Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 8, 2018   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Leaf Curl or Leaf Roll

Hi...I would be grateful if an expert in leaf curl/roll would look at my photos and give me an opinion on whether they believe that is what is wrong with my plant and if so what do I do to correct it.....Thankyou Ron NZ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leaf Curl A_2018-01-08_192115.jpg (115.9 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Leaf Curl B_2018-01-08_192244.jpg (143.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Leaf Curl C_2018-01-08_192421.jpg (144.3 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg Leaf Curl D_2018-01-08_192603.jpg (154.5 KB, 146 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Probably weather or water stress (too much water). Too much heat can cause it. My leaves curled a bit after the rainy cold too.

Over fertilization, especially nitrogen, is another possibility.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #3
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...So its not a virus...?? we have had really good weather creating 22 to 32 degrees in the Glasshouse but I have 5 fans blowing air 24/7 inside.....Over fertilization can be ruled out with only Miracle Gro used and definately not over watered ....A fan is close to this particular plant...

Very strange....At the start of the season I bought two Tasty Tom plants from a garden centre and one had leaf curl and it still does not look right months on.....But This plant is at the other end of the greenhouse ...its a Mississippi Love Apple raised by myself from seed and its not the only one with Leaf curl ....I am really struggling for an answer...I will give it a good drench with an epsom Salts mix...and see what happpens..
..I have to cease relying on Garden Centres cause thats two years in a row I think i have been done by disease coming in from the same Garden Centre...unless it is the Sphagnum Moss I used early on as a seed raiser being infected with something....I ceased using it and my late seedlings look really good...So its not the Perlite...and thats the finish of Sphagnum moss...

I am hoping next season i will have all the answers...Regards Ron
Old January 8, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Hi...So its not a virus...?? we have had really good weather creating 22 to 32 degrees in the Glasshouse but I have 5 fans blowing air 24/7 inside.....Over fertilization can be ruled out with only Miracle Gro used and definately not over watered ....A fan is close to this particular plant...

Very strange....At the start of the season I bought two Tasty Tom plants from a garden centre and one had leaf curl and it still does not look right months on.....But This plant is at the other end of the greenhouse ...its a Mississippi Love Apple raised by myself from seed and its not the only one with Leaf curl ....I am really struggling for an answer...I will give it a good drench with an epsom Salts mix...and see what happpens..
..I have to cease relying on Garden Centres cause thats two years in a row I think i have been done by disease coming in from the same Garden Centre...unless it is the Sphagnum Moss I used early on as a seed raiser being infected with something....I ceased using it and my late seedlings look really good...So its not the Perlite...and thats the finish of Sphagnum moss...

I am hoping next season i will have all the answers...Regards Ron
I looked at your pictures several times and was looking for what one can see early in the season which is unbalanced growth that can lead to cupped leaves,upside down leaves,leaves that are in a tight roll, which spells aphids,but I didn't see any of that.

In the top left picture I did see evidence of what might be viral,with that one sstem hanging down.

And it's also known very well that leaves can exhibit all I've mentioned when it's too hot,too cold,and hybrid varieties also are prone to those same symptoms.

Carolyn
Old January 8, 2018   #5
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

The stunted leaves look like either herbicide damage (perhaps an overspray from nearby), spider mites, or even tomato mosaic virus. I lost three plants last spring and they looked identical to yours. I hope yours recover, mine never did. Best of luck!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
The stunted leaves look like either herbicide damage (perhaps an overspray from nearby), spider mites, or even tomato mosaic virus. I lost three plants last spring and they looked identical to yours. I hope yours recover, mine never did. Best of luck!!
Darin, I saw no evidence of any herbicide damage and there are different symptoms for different herbicides.

TMV is often confused, and rightly so,with Cucumber Mosaic Virus the symptoms are different.

If it was herbicide spray damage from nearby why did you lose only 3 plants. I've seen your pictures of how you grow your plants and their distances apart and that just doesn't resonate with me .

Carolyn, obviously her opinion only, but has seen damage from herbicides, CMV and TMV in the various geographic locations where she has grown tomatoes and not just in NYS either.
Old January 9, 2018   #7
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn- the only plants I lost were three in pots, sitting in my driveway very close to where I prepare Round-Up solutions in my tank sprayer. All of my other plants are in the ground and some distance away. I still don't think it was herbicide drift that got my plants, but more consistent with a viral condition. I was only listing potential causes for stilted leaves as shown.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #8
dan1res
Tomatovillian™

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...st-or-Curl.pdf
dan1res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018   #9
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

And then there's this chart (posted in another thread by Bower) that explains how leaves can curl for another reason, as mentioned by Dr Carolyn, above. This looks more like M's plants than the extreme examples of curl from herbicide drift.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/lms/eb107/entry_6973/
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #10
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...Everytime I open my greenhouse's sliding door I am confronted with curly leaf although I have got a pretty good crop this season no doubt due to amazing weather we are having...

Anyway its been on my mind for some time now and I have been trying to think what I have done right from my first plant put in the greenhouse.....and it must be something I have done..
With the best of intentions at the start of the season I decided to water my plants with rain water so I purchased some 200 gallon Blue Plastic Drums.....Cut off the tops and thoroughly washed them with dish washer and then a detergent.....tipping them over between and then filling them with tap water for a final rinse....and letting them dry..... I then put 3 of these drums under the runoff pipes for my house roof and 1 under the runoff for my greenhouse roof....
Thats where all my rain water came from....??

You have probably guessed where I am going to here....I am no chemist or expert on chemicals etc but I now understand that the "unknown" chemicals that were originally in the drums may have left a residue in the plastic and even with my washing with dishwasher etc rain water collected may have got contaminated and of course it was put on the soil of my plants.....Sadly I will never know if my theory is right.......
Regards Ron