Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 4, 2017   #46
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Understood. I want to use the bleach spray prevention for fungus diseases. The mite juice is for mites and my current priority. Bill has recipes for both but I am thinking of combining both into a single spray. Adding the Clorox to the mite mix (basically DE, Permethrin, Dawn, 5 oz Clorox, and gallon of water). This should address both concerns in a single spray.. People have mixed Clorox and Permethrin to treat Scabies (per internet) and the DE for swimming pools is actually sold by Clorox and has bleach in it. So I am thinking all together will address it all.
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
I had ordered the Permethrin on Monday and just discoverex that I ordered the termite strength (36%). I assume I can use 1/2 ounce per gallon and be ok?
That is not the kind of Permethrin to spray on vegetables and is not supposed to be used on them. I would advise against using it. It is also far stronger than the 10% livestock and vegetable Permethrin. Three and a half times stronger.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #48
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
Understood. I want to use the bleach spray prevention for fungus diseases. The mite juice is for mites and my current priority. Bill has recipes for both but I am thinking of combining both into a single spray. Adding the Clorox to the mite mix (basically DE, Permethrin, Dawn, 5 oz Clorox, and gallon of water). This should address both concerns in a single spray.. People have mixed Clorox and Permethrin to treat Scabies (per internet) and the DE for swimming pools is actually sold by Clorox and has bleach in it. So I am thinking all together will address it all.
I don't think it is a good idea to mix the bleach in with the Permethrin. Bleach is highly reactive and there is no telling what it might do in combination with Permethrin but I am certainly no chemist. I have never done it and don't intend to do it. I have however mixed a copper spray in with the Permethrin, DE and Dawn and it worked fine. The copper is less likely to damage leaves stressed by the mites than bleach so I think it might be the wiser coarse of action. Your biggest problem right now is stopping the mites. By adding a copper fungicide in your mix you can also help with retarding disease problems without risking shriveling up too many leaves.

The damage from the mites is going to cost you a lot of foliage. I think using the bleach spray right now might cost you more foliage than you can afford to lose on some of those plants. I am a firm believer from long experience in the diluted bleach spray for foliage diseases but there are times when it is not advisable because of damaged leaves that don't necessarily have diseases. I really think you should wait on the bleach spray until you get your mite problem under control. You might even find that removing the mite problem along with a little copper spray will negate the need for the bleach spray.

Bill
Old August 5, 2017   #49
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill

I will go get 10% today and use the 36% around my foundation or see if I can return it.
At this point i may just pull out the damaged plants. Only the tops have green leaves with the bottom 4 feet stripped bear of stems. But the tops look good and have blooms. This has become a personal battle I guess and I want to win. I do have younger fall plants about a foot tall that are healthier so I will make sure those are my first focus for both sprays...

Thanks everyone for the help. You can tell I am new to this hobby, but hey having a blast learning!
Old August 5, 2017   #50
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I've used the 36% without issues, just double check your numbers. V1C1=V2C2

I would 86 those poor plants, concentrate on cukes for now and use your new arsenal to protect your fall babies from day one.

Do not use the all in one mix, its gonna be a lot of reactive players in there.

And finally, use an N95 at the very least.

Last edited by Gerardo; August 5, 2017 at 10:35 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #51
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Bill. Use the copper instead of the bleach as a preventive measure. Bleach only kills the molds while it is still wet. Copper has a lasting effect. Plus copper is is not nearly as reactive.
Old August 5, 2017   #52
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I've used the 36% without issues, just double check your numbers. V1C1=V2C2

I would 86 those poor plants, concentrate on cukes for now and use your new arsenal to protect your fall babies from day one.

Do not use the all in one mix, its gonna be a lot of reactive players in there.

And finally, use an N95 at the very least.
Good advice!

Yes, trash the plants to give the new plants a clean start. At this point you would need to use a couple of different (and expensive) miticides in rotation to eliminate the mites. And, after nuking the plants, you probably wouldn't want to eat the fruit.

Also agree about using a respirator when spraying chlorine bleach. A full face respirator outfitted with multi-gas cartidges will protect your eyes in addition to your nose and lungs.

Steve

Last edited by Heritage; August 5, 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #53
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Good advice!

Also agree about using a respirator when spraying chlorine bleach. A full face respirator outfitted with multi-gas cartidges will protect your eyes in addition to your nose and lungs.

Steve
Steve I have been using the diluted bleach spray for nearly a decade now and have not had any problems. Of course you have to use common sense and not spray against the wind or breath in if it gets blown your way. It is often best to spray when there is little or no wind but that is not always possible so I try to stay upwind when spraying bleach or any fungicides or pesticides. I wear glasses so have never gotten any mist in my eyes so wearing some kind of protection for your eyes would be sensible with anything you spray. In other words just use common sense.

Bill
Old August 5, 2017   #54
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

never mind. it won't let me delete my thought and it isn't needed.

Last edited by clkeiper; August 5, 2017 at 08:30 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2017   #55
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Steve I have been using the diluted bleach spray for nearly a decade now and have not had any problems. Of course you have to use common sense and not spray against the wind or breath in if it gets blown your way. It is often best to spray when there is little or no wind but that is not always possible so I try to stay upwind when spraying bleach or any fungicides or pesticides. I wear glasses so have never gotten any mist in my eyes so wearing some kind of protection for your eyes would be sensible with anything you spray. In other words just use common sense.

Bill
Bill, my advice wasn't intended for old farts like us, it was for young farmers who plan on living for another 50 years. Unless someone is spraying more than just a few plants, I recommend a respirator, with the proper cartridge, when spraying any chemical including bleach. I also highly recommend checking the PAN database before using any pesticide. There are popular pesticides commonly considered safe, that can cause problems . A respirator is a pain-in-the-A to wear but it is relatively cheap insurance.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #56
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Bill or anyone, I have a question about using Serenade and a copper fungicide. Could they be mixed together or should they just be used alternately? I'm always a bit uneasy with the copper but Serenade doesn't seem to have adverse reactions. Less to worry about applying it. I tried bleach but think it was too strong and I burnt a few leaves.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #57
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Bill or anyone, I have a question about using Serenade and a copper fungicide. Could they be mixed together or should they just be used alternately? I'm always a bit uneasy with the copper but Serenade doesn't seem to have adverse reactions. Less to worry about applying it. I tried bleach but think it was too strong and I burnt a few leaves.
If all you did was burn a few leaves it wasn't way too strong. Just cut back a half ounce and it should be perfect.

I used Serenade for two years and had the worst foliage diseases ever those two years of trying to go totally organic. It was just totally incapable of controlling the foliage diseases down here. It might work up there where I am sure the disease pressure is far less.

Copper at the lower recommended dose is easy to use and I have seen no harmful affects from it even on the smallest seedlings. I use the Southern Ag brand of copper fungicide at the rate of one Tbs to the gallon along with a bit of Dawn as a spreader sticker.

Bill
Old August 6, 2017   #58
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
https://newcropsorganics.ces.ncsu.ed...-want-to-know/

Last edited by RayR; August 6, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2017   #59
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Also I read older blogs about using sulfur spray but is appears the experience has moved past this approach to Permethrin, DE, spray?
Old August 7, 2017   #60
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

I have very good results with sulfur but you can't use it once temps get above 90. Which is a lot of days here.!
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote