Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 16, 2012   #16
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Default Good season.....so far

By far, this is the best our humble crop of tomatoes have done in years! Yes to adequate rain.. And I think also night time temps have been lower. Diseases and bugs are manageable, my biggest complaint is that the birds have taken notice of the nice crop. Dagnabbit!!!
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #17
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

liz, I would suggest bird netting, but then you would have to be on the watch for those that get caught so on second thought I don't have a suggestion after all. Sorry about that they have found your wonderful maters.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2012   #18
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Default birds 'n tomatoes

LOL ! Of course the birds found my 'maters, I have 4 birdfeeders scattered in the yard!!
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #19
Mikedog
Tomatovillian™

hey Liz. I hated catching birds also so now I wrap the whole cage in an old bed sheet or loosley drape cloth over clusters. Of course the smart ones figure it out but it saves a few for us.
Mikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #20
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I get around hardening off seedlings by starting seeds exposed to the elements. The rules are different here in Miami, like our growing season is the winter.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2013   #21
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for sharing this. Being new to gardening, it was very informative. Now I have to find Carolyn's book
I tried growing two beefsteak, store bought plants last summer and they both had the leaves roll upward and seemed to get extra thick. Still don't know what it was, but they only produced 2 small tomatoes, all of the other blossoms bloomed and fell off. I gave up on them and threw them in the trash This year, beginning of Jan. I started my plants from seeds, Jaune Flamme, Delicious and Pomodoro. I started my seeds outside as I don't have room inside. They are all around 4" tall with their 4th set of leaves coming out. They all look pretty healthy which is exciting. I just might have a bit of green in my thumbs afterall. (praying)
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #22
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

I read the descriptions of each the disease then did a image search on the web of each. They all pretty much look the same. It is hard to tell one from the other. Some pictures describing the differences in each one would be nice if someone knows that kind of info. Great article tho. Thanks for posting
Old July 2, 2013   #23
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

This is very helpful to me, thanks
linzelu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2013   #24
mari.beth
Tomatovillian™

This is a fabulous article. Thank you for sharing it!!

We have had an incredibly wet spring /summer so far. I am growing 15 tomato plants in raised beds. In one bed, the Amish Paste plant started out with what I think is Septoria Leaf Spot or blight (they do look similar as someone else commented above) and now several other plants are infected. In the other bed, the only hybrid I am growing, Sweet 100 (I think that is the name) started with something that looks slightly different (but still like any one of the diseases mentioned above - or it may just be because the leaves look very different). I also noticed what might be Blossom End Rot on a couple of tiny green Black Krims. I had some Greencure left over from last year when I grew tomato plants in 5-gallon buckets and had major fungus and BER problems. I sprayed the plants with Greencure today, but I just ordered a copper solution based on several things I have read tonight. I was wondering how long between treatments I should wait and if I should continue to vary the two products or just stick with the copper solution. Also, I have not fertilized for a couple of weeks and was planning on putting down some Tomatotone and adding another layer of straw mulch this week. I wonder if I should wait on doing those things. I have one Italian Heirloom that looks like it will be ripe in a few days and would hate to lose most of my other plants before I get to eat some tasty heirloom tomatoes!!! This is my first year with raised beds and only 3rd year growing tomatoes - I am frustrated that I am battling plant diseases and probably doing things all wrong!!! Any advice would be appreciated!
mari.beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2017   #25
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

How do you avoid root knot nematodes if you are planting in the same location?I am having a major problem with them.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2017   #26
Garf
Tomatovillian™

The only method I know of is soil sterilization, but that is a nasty process. I have gone to containers as a last resort.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #27
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Default Best methods and practices for heirlooms

Did not know where this would exactly fit.
Would like for us to share our best methods and practices for growing heirloom tomatoes.I have seen several commercial heirloom operations growing Cherokee Purple and others with which appears to be little trouble.Called two of the operations and asked for advice but no luck.They have acres of heirlooms and great production.
Don't really want to hear criticism of their methods would love to hear what keeps your heirlooms healthy and productive.What are you doing that WORKS.
Thanks
Rick
central South Carolina

PS; Would really like new knowledge and methods.Here in South Carolina constantly fighting some disease.Enviroment; 95+s daily thunder storms 100% humidity.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #28
MayApril
Tomatovillian™

Default Try using a biofungicide

In NJ last year, all my heirlooms were infected with something. All the leaves were turning yellow like crazy. Not gradual at all. Cemtral Jersey last year had too much rain and humidity which always causes some problems. This year when I planted my seeds I watered them with a biofungicide that promises to protect them for 3 months and help them take in more nutrients. So far, the plants are growing faster and healthier. I use one of those 3 tiered light gardens to start them. Everytime you transplant them to a bigger pot, you water again. Last time is when you put them in the soil. Right now because I have a small yard, I put them in bags but each year I replace one third to 1/2. This year I am thinking I might have to trash all the soil in the bags. Each bag is 1/3 potting soil,manure and regular jersey soil. I use 2 tall cages for each heirloom as they grow 6 feet at least. Problem is I love to try new varieties so the bags are only 1 foot apart!
I am trying the new dwarfs developed by Craig LeHoillier and sold by some site but they will go in bags in my part sun garden. Every year brings new surprises! I garden only with organic methods!:

Last edited by MayApril; May 14, 2018 at 08:38 AM.
MayApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here is the other thread that MayApril started,just so everyone is on the same page.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...021#post700021

Carolyn