Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 31, 2010   #1
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Galina x Black Krim F1

I saw that the other comments on this cross were posted in the Galina x Snow White thread so I started a new one for this cross. I harvested seeds from these tomatoes today. Despite a totally dismal summer, the plant actually produced a fair amount of tomatoes.
Sue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galina x Black Krim F1.jpg (128.3 KB, 115 views)
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2010   #2
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Those look fantastic.

If you have any interest in sharing, please let us know. I personally would love to try my hand at growing some out.

Of course, if it is more of a personal project, no prob

matt
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2011   #3
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I am bumping this up so that the pic of the fruits off of the F1 plant can be found easily!
Sue B
Old August 30, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for doing that.

All five of my F1 plants gave identical sized fruits that were round, smaller than BK but larger than Galina, that were a dusky blackish pink, as best I can describe them but yours look red to me and there were different shapes and sizes in your picture.

I'm not sure where the post I just received at home was put but the most important part was this:

(Last year's fruits had a mix of Black Krim and Galina shapes as you can see in the picture. This year it is the Black Krim shape for the few fruits that are on the plant and which are not ripe as of yet.)

If the initial cross took then all the fruits on the F1 plants should have been identical with only one shape and one color and one size. And all of the F1 plants should have been RL since Galina, being PL, is recessive.

So I'm not sure at this point that the initial cross did give you all F1 seeds based on your comment above. And I did note that you said you had only one F1 plant, but that shouldn't make any difference in terms of fruit size and shape and color, all of which should have been identical on that one F1 plant.

What do you think might have happened?

Was this a natural cross or did you do it or were you sent seeds and if so how many F1 seeds did you have to work with?

Trying to figure this out, with your help.

Edited to add the following:
OK, I guess I'm confused b'c the date on that post with the picture was 2010 so I was assuming those were the F1 fruits.

If not, what were the fruits like on the original F1 plant? And what you're showing are fruits from one F2 plant?

Last edited by carolyn137; August 31, 2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: add more text
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2011   #5
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

The F1's were from 2010 and the F2's (this year) are from the seeds of the fruit pictured above. Both the F1 and F2 plants were (are) RL. I don't think that I have had any natural crosses here but really don't know that for sure. I have plenty of the F2 seeds from 2010 but not any of the F1's. I got the F1 seeds directly from Raymondo. I have many other stable tomato plants that have different sizes and shapes so it could be the weather here that affects that. Cherries seem to be the consistent ones.
Sue B.
Old August 31, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sue, I went back and read the original thread and saw that one of your F1 plants was PL.

I also saw Linda's picture of her F1 fruits which were very small compared to what I got from my F1 plants, all of which gave the same size, color and shape fruits.

There was a lot of discussion about what size the Galina fruits should be and same for what size the Black Krim used was, and I can't answer either of those questions b'c I didn't do the cross.

What I do know is that small fruit size is dominant to large fruiit size so what Steve, who did the cross, and I both expected were F1 fruits that were larger than Galina and smaller than Black Krim. And that's what I got and in the original thread estimated that they were around 4 oz or so.

Then I also read that Travis, even in the original thread, said that he couldn't see how anything short, bushy and det could come out of that cross, which you got but I didn't.

So at this point I'm going to let you and Linda continue on with your results, and maybe even Raymondo had some results that he hasn't yet posted.

And I still have a boatload of those F2 seeds around somewhere, but the last time I planted some out was in the summer of 2000, but no sense waking them up b'c no room to do growouts of the large number of plantes needed to do that.
Old January 5, 2012   #7
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

I haven't yet grown out any of that cross. If there was a PL F1 then it was a selfing I would assume. I used Galina's as the seed parent. I did a host of crosses with Galina's as the seed parent that year. All the same Galina's plant too. Others I used as pollen parents were Snow White and Green Zebra. The F1 cross with Snow White, the only one I've grown out, was RL with pretty uniform size and colour though there was some small variation in size. The flavour, BTW, was excellent. Patrina has grown both the Snow White cross and the Green Zebra cross and I'm pretty sure she got consistent size and colour too.
Possible explanations for the variation - environment I would have thought could play a part, then of course the Black Krim parent may itself have been crossed up though it looked like it should and, finally and I think least likely given the results of the other crosses, the Galina's may have been crossed up.
I will endeavour to grow out some of these next season though that's a long way off for me.

Last edited by Raymondo; January 6, 2012 at 01:48 AM.
Raymondo is offline   Reply With Quote