Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 28, 2017   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Disease on Pepper

This is the Chef Jeff's Caribbean Pepper that I purchased for a fun overwinter project. Sadly it started displaying leaf spot ( hard for me to tell them apart).

It is such a slow grower, the peppers are just starting to form. No visible specks on the babies.

I removed the offending 4 leaves, 3 on bottom and one midway. What can I use to control further spread, that would be safe to bring indoors in the next 2-3 weeks?

I am also thinking of repotting to coir (wondersoil) before bringing indoors.

- Lisa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diseased caribbean pepper.JPG (113.4 KB, 83 views)
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

It might be bacterial leaf spot, if so since it was a purchased plant it probably was seed transmitted.
You can read about it here and preventative and control measures:
Bacterial Leaf Spot of Chile Pepper: A Short Guide for Growers

I would keep it away from other plants and monitor it for any further developments.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have that stuff on nearly every pepper plant in my garden and it has been that way for years. It seems every year we get more and more diseases and then we will have a good year where they let up only to be followed by a disastrous year. I have tried everything to keep the BLS under control and none of them has worked. They have however slowed the disease down enough to allow me to have a bumper crop of bell peppers and Jalapenos. My Malagueta and Cayenne peppers don't seem to be bothered by it. I also have had more TSWV and the ever present fusarium wilt problems which only magnify the problems of growing peppers here. This year late summer has been really bad because of the high level of whitefly infestation which seems to spread the disease and they are impossible to keep under control unless you want to spray poisons every day. You can kill millions of them and in a few days there are millions more. It isn't a good idea to wear a green shirt into the garden right now or you will be swarmed by them.

Pick off the diseased leaves as fast as they show up and it will help slow the spread and use a copper spray every week. I can't keep up with all my diseased leaves now but I did early in the summer and it really helped.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2017   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The last three days we have had constant rain nearly all day and night. I went out this morning and looked over what is left of my garden and was even more disappointed than I thought I would be. Many of my peppers have dropped nearly all their leaves and the new growth is showing the final stages of BLS. It is just a matter of time now til all my bell peppers are in trash bags headed for the dump. I am still researching bells that are resistant to BLS but have not found any that are really able to withstand its effects in a rainy year like this one has been. Of all the varieties I planted I must say that Red Bull looks like it has resisted the onslaught of BLS better than any of the other but even it is looking pretty bad right now.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote