Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 29, 2020   #766
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Your Tundra is growing very well in my garden presently. I hope to give Polaris a try next season also.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #767
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
Your Tundra is growing very well in my garden presently. I hope to give Polaris a try next season also.

Dan
Excellent! Please let me know how it does and how it tastes for you.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #768
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I'm very glad to do that. I'm guessing I won't be eating them till around Aug. 1st or so, but I'll definitely get back to you.

Dan
Old May 30, 2020   #769
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

No luck posting photo

Last edited by Yak54; May 30, 2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old May 30, 2020   #770
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
No luck posting photo
Tundra should give you ripe fruit in good conditions around 75 days from transplant. I will expect ripe fruit from mine seed sown March 23 transplanted May 12 around mid July
Karen
Old May 30, 2020   #771
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

That sounds good to me. Seeds sown April 7th and transplanted to garden grow bags on May 21st. So I could get ripe fruit a week earlier than I thought

Last edited by Yak54; May 30, 2020 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 2, 2020   #772
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hi Karen,

I'm also growing Tundra this year, I'm excited to try it. The plant is growing nicely, planted out mid May, first blossoms will be opening in the coming days.

Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2020   #773
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Hi Karen,

I'm also growing Tundra this year, I'm excited to try it. The plant is growing nicely, planted out mid May, first blossoms will be opening in the coming days.

Justin
Excellent! Love to hear how it tastes for you
KarenO
Old June 2, 2020   #774
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

This garden is all various large fruited ones of mine and the KARMAs
Growing well and starting to bloom June 1
For the first time, nearly all the plants I’m growing this year are mine with the exception of some very interesting new varieties from Artisan Seeds.
As always, wishing I had more space but my husband is glad I don’t
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17ED3803-569B-49AC-9BAC-5033F8829C98.jpg (300.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 8A7FADC0-3DDF-4338-A30E-CDB0A053C995.jpg (317.2 KB, 104 views)
Old June 2, 2020   #775
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Karen, what are you using as mulch?
Old June 2, 2020   #776
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Mixed White wood shavings. Aspen, birch etc. Sold in compressed bales as animal bedding. Clean, stays put no weed seeds no chemicals.
I rake the majority of it off in the fall and compost it. Breaks down quite well because it’s Thin shavings not chips or chunks.
Been using it for a few years now and I like it.
I buy it at Buckerfields here, I imagine available most feedstores etc. About 13 dollars for this bale, does my whole garden in a thin layer to cover The soil. I also did all my large pots.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7717AAE3-6810-4EE7-97B1-C91299566ADF.jpg (93.4 KB, 99 views)
Old June 3, 2020   #777
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Well, some critter ate the growinig tip off of one of my Taiga plants! I'm so irritated! The good news is I still have another one growing -- I usually don't put out doubles of plants because I like to have a large variety every year, but this year I did.

Happy to say the other Taiga plant is doing beautifully and already putting out enormous leaves, especially for its size, like this beautiful one. It looks practically like an elephant ear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9159.jpg (160.2 KB, 81 views)
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020   #778
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

My first Taiga tomato last year was the best tomato I've ever had. I'm growing 2 this year from Karen's seeds and 1 from seed I saved from last year, which has already exposed itself as a cross with something because it doesn't have true potato leaves. I promise no disappointment with True North Taiga. Karen says to compare Taiga to Midnight Sun so I'll do that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
Well, some critter ate the growinig tip off of one of my Taiga plants! I'm so irritated! The good news is I still have another one growing -- I usually don't put out doubles of plants because I like to have a large variety every year, but this year I did.

Happy to say the other Taiga plant is doing beautifully and already putting out enormous leaves, especially for its size, like this beautiful one. It looks practically like an elephant ear.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020   #779
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Karen, a question about your growing setup -- I see you're using stakes AND cages, do you add a top cage later or is that your typical setup, bottom cage and stake?

I ask because I didn't get enough tomato cages this year -- I usually zip tie a top cage onto the bottom cage, then zip tie a stake to the outside of the cages just to keep the setup from toppling over. This year I have enough bottoms, but not enough tops -- and am wondering if I need to go get more, or if I can just tie the main stem off to a central stake with just the bottom cage and hope that's good enough....
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020   #780
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
Karen, a question about your growing setup -- I see you're using stakes AND cages, do you add a top cage later or is that your typical setup, bottom cage and stake?

I ask because I didn't get enough tomato cages this year -- I usually zip tie a top cage onto the bottom cage, then zip tie a stake to the outside of the cages just to keep the setup from toppling over. This year I have enough bottoms, but not enough tops -- and am wondering if I need to go get more, or if I can just tie the main stem off to a central stake with just the bottom cage and hope that's good enough....
This is all I do. Then I tie the cages together. Makes it pretty solid my plants don’t get super tall, maybe six feet at most