Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 30, 2016   #1411
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Barb,

Why do you have the grow bag in the collander?

The pictures are very helpful.. .. :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I have the colander in the grow bag so there is less wicking. I'm adding the colander now on all bottom watering.

I have the Walmart bag in the laundry basket so I can stake better (hard to believe - haha ) and better support.

Laundry basket and colanders both bought at Dollar Tree $1 each. Laundry baskets don't last more than a couple of seasons. However, the $.50 Walmart bag seems to last several years.

I ran out of Root Pouches when that was planted so it must have been January/February.

Going forward, I'm just staying with the root pouches since the Laundry basket doesn't last and looks like crap. Together they are the same price as a 3-4 year root pouch.

On the cheap, I've also taken the Toll House Cookie Dough Tubs and drill holes on the bottom and side and used these as the 'colander'. They last forever...

====
Cucumber update - picked #223 - 230 today. DH said plant 100 seeds and can stop world hunger.

Marsha - the Sweet Success plant has grown past the 4' cage. I can no longer tell which plant was the runt. Lots of tiny buds (future cucumbers) on them. I did not notice the last time I grew SS. I hope they hold off from flowering for 4 more weeks. Picture to follow in my Florida Gardening thread.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #1412
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb

You have the magic touch with cucmbers. I havent had much luck with them.

Ok thats was a laundry basket that I thought was a collander... :-)

I understand now.

Ginny

Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #1413
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Canned some salsa....

Made two batches. 8 cups of tomatoes in each bowl draining the juices...

Firgot to take a picture of both plates of diced up goodies but here is one of them

Cooked it all for 10 minutes

Filled the jars and boiled them for 10 minutes..

Finished product..
Sweet & mild salsa on the right. Spicy, no sugar on the left.

First time I canned anything. It was pretty easy.

Thanks again Marsha for the recipe.

Ginny
Old July 30, 2016   #1414
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I've been canning for 3-4 years now. It opens up so many doors once you get that skill. OK, Ginny, time to graduate to homemade ketchup, sweetened mostly with blond raisins? This recipe also has ginger. It's so much better than the store bought high fructose corn syrup stuff, once you try it, you'll never go back. Excellent on those rosemary oven fries when they are crisped up in the toaster oven the next day.
Posting now so I don't lose this, I'll be right back with the recipe.

OK, here it is: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/tom...-tomato-sauce/

I use a food mill on the large holed disc much faster than straining, I don't add any sodium benzoate.
Great recipe, I have made it 4 times.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2016   #1415
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I have the colander in the grow bag so there is less wicking. I'm adding the colander now on all bottom watering.
I have the Walmart bag in the laundry basket so I can stake better (hard to believe - haha ) and better support.
Laundry basket and colanders both bought at Dollar Tree $1 each. Laundry baskets don't last more than a couple of seasons. However, the $.50 Walmart bag seems to last several years.
I ran out of Root Pouches when that was planted so it must have been January/February.
Going forward, I'm just staying with the root pouches since the Laundry basket doesn't last and looks like crap. Together they are the same price as a 3-4 year root pouch.
On the cheap, I've also taken the Toll House Cookie Dough Tubs and drill holes on the bottom and side and used these as the 'colander'. They last forever...
====
Cucumber update - picked #223 - 230 today. DH said plant 100 seeds and can stop world hunger.
Marsha - the Sweet Success plant has grown past the 4' cage. I can no longer tell which plant was the runt. Lots of tiny buds (future cucumbers) on them. I did not notice the last time I grew SS. I hope they hold off from flowering for 4 more weeks. Picture to follow in my Florida Gardening thread.
Barb_FL,
You have to be one of Tomatoville's most enterprising gardeners.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #1416
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

Thanks for the ketchup recipe. Will have to try that one also. And i still have to find time to get a smoker and smoke tomayoes and cheese... lol. And work full time and take care of family and so on and so on.. lol.

Hey do you have any notes or remember how productive Wes has been for you?

