Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 12, 2017   #1
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

Default hydrogen peroxide

Hello! My name is Nicolas and I write from Spain, Mr. Baikal left me a few days to enter with his nickname because I can not register with my name. I wanted to know if someone has used Hello! My name is Nicolas and I write from Spain, Mr. Baikal left me a few days to enter with his nickname because I can not register with my name. I wanted to know if someone has used hydrogen peroxide for tomato plants. Against root rot, to accelerate the germinative process, against molds and fungi, as fertilizer and as a pesticide. I would like to use hydrogen peroxide this next season in my tomato plants because I have read a lot about it and it seems very interesting. It's a pity that there is not much information on the web, especially about the amounts to use peroxide, I would love to know if someone uses it and in what quantities. Without more and thanking your heart for your kindness A very big greeting from Nicolas from Spain. for tomato plants. Against root rot, to accelerate the germinative process, against molds and fungi, as fertilizer and as a pesticide. I would like to use hydrogen peroxide this next season in my tomato plants because I have read a lot about it and it seems very interesting. It's a pity that there is not much information on the web, especially about the amounts to use peroxide, I would love to know if someone uses it and in what quantities. Without more and thanking your heart for your kindness A very big greeting from Nicolas from Spain.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hello Nicholas,

I gave a few outdoor potted pepper plants a hydrogen peroxide bath when I brought them indoors to save before the first freeze. My intention was to kill any bugs that might have been in the soil before I brought them indoors. I used less that a ten percent solution. Haven't noticed anything good or bad about their health as a result.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I use it as well for plants coming indoors for the Winter. 10%
And for any problems due to humidity/moisture, first signs of a
possible bug/gnat issue. Along with a neem/soap spray at the
ready.

Most important is to keep your growing starts dry and humidity
low between waterings. HP will not aid in growing or fertilizing as
much as keeping the root zone free of harms way...infestation by
fungus gnats that feed on young roots, excess molds, root rot,
and a good ol' oxygen boost can't hurt.

Are you sure you googled the correct term?...try 'peroxide for plants'.
lots of hits/links.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #4
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I've used H2O2 to excess in order to explore how it might be detrimental to plants. Short answer? It won't hurt them, and can help.

The only way I was able to hurt plants was to try to start seeds in undiluted 5% solution. Some actually sprouted but didn't live long. Chemically H2O2 is like a very mild bleach. Over two weeks the seeds were bleached white.

Now I use it in a starter soak, in the germinating bag, and injected into the soil of the starter cells. I haven't had a single case of damping off since I started using it. I believe it breaks down in the environment, losing the extra O to become water. So you can't over-apply.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #5
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

I am Nicolas, thank you very much for your response, and I read mostly in forums in Spain and comment that the solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water would be ten parts water and one part peroxide, I would like to know if someone
Old November 12, 2017   #6
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

sorry, if someone used it to prevent tomatoes from viruses and other diseases, such as fungicide or pesticide or something similar. I find the subject very interesting. thank you very much
Old November 12, 2017   #7
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Hi friend of Baikal.

I have used hydrogen peroxide for powdery mildew on the recommendation of a friend. It has to be applied frequently to work well.
Here is a link to a chart with dilution rates.
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.c...-peroxide.html

And here is a thread on this topic I found by searching this forum when I had problems.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33102
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2017   #8
Baikal
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much for your answer. very good the two links that mandas.estoy decided to test the peroxide of hydrogen to combat mildew and several viruses. I think it's a very interesting product. economic simple and clean. thanks.Nicolas of Spain
Old November 12, 2017   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Bleach can be used for the same purposes as peroxide. There is a long thread on here about spraying a diluted bleach mixture as a fungicide. If you have more than a few plants, spraying peroxide can get expensive.

The best results I have gotten from peroxide came from using it on the black sooty mold that grows when I have a lot of aphids or whiteflies. It kills the mold immediately, without harming the plant.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote