Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old November 10, 2015   #31
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Dino
How did your tomatoes do in 2015. Did the septoria return?
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #32
denno70
Tomatovillian™

Default disease

-Yes, I started out the usual way, with tomato plants growing very strong, and then, just after the fruits are setting, the brown leaves show up on the lower branches. It works out likeI was growing 'determinate' varieties, where I get one main crop, and then the plants die off, ending my season in early August. Do you have the same result?
denno70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #33
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Yes i have the same results here in the piedmont close to greensboro. So the extra phosphate didn't help i guess. I relly hate to use daconil, have you tried it yet?
Old November 11, 2015   #34
denno70
Tomatovillian™

I was under the impression that if my plants were really strong, they might overcome these diseases. I guess that might be true to a point, but this disease seems to be in the soil and affects the plants, no matter what. I have tried using the dust for funguses and putting cardboard down to keep the plant leaves from contacting the soil and some other 'fixes', but nothing seems to work. I must say the phosphate really works best for my sweet potatoes with the average potato coming in at over 3lbs, and the biggest at 5lb 3oz. I haven't tried "daconil' or heard of it before. Was it developed for these tomato diseases? I'm in the Mt Airy area if I didn't mention it before.
denno70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #35
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Many people on here use daconil and say it helps as a prevention. I have not used it because it allegedily can cause cancer in humans, but no proven cases as far as i know. I lose my tomatoes every year to different kinds of blight. Trying a hoop house this coming year and planting some determinates to see if i can get a crop before the june diseases start up. Also plan to use actinovate and excel lg. Hav not tried them yet. Folks on here have said good things about them.