Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 1, 2013   #136
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Ain't gonna happen. It's already November. And, when I say no space between leaf stems, there is none. It is just leaf stems all touching each other in every direction, no part of the stalk can be seen.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2013   #137
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QOEUO 1 November 2013 Brussels Sprouts.
Two plants of brussels sprouts (Jade Cross) were collected. Each plant produced two pounds of sprouts. There were eight plants originally but the rabbits ate them off when young. Brussels sprouts grow well in my area but few people like them and I can’t even give them away. With a bit of care they can be grown perfectly. Spraying is necessary to discourage the white butterfly, and the lower leaves should be pulled so they don’t touch the ground. They should be staked to prevent the stalk from bending.I start them as early as possible in the Spring and they grow well into frost.Frost doesn’t affect the sprouts in spite of the old wives tale to the contrary.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2013   #138
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just set out a dozen plants for this coming year. If the squirrels leave them alone long enough for them to grow I may get some sprouts in late February or March. It is always hit and miss with Brussels Sprouts down here.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2014   #139
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Can I start seeds now for bs, grow them under lights to transplant them when I will start my peas in march it does not really warm up here until May is this enough time to get sprouts?
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2014   #140
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Can I start seeds now for bs, grow them under lights to transplant them when I will start my peas in march it does not really warm up here until May is this enough time to get sprouts?
The longer sprouts have to grow the better. You need tall plants for maximum sprout harvest.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2014   #141
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I agree Beeman. By May you can set these plant out even if a late unusual frost hit your area. Last year my heirloom plants did well with a late frost.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #142
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I started bs on Monday, since my work was cancelled due to the cold weather. Royal Marvel, Long Island Improved, Catskill. Today I bought Burpee Brawny. Was not expecting to see seeds when the Xmas stuff is still selling out. The Burpee rep is early putting the displays up this year. I already bought a few things I start early last year because he usually comes too late for me.

burpee.com/more/50171

Also on the heat mat : Butterfly Weed, a few Broccoli, Echinacea, Prairie Clover, Celery
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #143
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just picked a gallon and a half of sprouts. This is my third picking so far this spring. I quit covering them and they have endured several good freezes with no problems. Unlike broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage they can take weather a good bit colder. Some of the sprouts I am growing this year are looser than most years but they are really pumping them out. I may be tired of them earlier than usual this year; but the cold weather has made them taste better so maybe I won't. With all the cold weather we have had no caterpillars on any thing since fall. I keep expecting to see those white butterflies every time it warms up but before they can get going it freezes again.

I replanted lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage hoping that the spring plants will do better than the winter or fall plants did.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote