Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old December 29, 2017   #151
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Marsha, I saw all those colors. I like the Terra Cotta color which looks like our native soil here and makes me think of clay pots. I am also thinking of the white because of white reflecting light/heat to-a-point. If just going for aesthetics, the blue looks nice and calming.

How many tomato plants can you plant in each one? I'm thinking two?
All of mine are Terracotta. Earthbox recommends 2. That's what I do. They have a planting instruction manual with diagrams of what where,and how many to plant for most types of veggies you can think of. It's available to read on their website.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #152
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I can't justify getting an Earthbox without the wheels, unfortunately that add a lot to the cost. It's very heavy once filled with water and potting mix. I think for older people the wheels are a requirement, or you have to use a dolly.
What about a hand truck? Or is that what you called a dolly?

Hand truck have larger rubber tires and you can use it for so many other back breaking jobs. You would't need the appliance style, but I would recommend one with the metal guard between the tires and whatever you are hauling.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #153
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I don't use my earthboxes as designed anymore, I can't do the physical work that was supposed to be easier for those who can't have a regular garden. I cannot do all that mixing and what not needed to keep them going so hubby built me some raised beds about 30" high.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2018   #154
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I can't justify getting an Earthbox without the wheels, unfortunately that add a lot to the cost. It's very heavy once filled with water and potting mix. I think for older people the wheels are a requirement, or you have to use a dolly.

I buy my own 2" wheels from the hardware store but they don't fit, which I'm sure is done on purpose, I just use adhesive and now they are stuck, although not a good idea if you want to remove them later on.
The ones (stems) on the earth box are 3/8 diameter by 7/8 long.
I have found them on line but not at the lower cost of the earth box ones with a fast search.

They also sell them in 5/16 size and 7/16 and lord knows what stems which is what you got I bet.

This may help in your looking just something I found.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018   #155
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I'm not sure what you call it, but in the pictures C-K-B above that you posted - they have what I think of as a split O ring near the top. Our kitchen faucet has one. I'm curious to why it is not a solid O ring? Also, what is really called? Does it work like a split washer (Lock washer)?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2018   #156
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well the pictuer is gone for some reason.
They are called grip rings.
They normally compress and fit into a groove the shaft goes into and snap back into place to keep the shaft from falling out.
Sometimes as in most casters they just compress and are held in place by friction.

Worth
Old January 3, 2018   #157
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I don't remember the exact name of the grafting thread - so I'll post this here since it has N in it.

I got my copy of Seeds N Such today. It says this is new:
RST-04-105-T Hybrid Rootstock VFFFN

https://www.seedsnsuch.com/product/r...otstock-vfffn/
Old January 5, 2018   #158
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The ones (stems) on the earth box are 3/8 diameter by 7/8 long.
I have found them on line but not at the lower cost of the earth box ones with a fast search.

They also sell them in 5/16 size and 7/16 and lord knows what stems which is what you got I bet.

This may help in your looking just something I found.

Nope, I think they purposefully use a non-standard size.

I bought this kit with both 3/8 and 7/16 stem and neither fit. 3/8 fell through, and I couldn't flip the container over to try and hammer the 7/16 in, but I doubt it fits correctly.

I guess it's some where in the middle between the two sizes, 9.5 to 11mm, I see there are 10mm casters too.

In any case, I bought it used with free shipping so I didn't lose anything. I can still use it with my next Earthbox purchase with a little adhesive.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 5, 2018 at 07:08 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2018   #159
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nope, I think they purposefully use a non-standard size.

I bought this kit with both 3/8 and 7/16 stem and neither fit. 3/8 fell through, and I couldn't flip the container over to try and hammer the 7/16 in, but I doubt it fits correctly.

I guess it's some where in the middle between the two sizes, 9.5 to 11mm, I see there are 10mm casters too.

In any case, I bought it used with free shipping so I didn't lose anything. I can still use it with my next Earthbox purchase with a little adhesive.
Their darn website says 3/8ths X7/8ths.
Try wrapping them in good 3M 33 or 88 plus electrical tape first.
Worth
Old January 7, 2018   #160
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't remember the exact name of the grafting thread - so I'll post this here since it has N in it.

Salt let us know how well this one works. I use the 106 version. From what I can read the 105 has complete resistance to V wilt but is sensitive to Tobacco mosaic while the 106 is just the opposite. There is a 107 variety that is for both egg plants and tomatoes and it has complete resistance to both and all the other strengths of both the 105 and 106. I haven't found a seller yet but want to try it. I like trying various root stocks just to see how the different scions react to them.

I don't know how many seed you got but if this is your first time please go and read some of the threads on grafting because there are some tips that may help you. One that can save a lot of money is to root the top of the root stock seedling you are using for grafting and it will be ready to use again in a few weeks. If you run into any problems feel free to give me a shout. I think I have run into just about all the different problems that can arise when grafting; but I'm sure some new one will pop up on me since I said that.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #161
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Root Knot Nematodes (RKN)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Salt let us know how well this one works. I use the 106 version. From what I can read the 105 has complete resistance to V wilt but is sensitive to Tobacco mosaic while the 106 is just the opposite. There is a 107 variety that is for both egg plants and tomatoes and it has complete resistance to both and all the other strengths of both the 105 and 106. I haven't found a seller yet but want to try it. I like trying various root stocks just to see how the different scions react to them.

Bill

Salt, thanks for posting that!

Last year I tried a few plants on the 106 but they all went down fast, in my mind confirming that I have V wilt. The rest were grafted onto DRO-141tx and did great. I was going to go with all DRO Stock this year, but I think I'll give the 105 a try. It's certainly cheaper than the DRO from Johnny's!

And here is the grafting thread - http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43633

It was for 2017, but has so much valuable info that it can probably continue on into the future.

Bill, if you hear about the 107 becoming available, please let us know.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2018   #162
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you,

I forgot the 2017 part. I just posted there.
Old January 17, 2018   #163
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Difference between corn in containers and in nematode soil. Nothing surprising here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180117_1618.JPG (458.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180117_1645.JPG (496.7 KB, 44 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018   #164
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Max, thanks for the pictures. It does drive home the point of what RKN does to your plants.