Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 21, 2017   #16
MissS
Tomatovillian™

You stop fertilizing perennials, trees and shrubs in August to allow them to go into dormancy for the winter. Fertilizing your annuals just keeps them going strong until they are taken down by the frost.

It is phosphorous that is being reduced and/or banned in fertilizers. It is causing havoc with the algae in our water. When the algae dies the bacterial boom that results from it kills the fish through disease and suffocation.
Old September 21, 2017   #17
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Patti. I wondered why I couldn't find anything about Potassium when it's PHOSPHOROUS that is the bad guy. Sorry for misleading you Bower!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #18
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Excess Nitrogen in waterways is also a major problem

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...helms-streams/
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

No worries! I have a well here, and marshes and catchment sites on my property, so I think about the runoff issues whenever I think about any garden development that might be near them. You never know when something new (information) might come up or be discovered, so although in this case it wasn't, nothing wrong with being certain.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
That's disappointing about the Promix - and it's not cheap either! I was going to try it next season, but now maybe I'll give it a miss

Is there anything organic and dissolvable that people recommend?

I use Tomato Tone in the planting hole, but don't want to sprinkle that around the top and attract critters.

Linda
Yes, several times i have suggested using Neptune Harvest products,both fish and algal.They are all organic.

I sprayed plants with them, but not small seedlings,since if you use too much ferts too early, what you get are nasty leggy plants with unbalanced growth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nept...&bih=788&dpr=1

All of their products are Omri rated and cold pressed so all of the more rare ions and molecules are still in there.

Carolyn
Old September 21, 2017   #21
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's a really good point, Carolyn. Why am I forgetting fish emulsion? Actually I've seen my mother get really good results using fish emulsion to feed tomato plants in 5 gallon containers. I've used it for peppers with excellent results too, but I add some blackstrap molasses to get the K in there (or hope to do so) and reduce the smell. Kelp is another source of K too. It's just a bit more complicated to make it a liquid (and I do already use it solid)... and of course, it's also worth the cash to buy a good product like Neptune's Harvest. I should try getting some in bulk because the "Muskie" brand I had last is running $10 a liter.
I was pretty desperate the day I bought that Promix stuff for $25.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #22
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn. I bought some liquid fishy stuff here in Ontario specifically to use on my seedlings, but I can use it on my plants in the garden instead. I can dilute it with pond water for some extra pizzazz

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
That's a really good point, Carolyn. Why am I forgetting fish emulsion? Actually I've seen my mother get really good results using fish emulsion to feed tomato plants in 5 gallon containers. I've used it for peppers with excellent results too, but I add some blackstrap molasses to get the K in there (or hope to do so) and reduce the smell. Kelp is another source of K too. It's just a bit more complicated to make it a liquid (and I do already use it solid)... and of course, it's also worth the cash to buy a good product like Neptune's Harvest. I should try getting some in bulk because the "Muskie" brand I had last is running $10 a liter.
I was pretty desperate the day I bought that Promix stuff for $25.
I should have said kelp, not seaweed,or maybe they are the same. And no smell at all since everything is cold pressed.

It's all good, I think, and yes,most of the time I do think,but that's a self assesment.

carolyn
Old September 30, 2017   #24
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Just read this thread. Here is a thread about fish emulsion's role in disease suppression

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44486
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017   #25
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Interesting, thanks. I think the TTF worked similarly to the Fish. I will see how it goes next year, I hope to try it starting early and using it on a fairly regular basis.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #26
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I do foliar feed as per Smiling gardener recommendations, on my veggies and perennials.
https://www.smilinggardener.com/sale...c-fertilizers/
Also use TTF for few years now and will be using again. It works. It does not stop or prevent early blight if you garden in same spot year after year as I do on community garden plots but it lets me get very decent yield way before plant succumbs to its problems.
Jon Frank sends series of emails I have found interesting read https://www.highbrixgardens.com/30-d...ng-plants.html
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote