Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 11, 2010   #1
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Default 2010 Potatoes

I would be interested in knowing what potatoes everyone is going to grow this season?

My List:
Blue Victor
Danninger Blaue
German Butterball
Gescheckte Kolm
Linzer Rose
Rote Kipfler
Wettstein's White Cresent

This will be my first year since the late 70's/early 80's for growing potatoes. I assume it still works the same?

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2010   #2
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Nice variety. Mine will all be grown from TPS. The planting is easy for seed tubers. The digging can be a bit of work, but digging up buried treasure can hardly be considered work.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2010   #3
rockytopsis
Tomatovillian™

Newbie question here -- what is TPS ?
rockytopsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2010   #4
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

TPS is the acronym for True Potato Seed. Sometimes folks say botanical seed or potato seeds. The last has seed as the plural and seeds rather indicate true seed rather than tubers. I say (Seed Potatoes) for tubers and (Potato Seeds) for TPS.

Late last night I was sowing 72 kinds of potato seeds ---TPS----enough to get about a thousand seedlings to transplant in about 3 to 5 weeks and with the additional time of 2 to 3 weeks to grow.....I can safely put them in the field about 10 to 12 inches apart. I hope to get nearly one ton of potatoes from that flat.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2010   #5
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

TPS=True Potato Seeds

I received an extra potato variety in an order from a gentlemen in Minnesota. I will now be growing "Rosa Ungarische" potatoes as well.

Dean
Old May 23, 2010   #6
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I planted my potatoes yesterday. DH made me rows with the tractor pulled potato planter and I planted the seed tubers by hand to the rows. I had 12 varieties, and only few potatoes of the last year's TPS spuds, so dropping by the machine would had been difficult. I got about 90 meters of potato rows and the spuds about a foot apart.

Varieties are:
Lapin Puikula
Blue Congo
Peruvian Purple
Unknown big bakers (sprouted potatoes from grocery store and no variety was marked)
Wagner's Yellow (2008 TPS)
Wagner's Red (2008 TPS)
Wagner's Purple (2008 TPS)
Wagner's Amethyst (2008 TPS)
Wagner #1-2009 (2009 TPS)
Wagner #2-2009 (2009 TPS)
Potato Dance yellow (2009 TPS)
Potato Dance red (2009 TPS)

I had to give names to the 2008 TPS potatoes, so I named them with the seed source and color of the potato, so I know them better when they start to grow.
Old May 23, 2010   #7
puzzley
Tomatovillian™

My varieties for this year are:

Red Norland
Nicola
Yellow Finn
Russian Banana
Red thumb
Rose Finn Apple

I'm trying to find a satisfactory replacement for Yukon Gold, as I had a terrible time with hollow heart in it last year...
puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2010   #8
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

My potatoes are up and growing. It is exciting, only time to weed already as well.

I am excited because I have only eaten and grown Russets, Yukons and baby red potatooes in my life. They blue potatoes are of special interest.

Dean
Old June 10, 2010   #9
Talonstorm
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year ever growing potatoes. I am trying the following varieties:

German Butterball
All Blue
Katahdin

My dad informs me that he always grew Katahdins when he had his big veggie garden, he seems to feel they will do the best. So far, they do have the best growth. Once they get going, wow, you could almost see them grow they shot up so fast! I am hoping I get a good harvest, but I have read of so many home gardeners that failed with potatoes that I am not getting my hopes up too high.

Tina
Talonstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2010   #10
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

When do you guys put your potatoes in the ground? Soon it's going to be very hot here in Los Angeles and I'm not sure potatoes will like that. Having just pulled up my first crop, I'd love to put a variety in the ground that can tolerate the heat. Any suggestions?
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote