Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 11, 2014   #1
Uncle Dunkel
Tomatovillian™

Default creating a new hybrid

Is it illegal to create a new hybrid from an existing patented variety?

If yes any new crosses would have to come from heirloom varieties?
Uncle Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #2
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I would like to know that too. I know patents are not forever so at some point, you can use them for sure.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

no, a purposeful cross from a patented hybrid is now a completely different hybrid, and it could just as easily occur naturally so I cannot see how patent law could be applied to the cross. You cannot produce seed to sell or clones to sell of a patented hybrid, that is indeed illegal but for yourself, at your house with no commercial purposes in mind, lets just say you can do whatever the heck you want.
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; February 11, 2014 at 01:00 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Due to the highly complex nature of most modern hybrid tomatoes (usually comprised of two highly complex parental inputs), a new hybrid created using most modern hybrids as parents wouldn't produce uniform results from the F1 seeds, and therefore wouldn't be a singular, unique cultivar. So, even if you were certified to sell F1 hybrid seeds, you would probably be prevented from selling F1 seed which had an F1 hybrid cultivar as one or both parents.

However, it would be useful in a breeding program to pursue the filial generations of an F1 hybrid created using another F1 hybrid as one parent. And that is exactly how many existing breeding lines and open pollinated cultivars were created. For example, two or three pure breeding lines currently used to produce several hybrids resistant to tomato spot leaf virus were segregated out of the original F1 hybrid known as Amelia.

Another common method is to take an F1 hybrid, grow it's F2 seeds, select one of the F2 recombinations that exhibit sa specific trait, and use pollen that plant as the parent in a subsequent cross. But again, even the seeds from such a cross, using an F2 seed line as a pollen donor, will produce F1 seeds that yield results that will not be 100% uniform.

Last edited by travis; February 11, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dunkel View Post
Is it illegal to create a new hybrid from an existing patented variety?

If yes any new crosses would have to come from heirloom varieties?
I read this too fast and sort of missed the exactness of the question.

Yes, it is a patent violation to use a PVP as a parent to produce F1 seed, without the written permission of the patent holder, if the intent is to sell or commercially profit from the fruit, seeds, transplants, or "clone-able" vegetative parts.

To obtain written permission, if possible, usually requires entering into a seed transfer agreement and paying a hefty royalty or breeder's fee.
Old February 11, 2014   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Ameila was selfed for several generations resulting in a near homozygous line that expresses the SW5 gene. One of these lines was then used to create a new line combining SW5 with I3 which involved breaking a very tight linkage. This line is going to be used in an effort to stack several more disease tolerance genes into a single line that can be used to make hybrids.

Re using a patented variety as a parent in a cross, legally, you can self a hybrid until it is a stable line and then use that as a parent in a new cross. However, if it involves a GMO gene, the gene itself is patented therefore you cannot use that gene in any breeding work so long as the patent is in force.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Ameila was selfed for several generations resulting in a near homozygous line that expresses the SW5 gene.
Yes, I said that, just a different way.
Old February 11, 2014   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
... if it involves a GMO gene, the gene itself is patented therefore you cannot use that gene in any breeding work so long as the patent is in force.
Very good point! Thankfully, there are no GMO tomato cultivars currently available to get us in trouble.
Old February 11, 2014   #9
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Very good point! Thankfully, there are no GMO tomato cultivars currently available to get us in trouble.
Yes, not yet.
All you market vendors might want to be aware of this recent article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25885756

Just in case the Villagers storm your farmstand with torches and pitchforks, let them know that you funny colored, non-red, non-round, non-rubber thingies are indeed naturally growing tomatoes and not some kind of dreaded Frankenfruits. Unless they're looking for magic tomatoes, then tell them whatever they want to hear.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

LOL. The new GM tomatoes look beautiful, but the common mantra of 'improved nutritional value' sounds really hollow. Tomatoes already are packed with many nutrients and beneficial compounds. Just the same old same old attempts to justify these expensive experiments.

This kind of news cause many people look at darker tomato varieties with suspicion..

Last edited by NarnianGarden; February 11, 2014 at 05:57 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

For sale one 4 inch pot filled with soil for $2 comes with free plant.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
This kind of news cause many people look at darker tomato varieties with suspicion..

Some people, I certainly do not. I always loved genetics in college. Awesome!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #13
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
For sale one 4 inch pot filled with soil for $2 comes with free plant.

Worth
That's exactly how I plan on selling any surplus plants I have this spring.

"For sale -- one used styrofoam cup still has potting mix and a variety tomato plant. I'm selling these cups at this price because I don't want to take the time to dump the soil and plant. "

It's how my parents sold mattresses when they where in the used business. They sold the bed and you were free to take the mattress if you wanted to.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #14
travis
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone have any snapdragon recipes?
Old February 11, 2014   #15
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I can easily put my hands on 2 different gmo lines of tomato. One of them was accidentally leaked a few years ago. Another was kept by someone from a breeding company. I do not want anything to do with them, just don't want you to think that gmo tomatoes are unavailable.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote