Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 14, 2017   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBert View Post
So should I just pull the plants? Or just let nature take its course, and whatever pops up, pops up

PS Wasn't there some question on germination in that batch of seeds Marsha?
There was a question on germination, but it was other people, 2 in fact, one of them being Russ, that had the problem. People who got seeds from me and my own saved and started seeds, had no germination issues.
I wonder if it doesn't lkke your master blend Epsom salt mix. The color is excellent on your plants. Also your mix looks a bit perlite heavy, promix HP is already high perlite( hence HP), I wonder if the roots are too aerated and not enough nutrients can be absorbed. I use Promix BX, and dont add any extra pinebark(acidic)because peat is already too acidic. And I don't add extra perlite.

OK, I think I know the problem! Get a pH meter and test the acidity. Good is 6.5 to 6.8( very very slightly acidic), bad is lower than 6, it won't absorb the nutrients well in an acid environment. I think this is much more of an issue than too much perlite. And no stray seeds came from me, I do all my seed collection one at a time, separated.

Bert,did you get my pm with my seed starting, seedling growing step by step instructions? I never heard back from you, so not sure you got them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #17
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
There was a question on germination, but it was other people, 2 in fact, one of them being Russ, that had the problem. People who got seeds from me and my own saved and started seeds, had no germination issues.
I wonder if it doesn't lkke your master blend Epsom salt mix. The color is excellent on your plants. Also your mix looks a bit perlite heavy, promix HP is already high perlite( hence HP), I wonder if the roots are too aerated and not enough nutrients can be absorbed. I use Promix BX, and dont add sny extra pinebark(acidic)because peat is already too acidic. And I don't add extra perlite.

OK, I think I know the problem! Get a pH meter and test the acidity. Good is 6.5 to 6.8( very very slightly acidic), bad is lower than 6, it won't absorb the nutrients well in an acid environment. I think this us much more of an issue than too much perlite. And no stray seeds came from me, I do all my seed collection one at a time, separated.

Bert,did you get my pm with my seed starting, seedling growing step by step instructions? I never heard back from you, so not sure you got them.
I doubt it was the seeds too. I use the pine bark so the containers don't develop a problem with a perched water table drowning the roots. You are probably on to something with the pH. Only thing, all my other plants are doing wonderful. Same space, same soil mix, same feeding.

I'll check back when I have a pH reading
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #18
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Yes I did. Didn't you geret my response? PM'd you the next day. Internet must have easten my homework! It was very enlightening and I have it saved! I'll get back to you with a question or two. It was very appreciated, I feel bad you never got my response
Old November 14, 2017   #19
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I doubt it was the seeds too. I use the pine bark so the containers don't develop a problem with a perched water table drowning the roots. You are probably on to something with the pH. Only thing, all my other plants are doing wonderful. Same space, same soil mix, same feeding.

I'll check back when I have a pH reading
pH- some are more susceptible than others. For now, I suggest taking the plant out of that media, rinse the roots thoroughly, take same amount of promix, add 2 cups Vegetable or Garden Tone,( get it at Home Depot, by Espoma), and 1/2 cup dolomite lime, mix thoroughly, then repot using that, no extra perlite or bark fines. I bet it will recover. That is basically what I do with my non Earthbox pots.
Old November 14, 2017   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes I did. Didn't you geret my response? PM'd you the next day. Internet must have easten my homework! It was very enlightening and I have it saved! I'll get back to you with a question or two. It was very appreciated, I feel bad you never got my response
Maybe you can find it in your sent mail and resend.
Old November 14, 2017   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(There was a question on germination, but it was other people, 2 in fact, one of them being Russ, that had the problem. People who got seeds from me and my own saved and started seeds, had no germination issues.)

I know you got your seeds from Russ and I was told it was stable by Russ, and what I got was what it was supposed to be according to pictures posted and descriptions given.

When saving seeds,just speaking for myself now, I always leave room for possible errors, and well I remember the seeds of I think it was possibly Medovaya Kaplya, I'd saved about 2000 seeds and it was only after offering it in seed offers and also listing for quite a few years in the SSE Annual that two folks posted pictures in the Fall feedback thread here at Tville and it sure wasn't the MV that I ever knew.

I've said many times here at Tville in many threads for many years that when I'm perfect in all that I do I won't be on earth anymore,I'll be under it.

