Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 1, 2010   #31
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Several "heat tolerant" varieties I've tried, a few mentioned in this thread - but every single one of them mentioned will eventually poop out severely in a typical Texas summer.

The most heat tolerant variety I've ever grown is Sweet Quartz F1, hands down. Second place might be Sungold, or perhaps Sweet Million (also both cherry type hybrids.) However, even those two eventually experience a major drop off in both production and size of fruits when it gets and stays really hot here.

Another one (besides Sweet Quartz) that will set like crazy in extreme heat is Coyote, but I just don't care for the taste at all.

Purple Haze F1 is worth an honorable mention. I love the flavor, and it does slow down a bit in my summers, but it will at least continue to produce a little if I can keep the plants healthy. I happened upon an F2 PH this year that gave me similar results, both for taste and for production in very hot and humid weather.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #32
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

As they say, it's not the heat it's the humidity. So I'm betting Suze and Chara that yalls choices will work for me too. Would either of you like to try the Solarset F1. I would be glad to send some seeds.
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #33
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Tried Solar Set last year and was not impressed with the flavor production was ok it was grown in a 20 inch pot on my upper deck that gets into the 100+ daily in the summer here.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2010   #34
Chara
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, original, for the offer! Very nice of you!
I sure would like a few of your seeds - only if you take a few of mine.
I will send you a PM shortly.
Chara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2010   #35
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

I think I have one you all might just love! I am growing it right now when nothing else would ever have a chance. I live in Southwest Florida and the humidity can be cut with a knife at any time of day from July to Sept. I have two solarfire tom. that are putting out fruit with no disease problems whatsoever. Sioux could not live in the summer here! Heatwave did ok many years back.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2010   #36
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by phicks48 View Post
theres a everglades tomatoe that grows wild its a small type its been growing wild for over 50 years down there if you can get some of those it might be good to use it. paul
I have some Everglades seed started. I wonder what to try to cross it with. I am in Miami, close to the swamps of the Everglades. I wonder what crossing Everglades with Stick would do?
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2010   #37
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I wonder what crossing Everglades with Stick would do?
One thing that Stick does not have is leaf coverage to protect
fruits from sunburn. Something to particularly watch out for
in your climate.
Old October 14, 2010   #38
Garf
Tomatovillian™

What I would be looking for from stick is not the leaf habit, but the stem habit.
Old October 14, 2010   #39
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

If your going to cross Everglades with Stick then plant the resulting seeds. I believe that the plant would benefit from growing in a area with a shade cloth to protect the fruit.

What would you then do with the seeds from Stick Cross?

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2010   #40
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to come up with something with standard leaves that would resemble a small tree.
Old October 14, 2010   #41
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garf View Post
I'd like to come up with something with standard leaves that would resemble a small tree.
Garf, aside from any crosses you might want to make I wanted to comment about heat tolerant tomato varieties.

Several years ago I was communicating with a hybridizer associated with Petoseeds who was stationed in FL. His comment was that it's not just the heat stability of the pollen that's important but also that the high sustained humidity present in many areas of FL that clumps the pollen and makes it far less effective in being able to be shed from the anthers as well as any that are shed being able to fertilize the ovules in the tomato ovary.

So timing of planting for both Spring and Fall crops is really crucial, aside from any so called heat tolerant varities that are touted as such.

As I think you know from the threads at GW as well as here, that Everglades one is nothing special, just a red currant that grows wild down there . Someone named that one Wild Everglades, still makes money off it as you also know, and there plenty of other wild red currants that grow in FL and all along the Gulf Coast down into Mexico b'c it was the Spanish who spread them there as they explored, to them, the new area of what we know as the US.

Somehow I'm not seeing the advantage of a Stick X red currant cross, so how about sharing you thoughts on that one in a bit more detail.
Old October 14, 2010   #42
Garf
Tomatovillian™

It was actually just a thought. I'd like to have a plant that resembles a small tree that would stand on its own, yet still produce fruit.
Old October 14, 2010   #43
dice
Tomatovillian™

Ah, like a tree rose. Very small cherry sized fruit would not
weigh enough to pull it over. Even better for that might be
something like a "dwarf currant", ie a tree-type dwarf type
plant, slow growing, with thick stems and tiny cherry sized fruit.