I'm asking because the one I'm growing here had about 15 tomatoes then quit setting fruit. Most of my plants here did that due to low sunlight. But after i pruned and topped them and left only the mature yellow blossoms but got rid off all suckers and green blossoms it set 24 new tomatoes so far which are growing.pretty quickly now. The 15 previous tomatoes are mostly all mature green ready to break color any day. I'm wondering if this is an excessive amout of tomatoes for a plant like Wes that has such large fruit. Thinking of trying this pruning suckers and topping thing at home when my plants slow down on setting fruit and timing it for when there are a lot of mature yellow blossoms. In the past I mostly just pruned for air flow.

Most of my plants here set a whole new round of tomatoes when i topped and pruned the suckers and they had petered out and were not setting new ones for a while prior to doing that. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Ginny

Old July 31, 2016   #1417
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Barb_FL,
You have to be one of Tomatoville's most enterprising gardeners.
Larry
Totally agree.. :-)

She is our experiment/lab person too and so good at it!!

Ginny
Old July 31, 2016   #1418
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Fiishergurl;583125]Marsha,

Thanks for the ketchup recipe. Will have to try that one also. And i still have to find time to get a smoker and smoke tomayoes and cheese... lol. And work full time and take care of family and so on and so on.. lol.

I'm asking because the one I'm growing here had about 15 tomatoes then quit setting fruit. Most of my plants here did that due to low sunlight. But after i pruned and topped them and left only the mature yellow blossoms but got rid off all suckers and green blossoms it set 24 new tomatoes so far which are growing.pretty quickly now. The 15 previous tomatoes are mostly all mature green ready to break color any day. I'm wondering if this is an excessive amout of tomatoes for a plant like Wes that has such large fruit. Thinking of trying this pruning suckers and topping thing at home when my plants slow down on setting fruit and timing it for when there are a lot of mature yellow blossoms. In the past I mostly just pruned for air flow.

Most of my plants here set a whole new round of tomatoes when i topped and pruned the suckers and they had petered out and were not setting new ones for a while prior to doing that. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Ginny

I'd very much like to know how topping and pruning suckers, etc late in the season works here in Florida.
Thanks,
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #1419
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Larry,

I'm definitely doing to try it if leaf diseases dont take the fall plants down first. The fall in Oak Hill is normally very wet. The difference here is I have no leaf diseases yet so the plants are super healthy but I guess werent getting enough energy to set more fruit untill I got rid of all that excess baggage. I know people say thats the case anyways but I was surprised at how much new fruit they set so quickly. And i would think that topping them meant no more tomatoes but it was the opposite.

Ginny

Old July 31, 2016   #1420
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

I had left over ingredienta after canning so I made the fresh and salsa recipe you had sent me. It is delicious and so easy! The picture doesnt do it justice. We are going to have it this afternoon with home made guac and a movie... :-)

This forum and all its peeps are so awesome.. :-)

Ginny
Old July 31, 2016   #1421
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Marsha,

Ginny

Ginny, Wes was very productive for me, but I never get the amount of frui set that you do. Even with my vegibee.
About the pruning and more fruit setting, most of my tomatoes quit setting new fruit until the previous round is off the plant. But not all.....
Old July 31, 2016   #1422
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I dont think last year was a good test for the vegibee because your weather was so bad. If your weather is better this year I'll bet you will get a much better result with it.

Thanks for the info on Wes.

Old July 31, 2016   #1423
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Heres the fruit set Im going for... lol. Just kidding. This is a hydroponic, hermetically sealed, climate controlled, gas controlled, greenhouse operation over seas some where. (Not really hermetically sealed... just made that up for effect).

Ginny
Old July 31, 2016   #1424
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Too excited not to post this. Sungold growing in Dr. Earth potting soil and part shade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160731_122019.jpg (294.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160731_120253.jpg (149.7 KB, 47 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #1425
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I dont think last year was a good test for the vegibee because your weather was so bad. If your weather is better this year I'll bet you will get a much better result with it.

Thanks for the info on Wes.

I really do hope we will get better weather, but the forecast is for hotter than normal winter due to La Nina, and the Bermuda high pressure zone.