Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old March 21, 2014   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default list of tomatoes with precocious flowering

Just wondering if we could compile a list of varieties with the precocious flowering gene that people have encountered along the way.

I had two last year:
Kimberley flowered 46 days from germination
Beaverlodge Plum flowered 44 days from germination.

The trait really stands out because most other "early" varieties like Stupice flowered about 15 days later or more. Cold Set and Zolotye Kupola flowered extra early at 55 days, but that is still ten days later than K and BP.

I notice that KarenO's cross between Ludmilla's Pink Heart and Lucky Cross also flowered at 47 days, which makes me think LPH has the precocious flowering gene.

Please share your knowledge of other precocious flowering tomatoes.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

LPH and Captain Lucky (descendent of lucky cross), yes It did flower early and in the house under far less than ideal circumstances.
I did not note specifically the number of days to flower for LPH last year but I do know it was the first ripe full sized tomato in my garden which was one of the reasons I chose it to play with in creating the KarenO tomato although I did not think it was known particularly for earliness it was certainly early for me and the F1 was too it seems.
I have never kept track of days to flowering but another couple of varieties that were very early to ripen for me were silvery fir tree and an old determinate pink cherry called gartenperle
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2014   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Another one that has been mentioned in other threads is Jagodka.
Old March 22, 2014   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Be careful how you use this gene. It causes the plant to transition from juvenile to reproductive phase while the plant is still small. This tends to limit potential production to about 1/4 as much as a larger plant sans precocious flowering. The best balance of precious flowering with total production I've seen so far is in Bloody Butcher. It flowers about the 50 day mark which is a few days later than Kimberly.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2014   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

That is a very useful observation, and thank you.

One thing that became obvious last year is that the precocious gene has to be reckoned with when starting your plants for an appropriate plant out date. I had to advance my date unexpectedly because Kimberley and Beaverlodge Plum had started to flower while still in a beer cup. That was okay for last year's plan to test cold tolerance, but not the best plan overall, especially this year which looks like a late spring.

This year I am deliberately waiting longer to plant any varieties I know have the precocious gene, including the F2 of your KimberleyXEPB cross, to make sure that the conditions are fit for planting when they need to be set out. It is the reason for posting this question, too, because so many varieties are new to me, I don't know from experience which ones should be planted later.

Your comments elsewhere about cold tolerance are correct in my estimation, that the capacity of many 'early' tomatoes to produce in early spring conditions is limited to at best a narrow "cool" temperature range not much below the 'goldilocks' zone. Kimberley did produce a few early fruit, followed by a big gap: the main crop came in at the same time as Stupice. There was really no advantage to stressing the plant with temperatures below its tolerance.