Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 21, 2013   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Woolly Kate

Well, I'm hoping to finally get a chance to plant this weekend, so I started arranging trays to fit with where I want things planted in rows. I'm taking pictures of everything so I can set up a web page for the evaluations this year. This is another of Tom Wagner's lines, I should get one with almost fully antho (blue) skin and yellow flesh, possibly with some fuzz on the fruits.

Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #2
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing that.
Old May 21, 2013   #3
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

That's a tomato? wow very cool, peach fuzzzz central.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, Mark!

Would you consider that plant heterozygous (partially-woolly) or homozygous (fully-woolly) for the woolly gene? I can't tell from the photo (or without a segregating population for comparison). I remember Tom said somewhere that the homozygotous state wasn't as productive as the heterozygotous state and so a population of 'woolies' needed to be kept heterozygous for optimum fruit production. Is that your understanding, too?

Be sure to post your website link when you get it up, I'm very interested in following your tomato breeding progress!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #5
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Oh

I will have the Woolly Kate this year too.
Mine are a little taler than yours at the moment...
But your´s are looking good - so far. But be aware, the wooly plants are most attractive for mites and other litlle cuties.

Besides, my avatar... this is the Wooly Kate.

Simone

P.S. On the picture it is hard to see, but mine had a fuzzy skin.

Last edited by Simone; May 21, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #6
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

How beautiful! That doesn't even look like a tomato plant.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #7
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Looking good, Mark!

Would you consider that plant heterozygous (partially-woolly) or homozygous (fully-woolly) for the woolly gene? I can't tell from the photo (or without a segregating population for comparison). I remember Tom said somewhere that the homozygotous state wasn't as productive as the heterozygotous state and so a population of 'woolies' needed to be kept heterozygous for optimum fruit production. Is that your understanding, too?

Be sure to post your website link when you get it up, I'm very interested in following your tomato breeding progress!

Steve
I think this one is homozygous based on comparisons to the others. I'll be sure and post pictures of all of them, I have 12 woolly lines this year, 48 plants.

I don't know if I'll be including them for any breeding work, but they're certainly interesting looking. I wavered a lot before starting them when my list got too big, but I had a possibility of growing with a joint project involving multiple groups here in town. It would have involved having kids taking a gardening course over the summer touring/helping. I thought the wooly types were so different and cool looking they might interest kids in tomatoes.
Old May 21, 2013   #8
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
Oh

I will have the Woolly Kate this year too.
Mine are a little taler than yours at the moment...
But your´s are looking good - so far. But be aware, the wooly plants are most attractive for mites and other litlle cuties.

Besides, my avatar... this is the Wooly Kate.

Simone

P.S. On the picture it is hard to see, but mine had a fuzzy skin.
Very cool, great to see another picture of it. Tom had one on his forum that was almost totally blue skin, it definately looked like a plum.

The one good thing about our horrid winters here is I don't have too many problems with pests (knock on wood) so I am hopeful that these types won't prove too attractive.
Old May 21, 2013   #9
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
How beautiful! That doesn't even look like a tomato plant.
I thought it was mint at first.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #10
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
The one good thing about our horrid winters here is I don't have too many problems with pests (knock on wood) so I am hopeful that these types won't prove too attractive.
Then you are a lucky one...
The winter here was too mild, but now it is raining and raining and raining. And in some parts of Germany there might be snow this week. But hopefully not in the west.

All my woolly tomatoes are in my greenhouses because I think they will not survive the weather here without protection.
Last year I had two Woolly Kate tomatoes, but none of them was like Toms on his side. One yellow one red, both with blue.

You can see them here in my blog: ==>
Scroll down, the Woolly Kate is on the last two pictures.

But the best of the Woolly Kate in 2012 was, besides that they survived a huge attack of russet mites, they were the best tasting tomatoes; not just of the Wagners, but of all.
The yellow one was sweet and complex (my favorite), the red one was more stronger in taste, with a hint of acidity.

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #11
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

That is crazy! What a cool-looking plant.
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #12
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Very neat! Do the wooly leaves offer any advantages over the regular or potato leaf varieties?
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Neat! Now it's on my wish list for next year. I have one plant of Seattle Wooly Blue Mammoth going right now and am looking forward to it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013   #14
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
Very neat! Do the wooly leaves offer any advantages over the regular or potato leaf varieties?
There are differing opinions on that.

I personally like a wide variety of everything in the garden, and love all the different foliage options for some visual interest before the fruit starts coming in. The woolly types were something new for me this year. Looking out over my sea of seedlings it looks a whole not different than the garden center...
Old May 22, 2013   #15
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I was trying to figure out what the fuzzy coating on the leaves reminded me of. It is a little like my lambs ear, but that's not it.

Then it came to me, African violets! My aunt has some very fuzzy African violets with almost the same color and fuzziness as these. (At least as far as I can recall)

So, if they don't produce so well, just use them for decoration!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote