Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 24, 2012   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default can orange or bicolor show up in an F1 cross?

My second Anna Russian seedling has just ripened first fruit, and they are orange or bicolored instead of pink.

Both plants looked identical with wispy foliage. I wonder, is wispy dominant over a regular leaf, or would an F1 with wispy foliage have two such parents?

The first Anna Russian, which I'm assuming to be true to type, is watermelon pink, very sweet, with very few seeds.
The orange fruited heart, is deep orange with greenish yellow shoulders, has more seeds, but also some prominent empty chambers. The inside looks like a bicolor, but perhaps this is due to uneven ripening? Would 'bicolor' gene be dominant to pink?

Do you think this is an F1 cross with Anna Russian, or is it more likely a wrong seed got in the packet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AnnaRussian-pink.JPG (96.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg twohearts.JPG (55.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg orange-yellow-Anna.JPG (133.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg orange-heart-slice.JPG (106.7 KB, 40 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default my mistake.. sunscald!

Well it turns out the fruit are not orange nor bicolor either, they are plain red. The first two fruit were so severely sunscalded they never got their true colour except on the bottom tip. Please excuse my ignorance, this is the first time in my life I have seen sunscald.... hardly a problem in our normal weather, but this year, what a lot of sun.

After the first couple of fruit, this plant ripened pretty much its whole crop at once. They are a nice size red heart with bland flavour and a lot of corky core. Not super sweet like Anna Russian. There's nothing about this fruit that would make me want to grow out the F2. The bowl shown below are destined to be sauce.

Last edited by bower; August 8, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote