Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 12, 2012   #1
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Padron and Shish!to peppers

(OK, wow...The pepper I'm going to talk about has been censored by this forum! Really? Anyway, It's name is Shish*to, and replace the * with an "i" and that's the name. She-she-toe is how you say it. Auto-censor software is sometimes annoying, lol!)

Has anyone grown both these peppers and compared results?
(some background, I'm a veggie buyer at a local garden center)

I grew Shish*to last year and absolutely loved them! Mild and a little spicy with a lovely crispness about these thin walled, quickly maturing little peppers.

This year I've been hearing a lot about Padron pepper, a lot of customers have been asking for them. And I finally found a source for seedlings, so I ordered them for the nursery, and picked up one for myself.

Last night I was reading up on them and apparently through one of those fascinating quirks of fate, these two peppers may be one and the same.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, Portugal was one of the few European countries to trade with Japan. The town that grew Padron peppers in Spain, is close to the Portuguese boarder and apparently this pepper was brought with the Portuguese traders to Japan.

Over the centuries apparently the Japanese have bred it to be the Shish*to pepper, little milder than it's Pardron parent, but you still can get the one in 20 that's really spicy, pepper roulette! It's something that happens with Padron's apparently too.

Anyway, I've got my Padron seedling and if the Shish*to is available this year from another supplier like last year, in a couple weeks I'll have both. I'm looking forward to a taste test!

I must say I ate most of my Shish*to's right off the plant last year, wonder if the Padron will be the same. lol!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #2
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Well growing Shish*to for the first time this year, You have me glad I planted it!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #3
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Growing Shi★★★★o this year for the first time as well. Looking forward to it and it' fun to mess with the censors!
Old April 22, 2012   #4
MangoMom
Tomatovillian™

So interesting! Looking forward to the results of your taste test.
MangoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Well, BarbJ, were you able to do a taste test, if so, are they one and the same to you? Someone gave me Padron seeds last year, forgot to sow them, but I grow the Shishis every year. I never knew they were similar, and your theory may be correct as Japan got many foods from trading with Portugal that are still popular today.

I'll try Padron next year, if my seeds are still good.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #6
maxfromaustralia
Tomatovillian™

I enjoy frying peppers growing Padron, Shi★★★★os and Fushimi among others. My Shi★★★★os and Fushimi are sourced from Japan whereas my Padrons are thru Franchi Seeds. I hadn't noticed the connection between Padrons and Shi★★★★os but will monitor this season and report back. Cheers max
maxfromaustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2012   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I find it interesting you can say/type many words here and in public that mean the same thing.
One word will get you darn near thrown in jail while the other is excepted with open arms.
Even on the news they say a word that everybody knows is a replacement for the f bomb but it is excepted.
I dont get it not one bit.

Wow I just discovered you can drag and drop smilies.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #8
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I find it interesting you can say/type many words here and in public that mean the same thing.
One word will get you darn near thrown in jail while the other is excepted with open arms.
Even on the news they say a word that everybody knows is a replacement for the f bomb but it is excepted.
I dont get it not one bit.

Wow I just discovered you can drag and drop smilies.

Worth
The ignorance and inability to think rationally.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #9
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately I was not able to do a taste test because my grower for Shish*tos didn't grow them this year. Dang! I sure was disappointed, and apparently so were a lot of their other customers, at least that's what they said when I called to ask when the peppers would be available. So, that's the bad news. The good news is they will probably grow them again next year. They said they didn't realize how much everyone liked them.

Because of that, the test was mostly from memory as I did grow several Padrons this year. I found the Padrons really very similar, if I'm remembering right. Sweet and spicy with every 10th pepper or so a lot more spicy. I expected the Padrons to be hotter, but I don't think they were, at least not a whole lot hotter.
Anyway, I'm going to try again next year.

Actually my favorite pepper this year has been Italian Pepperoncini. The have been really productive and not very hot at all. Very sweet with just a touch of a spicy finish. I find myself pulling a couple off every time I walk by the plant and eat them one the spot! Yum! I think I'm gonna try to pickle them.
Old August 9, 2012   #10
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

While I'll agree that the profanity word filter here isn't perfect, it saves me a lot of time, grief and aggravation. Those wishing to bypass the filter for the topic in this thread, may use the exclamation point as a substitute for the letter "i".

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
While I'll agree that the profanity word filter here isn't perfect, it saves me a lot of time, grief and aggravation. Those wishing to bypass the filter for the topic in this thread, may use the exclamation point as a substitute for the letter "i".

Filters are just that, "filters" they aren't perfect but you have to have them on a forum like this.
I was appalled at the vulgarity and name calling on a 4 wheel drive off road forum a work mate is on.

Everything and more that is not allowed here is excepted with open arms there.
I cuss like a sailor in private but even I found the forum extremely distasteful.
They were the kind of people I wouldn't go out in public with.
There was no regard for other peoples feelings at all.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2012   #12
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

oops.

Last edited by BarbJ; August 9, 2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: double post
Old August 9, 2012   #13
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't upset about the censor soft ware, just surprised it picked out "that" word in the middle of another word. It was actually funny!
I agree that it's needed and as just a soft ware "robot" as it were, it can't tell the difference I guess.

I too have been on sights where anything goes and while I didn't find it offensive really, it was kinda hard to read through all the "stuff" to get to their point.
Cursing in print narrows your comunication choices. It also gets really boring after a while.
Good idea about the !. Love the yummy Shish!to!
Old August 18, 2012   #14
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

I'm not growing either this year but I have in the past. The Padron peppers are, for me anyway, somewhat heavier, blockier, and a bit spicier than the Shish!to peppers. The Shish!to's are sweeter, with the Padrons being earthier/grassier tasting. Both produce quite a lot of peppers.
http://www.tomatoville.com/images/smilies/smile1.gif

Wow thanks for the tip Worth, I just dragged and dropped my first smiley!

Re: cursing in forums. I'm in a couple of sites that allow it. While it doesn't really offend me it gives me the impression the person cussing is a kid, either mentally or actually. Maybe I'm being unfair but those posts lose a bit of credibility with me.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #15
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Whoops, oh well. It looks like I can't drag and drop smilies.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
padron , shish*to