Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 16, 2017   #16
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

In between it's reached 90+ degrees and very humid. I may have failed to fertilize enough?
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHeat View Post
Well little doggy..... I did the paper test and while it did not reveal much I did see 2 specs moving around.. I assume where there is 2 there is 200?
And 2 days later 2000, etc.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #18
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Update: I have soaked every leaf top and bottom and tomatoes with neem oil mixed with some soap and water. My moisture meter indicated good levels at about 3 inches down (green). My PH is above 7 so not as good as I would like. (3 in 1 probe that has read as low as 6 before). I have added tomato tone into the soil but not watered it in yet. I plan to add some manure on top in the morning and then water it in. I do not want to use a pesticide yet and will neem oil every other day for the next week..
Old June 16, 2017   #19
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Update: I have soaked every leaf top and bottom and tomatoes with neem oil mixed with some soap and water. My moisture meter indicated good levels at about 3 inches down (green). My PH is above 7 so not as good as I would like. (3 in 1 probe that has read as low as 6 before). I have added tomato tone into the soil but not watered it in yet. I plan to add some manure on top in the morning and then water it in. I do not want to use a pesticide yet and will neem oil every other day for the next week..
I wouldn't put much faith in that 3 in 1 probe for measuring PH. There's no way the soil PH is going to swing between 6 and over 7.
I wouldn't be worrying about fertilizing much because fertilizing dead tissue on a stressed plant doesn't work, so keep after those mites!
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #20
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Ok thanks... to summarize we have a mites verses possible nutrient (phosphorous) consideration considering purple leaves. I have fertilizer so I will double down and do both. Everyone thanks so much!!!! This website rocks......

Last edited by HoustonHeat; June 17, 2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old June 17, 2017   #21
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Don't go overboard with treatments. You can end up killing your plants with kindness. Neem ever other day sounds excessive to me.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #22
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ok thanks... to summarize we have a mites verses possible nutrient (phosphorous) consideration considering purple leaves. I have fertilizer so I will double down and do both. Everyone thanks so much!!!! This website rocks......
I think you misunderstand, Marsha said earlier "Mites mimic nutrient deficiencies". Just because there is some purple color to your leaves doesn't mean you have a P deficiency, What first gave me an indication that you have mites is the grayish purple cast under the leaves. The cells on the underside of the leaf have been killed by the mites, one of the responses of the plant to being wounded and under stress is a buildup of antioxidant compounds including the purple anthocyanin pigments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
Don't go overboard with treatments. You can end up killing your plants with kindness. Neem ever other day sounds excessive to me.
I agree but since mites reproduce so rapidly (eggs hatch every 3-5 days) you've got to do something to kill the eggs and the new nymphs. Neem oil and soap sprays are pretty harmless to the plant in normal concentrations.
Some other insecticidal mixtures I would be more careful with. Alternating with different treatments seems to be a better approach.
Old June 18, 2017   #23
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

I did buy some Bonide or Jacks concentrate that said it kills mites, but before I use it I am going to try and drown them with neem oil. Has anyone ever tried the Organocide 3 in 1 that uses Sesame Oil? I love my good bugs too much to kill them. I just learned this year what an assasin bug is and these soilders are in my garden and I am short on lady bugs... but I hate those lady bug coat wearing Mexican bean beetles. That's cheating...��

For the nutrients it has been a while since I fertilized so it's time anyway.
However it's now hit 90 degrees in Houston and I read bloom set may be over for a while. I figure I still need to feed the tomatoes fruits to grow large.

Lesson learned - I transplanted some tray fall seedlings and the Heat shriveled several up. I hope they will grow back. Also in March I drowned my tomatoes with topsoil mix and now using potting mix I can't water enough. I am thinking a potting soil (middle of road) will be better next year.

Man I have a whole new respect for farmers... this is some crazy stuff!!!
Old June 18, 2017   #24
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I did buy some Bonide or Jacks concentrate that said it kills mites, but before I use it I am going to try and drown them with neem oil. Has anyone ever tried the Organocide 3 in 1 that uses Sesame Oil? I love my good bugs too much to kill them. I just learned this year what an assasin bug is and these soilders are in my garden and I am short on lady bugs... but I hate those lady bug coat wearing Mexican bean beetles. That's cheating...
Organocide 3 in 1 is a good product, I use that myself in rotation with neem oil sprays for mites. It's a bit stinky at first because of the fish oil in it.
Works well on powdery mildew on my squash and cukes too.
Old June 18, 2017   #25
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray. I used Organicide this morning. It does smell but not stinky for me. Just different.
I am rotating it with neem oil also...

Happy Fathers Day everyone!!!
Old June 18, 2017   #26
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
One can see adult mites easily with naked eye (I guess it depends on the eyes though).
It also depends on the mite species.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks Ray. I used Organicide this morning. It does smell but not stinky for me. Just different.
I am rotating it with neem oil also...

Happy Fathers Day everyone!!!
Don't forget to wash your sprayer out immediately with a good soapy water mix. Then run through with clear water.That stuff gums up a sprayer in no time with a sticky residue if you leave the excess in the sprayer. Guess how I learned that?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2017   #28
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ginger.... That was good advice..
Old June 19, 2017   #29
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Update: Things are getting better with lots of work. I am spraying with Neem Oul, 2 days later with Sesame Oil, then 2 days later a good water hose spray down. This combined with the fertilizer is bringing back good color. There is still a ways to go but I think the mites are leaving. I am having to ensure I and spraying all plants so each day I am spraying about 10 plants..
Old July 30, 2017   #30
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

Update::: Well what a crazy ride it's been and I still amazes me how either horrible I am as a Gardner, or how difficult this can be. So after rotating some organic sprays things got better but I realized I could not maintain that approach. I stopped a week and the mites came back with a vengence. I then decided to use Spinosad but here is where I made another mistake. I wanted to use a pump sprayer to make it easier so rinsed out my sprayer pretty well. The sprayer had been used prior with weed killer. Well apparently if thought I rinsed it very very well and pumped soapy water through the hose. I also decided to Spray younger healthy plants as a mite prevention approach. Well as you can guess it seemed to caused my plants to turn brown on certain stems and many stems to die , which I have removed.

CONFUSION:: now I don't know if the Spinosad could have caused this result, or if some residual weed killer caused it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.jpg (680.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (466.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0084.jpg (607.0 KB, 105 views)