Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 1, 2018   #16
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
It is and thanks so much! My sister loves Celebrity, but struggles growing it in recent years. Did you grow it yet? Love to hear your review of it.
I have grown Celebrity several years and it has nearly always been a dependable season long producer. Grows about 5 feet tall and puts out very good tasting and attractive medium sized tomatoes. Heat doesn't bother it as much as the big heirlooms. Last year was the exception in my garden, it didn't do that well but will certainly plant it again.
By the way, the Tycoon seeds came from Paramount seeds in California and are
Thiram treated. They produce a smallish plant with med sized fruit that is indeed a little better than the other two I mentioned.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #17
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
There seem to be a lot of links to that article, but no seeds from any of the major sellers. Introduced in 2011, seems like it should be available for sale? Advertised on Ali Express, but marked "no longer available."

Is it O.P.? Curious -- has it "come and gone?"

-GG
Tycoon is a hybrid variety produced by Hazera seed company. I think it has been replaced by newer varieties. Let me know if you would like some of that seed and we can swap addresses.
Old March 2, 2018   #18
ondika
Tomatovillian™

I looked up Hazera Co. and am going to see if I can buy some seed. They have a couple varieities that are TYCLV resistant. Thanks for the info. If I don't hear from them I would take you up on your offer creeker if you still have any seeds left.
ondika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #19
creeker
Tomatovillian™

OK let me know. They only sell wholesale to dealers.
Old March 5, 2018   #20
creeker
Tomatovillian™

What I meant to say was Hazera MAY only sell to whole sale dealers. Good luck in your search.
Old March 5, 2018   #21
ondika
Tomatovillian™

They haven't responded to me yet. I may have to buy seeds from you Creeker if you have them.
Old March 7, 2018   #22
elight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
None of the 60 plus tomatoes I had set out in mid summer were productive after getting tylcv from the whitefly invasion of last summer. I had around 40 different varieties and not a single one produced any decent fruits once the disease became apparent. Last year was the first time I experienced this plague. I’m hoping that the winter cold was enough to get rid of the whiteflies that carry it.
I, too, had a major whitefly/TYLCV problem in Central Florida last fall, to the point where my 14 plants produced a grand total of maybe a half-dozen tomatoes. I'm hoping that between the freezes this winter and removing my citrus trees (which were diseased themselves and no longer producing), it will control it for spring.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2018   #23
ondika
Tomatovillian™

Whiteflies seen especially bad here in central Florida, they completely infested the papaya trees too
Old April 8, 2018   #24
Harry Cabluck
Tomatovillian™

Anybody have more information about how to defeat Whitefly infestation besides sticky traps?
Harry Cabluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If they come back this year I am going to get a good insect fogger and see if that will work. From seeing them used I would think they would be much more effective because they cover the whole area. It might be terrible for all the helpful insects but they didn't help any last year. Spraying with a conventional sprayer just slows them down a little because so many are missed by the spray. I don't know if a fogger will work but I'm not going down without a fight next time.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2018   #26
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Is there a time of year that white flies "show up" in Florida? I'd never seen one before and I found one yesterday that was all by itself. I'm anxious now knowing that all it takes is one whitefly to transmit the virus. I've had sticky traps out and haven't caught one on any of them. From what I've gathered from reading posts is there's not really much you can do once you've seen them on the plants, they could have already done their dirty work. Is the goal to keep them to a minimum and pray the ones you see aren't infected?
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote