Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 6, 2017   #16
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default if they approach wings-first they are goners

Addendum to previous post. Upon further review...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170706_082131.jpg (211.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170706_082219.jpg (285.8 KB, 112 views)
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Addendum to previous post. Upon further review...
Sadness about the bees. I still dont see birds or lizards though, but I do see whiteflies and leafminer flies. And there are thrips a plenty on your blue cards, and some on the yellow also.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default They are not traps per say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Sadness about the bees. I still dont see birds or lizards though, but I do see whiteflies and leafminer flies. And there are thrips a plenty on your blue cards, and some on the yellow also.
The company says in literature that these are monitors not a full proof eradication method.I look at mine at intervals,take image,collate on a file and see the progression per square.If you just put them there for catching and killing and not "reading the cards"then the critters will be there forever.Ginger did mention the other critters on the card,analyze,then corrective pest management. At least you can see effect over timeWhen a bee hits my windshield,I do feel bad,does not stop me from driving though.Good Luck
Old July 8, 2017   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have some yellow ones I got at the dollar store for using indoors and in the greenhouse. Sad to say last year I put one in the greenhouse and the first thing I caught was a parasitoid wasp. I was only expecting a few fungus gnats or other tiny pests at the time. It was not a very small wasp either, but it sure stuck fast.

The truth is, a lot of bees are tiny and so are many beneficial wasps, ladybeetles etc. The stickies are a broad spectrum trap for anything small enough, even though bigger bees and other critters may escape the best quality products.

So weigh your options, it may still be your best choice, and if so, place them where you will get most pest and least beneficials.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #20
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Those two traps were for the lemon tree, and they represent over 2 mos of activity, wave after wave of guests saying where's the party.

I consider my traps sentinels, nothing more.

They help me tailor welcome parties for my insect visitors, although many that end up wearing concrete shoes are beneficial insects.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #21
elight
Tomatovillian™

So I've had these on my cages for a couple of weeks now. Last night, it rained for the first time since I installed them. Now, all of them on are the ground. It appears that the twist-ties just broke right through the cards when a little wind hit them (aided by the rain).

Has anyone else had this problem? How do I keep these from falling off?
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes. Clothespins help a great deal.
Old March 7, 2018   #23
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I can't use the ties at all; too much wind where I live.

Clothespins work great. 100 for $2 at Walmart. Don't get the craft ones; get the ones by the ironing boards and laundry stuff.

I have a lot of bees in my yard and have never seen one stuck. I use 1 per plant and sometimes 2 per over the course of the season. Probably 60 per year.

The other brands are horrible. I can't imagine what was sold at the dollar store.

Last edited by Barb_FL; March 7, 2018 at 10:24 AM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #24
elight
Tomatovillian™

Great idea, thank you!

I don't think I have any clothespins but I have a ton of binder clips lying around, so I think I'll give those a shot first before running out to the store to buy more "stuff".
Old March 7, 2018   #25
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Ditto that,now we are at 80 plus and when that monsoon shows up,all the sleeping little critters are a comin.Misquitos are on their way,lot of eggs,larvae waiting for that moisture.
Old March 11, 2018   #26
elight
Tomatovillian™

I put out some new sticky traps yesterday. I came inside, and then returned outside about 30 minutes later. All of the traps had already collected 10-12 flies. Yikes!
Old March 11, 2018   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Elight, that's been my experience too.