning out this particular structure, I spotted 2 of the little buggers.

Time to set some traps.

To answer your question. There was some leaves left behind. And, I forgot to mention, a couple of the seedlings appeared to have been pulled up. I was honestly thinking a bird. But a mouse is a better bet.
Old February 19, 2018   #6
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Old February 19, 2018   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

set a few mousetraps with peanut butter or even better... snickers bar smashed onto the tongue of the trip. then sprinkle sevin or some such if you aren't organic around the flats. I would lean towards a mouse though.

Last edited by clkeiper; February 20, 2018 at 07:55 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #8
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
set a few mousetraps with peanut butter or even better... snickers bar smashed onto the tongue of the trip. then sprinkle sevin or some such if you aren't organic around the flats. I qould lean towards a mouse though.
Oh yes. Traps will be set.

So they dont like Sevin? Didnt know that.
Old February 19, 2018   #9
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

The traps have been deployed, loaded with the promise of sweet peanut butter as a "treasure" for the brave Mouse.

Come here mousy mousy mousy...

My wife suggested we just put the Cat in there. Theres always that option.
Old February 19, 2018   #10
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
set a few mousetraps with peanut butter or even better... snickers bar smashed onto the tongue of the trip. then sprinkle sevin or some such if you aren't organic around the flats. I qould lean towards a mouse though.

Don't put snickers bars on the traps!!! You would surely hear yelling/cursing and screaming only to find me with a very swollen tongue in your greenhouse!
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2018   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I agree with mice. Don't use peanut butter - they lick it off without triggering. Glue a nugget of dog food to the trigger. 90% more effective.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #12
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Success!

Set 3 traps last night. Just checked and found 2 little victims. Traps were reset and put back...

Mental note... dont walk around barefooted in the Greenhouse.
Old February 20, 2018   #13
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
The traps have been deployed, loaded with the promise of sweet peanut butter as a "treasure" for the brave Mouse.

Come here mousy mousy mousy...

My wife suggested we just put the Cat in there. Theres always that option.
Only if you don't care that they use your flats as litter boxes... trust me... experiences cat owner here.

and as for the sevin... I was thinking more along the lines incase there were any pill bugs or other herbivore-y creatures get them too.

SCORE! excellent. nothing better than a dead mouse unless it is a dead skunk or raccoon.... nothing better.
Old February 20, 2018   #14
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post

Don't put snickers bars on the traps!!! You would surely hear yelling/cursing and screaming only to find me with a very swollen tongue in your greenhouse!
Sorry Rhines... surely you could just have one out of the bag instead... I buy snack or bite sized ones just for the traps but they don't all get used on the traps.
rolos, caramels, etc... anything sweet and sticky. humidity is terrible though if you have them set and no mice or rodents. ants will clean off the peanutbutter and the candy bar. just keep an eye on the traps.

Last edited by clkeiper; February 20, 2018 at 08:50 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2018   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

12 guage shotgun like on Ratatouille the movie.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote