Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 13, 2017   #1
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Default Rebel Alliance won't grow

I have two Rebel Alliance plants that don't seem to grow. All my other plants are are nice and strong, putting out lots of flowers and plenty of fruits forming. but these guys just are not doing their job. Any ideas? Its the little guy on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RebelAlliance.jpg (184.1 KB, 133 views)
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Half size pot = half size plant?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017   #3
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Its a 5 gal pot and and I have other plants that are in 5 gal containers that are going like gangbusters. They are all being fed MasterBlend twice a week
Old November 13, 2017   #4
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

My Rebel Alliance was not a very tall plant, maybe 4 1/2 - 5 ft by the end of the season. It seemed to concentrate on putting it's energy into those multiflora branches, instead of putting on the long vine growth like a lot of cherry tomatoes. So you may be ok on the shorter size. No flowers on it yet?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017   #5
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I know that it doesn't grow very tall, but why no flowers? Everything else is doing great.
Old November 13, 2017   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

If you're using the same soil mix as your other larger plants, I can't tell you why it appears to be much smaller. Mine were no fussier as to conditions, but were grown in ground. I remember that a plant that I gave to someone took a longer time to set fruit than mine did. The stem that has to support the multi fruit production ultimately ends up looking more like a thick branch than a normal sized cluster stem. I think the plant may have slowed down other upward growth as it prepared to send out the massive blossom branch, so maybe that is what is happening with yours.
As long as your plant looks healthy otherwise, I would just be patient and give it more time.

Maybe Marsha knows more, since she has grown it longer than the rest of us and also grows in the south like you.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #7
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I'd cut the fertilizer to once a week at most!
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #8
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
I'd cut the fertilizer to once a week at most!

I still don’t know how much to feed at one time .... a quart a gal two gal?
Old November 14, 2017   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Bert, Did you get them at the swap? I have one growing from the same seeds and plants started at the same time,it's doing great so far. Tell us about what it's potted in and what you mixed into the potting mix, what fertilizer you are using, what you put down the hole before planting or if it was just mixed throughout. Let us help you problem solve.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Here's my RA as of 5 minutes ago ( its 7:45 am). There are 2 plants in the Earthbox, it's the left one. The other is Rebel Yell. The cage around the Earthbox is about 48 inches tall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171114_074107-800x600.jpg (243.1 KB, 111 views)
Old November 14, 2017   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
My Rebel Alliance was not a very tall plant, maybe 4 1/2 - 5 ft by the end of the season. It seemed to concentrate on putting it's energy into those multiflora branches, instead of putting on the long vine growth like a lot of cherry tomatoes. So you may be ok on the shorter size. No flowers on it yet?

I still love these photos. You do a great job, Dee.
Old November 14, 2017   #12
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Here's my RA as of 5 minutes ago ( its 7:45 am). There are 2 plants in the Earthbox, it's the left one. The other is Rebel Yell. The cage around the Earthbox is about 48 inches tall.
Marsha, your plants are gorgeous! No, these are seeds I got from you during your trade.

I have 3 parts ProMix HP, 2 parts pine bark fines, 1 part perlite, some added lime and epsom salts. I added in Osmocote and I put in the hole a few pinches of mycorrhizal.

I started out feeding with TTF but switched to MasterBlend. I was feeding every 5 to 7 days. All my plants are getting treated the same. My Lithium Sunset and GGWT are killing it!

This is the sister plant. It doesn't look right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RebelAlliance2.jpg (148.0 KB, 99 views)
Old November 14, 2017   #13
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

Are there any Empire tomatoes nearby? The Rebel Alliance always struggles when in the presence of large amounts of Empire...

Last edited by Lasairfion; November 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM.
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2017   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like maybe there was a stray seed or an unintended cross in the seeds that Bert got from Marsha as shown in that last picture.It happens, and has happened for me in the past as well.

My experience with Rebel Alliance here in Easter NYS,roughly zone 5 was as follows.I grew it not this past summer ,which was a wipe out,but the summer before.

My seeds were from Russ directly,who asked that I not share any seeds or plants with anyone else, and of course I agreed with that.

It was grown outside in a 10 gal pot that had a mixture of Promix and composted sterile cow manure,and was fertilized according to the way I always did so.

In that pot was one of those 3 tiered supports as well.

A very vigorous plant that cascaded over the top of the support and lots of fruits but I was surprised that they were brown,kind of like oblate mini beefsteaks. But they tasted great IMO.

Russ wanted to breed another multiflora and he told me what kind,and I was about to send him some seeds when it became apparent that my then current to do list was focused almost exclusively on getting the seeds out to the folks who do seed production for my seed offers.

So sometime soon I have to get back to him about his other idea for a multiflora and send him some seeds.

Carolyn, who loves multifloras and would like to see someone breed a GWRipe cherry one, not a dwarf.
Old November 14, 2017   #15
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

So should I just pull the plants? Or just let nature take its course, and whatever pops up, pops up

PS Wasn't there some question on germination in that batch of seeds Marsha?