Carolyn
Old November 14, 2017   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My seeds never came from Russ. They were in the grand trade at Docs, not Russ's contribution. His were earlier generations.
These seeds were not mixed up by me, all 17 that I started and grew, all grew true. All the seeds I have out in my offer were from the same batch. Bert has something else happening.
Old November 14, 2017   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My seeds never came from Russ. They were in the grand trade at Docs, not Russ's contribution. His were earlier generations.
These seeds were not mixed up by me, all 17 that I started and grew, all grew true. All the seeds I have out in my offer were from the same batch. Bert has something else happening.
OK Marsha.

Carolyn
Old November 15, 2017   #24
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

OK so I think I have some anaswers. Marsha was right on the money about the pH. Got an el cheapo pH meter and it indicates a pH of 6 or lower. Definitly too acidic.

Now here is the insight. A couple of months ago I wrote about finding a new potting mix from Bonnie's at a real good price. It felt and smelt alot like ProMix at $12/3.8 cuft. IT HAD LIME ALREADY ADDED! With pine bark fines and MORE dolomite added, no wonder it's too acidic.

Is there a way to correct this without re-potting all the plants? The Rebel Alliance is no problem but other plants may not be quite so acidic, they are still out of optimum range. What can I do to bring it up to 6.8 +/-?
Old November 15, 2017   #25
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Lime will neutralize the acidity. To raise your PH from 6 to 6.8 you need to add more dolomite lime or hardwood ash. This will neutralize the acid in your soil. Ash will act rather quickly if you can find it.
Old November 15, 2017   #26
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
OK so I think I have some anaswers. Marsha was right on the money about the pH. Got an el cheapo pH meter and it indicates a pH of 6 or lower. Definitly too acidic.

Now here is the insight. A couple of months ago I wrote about finding a new potting mix from Bonnie's at a real good price. It felt and smelt alot like ProMix at $12/3.8 cuft. IT HAD LIME ALREADY ADDED! With pine bark fines and MORE dolomite added, no wonder it's too acidic.

Is there a way to correct this without re-potting all the plants? The Rebel Alliance is no problem but other plants may not be quite so acidic, they are still out of optimum range. What can I do to bring it up to 6.8 +/-?
Increasing the lime, which is basic, will help neutralize the acidity. I use about 1 cup of dolomite/lime for a 5 to 7 gallon pot. It takes a few months to dissolve.
Old November 15, 2017   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Lime will neutralize the acidity. To raise your PH from 6 to 6.8 you need to add more dolomite lime or hardwood ash. This will neutralize the acid in your soil. Ash will act rather quickly if you can find it.
I just saw this, great response.
Old November 16, 2017   #28
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

So what is making my mix so acidic? Simply the pine bark fines?? Then why do so many people use pine bark fines in their mix recipe's?

Is hardwood ash the same thing as muriate of pot ash? Just work it into the top portion of soil and water it in?
Old November 16, 2017   #29
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So what is making my mix so acidic? Simply the pine bark fines?? Then why do so many people use pine bark fines in their mix recipe's?

Is hardwood ash the same thing as muriate of pot ash? Just work it into the top portion of soil and water it in?
Most people use the pine, but may not realize the acidity. Maybe they put in enough dolomite to balance it. It's really unusual, because most of the country has acidic soil to begin with. And of course most of the country gardens in the soil. Unlike Florida, which has alkaline soil due to our state being mostly made up of a limestone foundation. But we garden in pots here, so it's sort of like we aren't even gardening in Florida, lol.
That is digressing, the reason that you are so acidic is not only because of the pine bark, it's also because peat itself is very acidic. Without the dolomite lime, the peat can get a pH as low as 3.

I don't know anything about hardwood ash, very sorry.
Old November 16, 2017   #30
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Most people use the pine, but may not realize the acidity. Maybe they put in enough dolomite to balance it. It's really unusual, because most of the country has acidic soil to begin with. And of course most of the country gardens in the soil. Unlike Florida, which has alkaline soil due to our state being mostly made up of a limestone foundation. But we garden in pots here, so it's sort of like we aren't even gardening in Florida, lol.
That is digressing, the reason that you are so acidic is not only because of the pine bark, it's also because peat itself is very acidic. Without the dolomite lime, the peat can get a pH as low as 3.

I don't know anything about hardwood ash, very sorry.
In that case I will use more lime in the future