Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 17, 2015   #1
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Default Below average year so far

A fairly low yield with my pole beans (Kentucky Blue) this year considering I planted more than usual. The plants are just not doing as well as they did in the past. My yellow beans did phenomenal earlier on, but are not re-flowering. The bush peas, although I have enough for several meals just did not produce well either.
Prior to this year I planted them along with my corn, this year they had their own new space. Maybe it's the soil, maybe it's because they were battered down early by some storms, I don't know. I used the inoculant which had promises of higher yields, but did not seem to be the magic remedy as bragged.
Next year, I guess I'll increase the bean & pea area to grow more plants, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2015   #2
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Beans here had a poor start early in the season... two days of drenching rains immediately after planting caused many of them to rot in the ground. But I had started backups in pots for most varieties, and they proved to be lifesavers this year. Beans grown for snaps & a short DTM dry bean were replanted, and they too are growing well.

Cowpeas & yardlongs are having an exceptional year, rather surprising since it hasn't been that warm this year. Runner beans set seed in several July cool snaps, and have a good pod set. Limas are really lagging, though, far behind where they should be... unless Fall comes late, it may not be much of a year for getting dry seed.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote