Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 7, 2017   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can envision big population controle glue traps set out on the sidewalks with people stuck on them.
They randomly appear and catch people looking at their phones.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #17
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Only once had a mouse in the house and I used a have a heart trap, released it back outside. The cat brought in against its will, very gently put it down in the kitchen. So it really wasn't the mouses fault, and it wasn't eating my tomatoes. I would probably still use have a heart traps and just let them go in the woods some distance away from the house. I actually think they are kind of cute, as long as they don't try to live with me.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:L...es_a_mouse.jpg
Old September 9, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just saw a red tailed hawk perch on a post then dive down snatch up a mouse and fly off.
Old September 9, 2017   #20
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Snaptraps outside will take awhile. A rat colony can have up to 60 individuals. I don't know about mice. You have to kill and kill and kill. After 20 dead rats, I finally began harvesting sweet peppers.

Also, for snap traps. a good tip is to use some hot glue or bondit and glue dog food to the trigger. Otherwise, they will steal without tripping the trap. My catch rate went up 500% when I started the glueing.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Snaptraps outside will take awhile. A rat colony can have up to 60 individuals. I don't know about mice. You have to kill and kill and kill. After 20 dead rats, I finally began harvesting sweet peppers.

Also, for snap traps. a good tip is to use some hot glue or bondit and glue dog food to the trigger. Otherwise, they will steal without tripping the trap. My catch rate went up 500% when I started the glueing.
maybe, but they are cheap and humane in all reality. displacing wildlife is not so humane. they die of fighting for a new territory, starvation and perhaps dehydration. they spread diseases and just become a nuisance for someone else if they survive or they....go right back 'home". My neighbor told me her husband had to take a week off work and fix the wiring in their attic from squirrels chewing it up... they were doing the trap and release (at a park), too. she said they caught 30 squirrels in the attic.. I am guessing maybe one or two... they were repeat captures. probably back to the house within hours or a day.
Old September 10, 2017   #22
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I also prefer snap traps. Didn't mean to argue against them. Although I have killed two birds - a brown thrasher and a cardinal - in rat snap traps, which saddened me.
Old September 10, 2017   #23
MissS
Tomatovillian™

If you put a upside down box over the trap that has a hole cut into the side to act as a door, you will not catch birds, cats or other critters that you don't want to harm.
Old September 10, 2017   #24
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I use an old milk crate to cover over my rat trap. Glue will help prevent them climbing the side and reaching down to snatch the bait. Good tip.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #25
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
If you put a upside down box over the trap that has a hole cut into the side to act as a door, you will not catch birds, cats or other critters that you don't want to harm.
Perhaps. We seem to have ingenious birds here. They hop into squirrel traps as well, steal the bait, and then hop right out.
Old September 10, 2017   #26
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I get too much unwanted kill with snap traps no matter what I place over them.

Now I use the Atomic Barbie rat trap I got from Amazon. It is similar to Havahart but works better. In addition to mice it catches rats and squirrels. I even caught a gopher in it. The reason it works so well is the extreme sensitivity of the tripping mechanism.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #27
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I also prefer snap traps. Didn't mean to argue against them. Although I have killed two birds - a brown thrasher and a cardinal - in rat snap traps, which saddened me.
That is sad. I have never used snap traps outside but if I did I would cover them with something with a hole in it. Rodents will run into a hole but birds usually will not.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If I kill the outside mice the owls will go without food and Smokey will go without play toys.
Old September 10, 2017   #29
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I've had problems with Mojave ground squirrels the past two years. They figured out that they can squeeze through the chicken wire (they are smaller than a chipmunk) and wow! tomatoes! So this winter I will be building a squirrel proof (?) shade house and also growing toms in pots ( to benefit my back). Traps did no good whatsoever. The cats would catch them and come in and turn them loose in the house. I had one in my house for two months I swear and I could not catch that critter and it and the cats just played peekaboo. Finally caught it and put it out two days ago.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2017   #30
bower
Tomatovillian™

Saw a big raptor - hawk of some kind - flying low over the garden a couple of days ago. Thought at the time, that's big enough to take a rat.
I haven't seen any sign of rat around my compost since we whippersnipped the place. I stopped putting eggshells in the compost, and few or no tomatoes in the kitchen scraps. Keeping it lean. And no pickles!! Definitely, no pickle ends going in the pile!
Little rodents are cute, no doubt.
Big ones are downright scary.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote