Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 20, 2018   #1
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

Default Can I disburse milky spore with a leaf blower or hand duster?

I have been fighting moles in my lawn and garden for decades with basically no success. I have bought and tried EVERY trap and bait and spray sold. None of it has worked.

I am now going to try the milky spore treatment to eliminate grubs.

QUESTION: Is there any reason I cannot just blow the milky spore powder around my yard with a leaf blower or a hand duster?

All of the instructions say, "Apply one teaspoon of milky spore powder to turf every 4 feet in rows 4 feet apart. It should look like a grid pattern when finished. Areas between direct applications will be inoculated naturally."

That seems kind of laborious and tedious.

Is there some reason milky spore needs to be concentrated in spots?
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018   #2
henry
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHaskins View Post
I have been fighting moles in my lawn and garden for decades with basically no success. I have bought and tried EVERY trap and bait and spray sold. None of it has worked.

I am now going to try the milky spore treatment to eliminate grubs.

QUESTION: Is there any reason I cannot just blow the milky spore powder around my yard with a leaf blower or a hand duster?

All of the instructions say, "Apply one teaspoon of milky spore powder to turf every 4 feet in rows 4 feet apart. It should look like a grid pattern when finished. Areas between direct applications will be inoculated naturally."

That seems kind of laborious and tedious.

Is there some reason milky spore needs to be concentrated in spots?
Have you considered a granular product?
http://stgabrielorganics.com/product...granules-20-lb
Old March 20, 2018   #3
beasl004
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
Have you considered a granular product?
http://stgabrielorganics.com/product...granules-20-lb
I used the granulated milky spore year before last and had a tremendous reduction in japanese beetles last year. Just be aware that milky spore will work, but it's not immediate. The good news is thats it's persistent and should last for 15-20 years.
beasl004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2018   #4
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

I have not tried the granular milky spore but the powder I got came from the same source: St. Gabriel Organics.

Reading the label, I am now wondering if the powdery milky spore could grow in a person's lungs if he did an aerial application.

I bought an N-95 mask, but still not sure I want to risk it.

OK. It does not sound too bad. I found this:

Quote:
Milky Spore Powder itself is not toxic. However, Milky Spore contains chalk and a powder carrier. Care should be taken not to get any dust in one's eyes as it is an irritant. You should wear protective clothing and a mask to prevent the powder from getting in your lungs.
And this SDS:

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/in...ySporeMSDS.pdf

Last edited by JerryHaskins; March 20, 2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old March 21, 2018   #5
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

A leaf blower is pretty powerful and with such a light powder, I think that you would probably blow away quite a bit of it.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #6
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
A leaf blower is pretty powerful and with such a light powder, I think that you would probably blow away quite a bit of it.
I can damp the air flow on the leaf blower to low flow, and I can aim it downward, but my yard and garden are pretty large. Wherever it settles will be OK with me.

Of course, I would wait on a non-windy day---assuming that we will ever get such a thing.