Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 8, 2013   #1
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Default Photo of my set up...

Just thought I'd snap a photo of my set up. Disregard the differing plant sizes. The smaller ones are replacements after a hailstorm wiped out about 1/2 of my plants a few weeks back and severely damaged most of the rest. This a combination of 14 EarthBoxes and City Pickers. I'm using the EB AWS on them and it's working great. What you can't see is the top of the trellis system, which is set up to do a Florida weave once they outgrow the netting.

Baizanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013   #2
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Looking good! How tall is the netting part? I'm guessing tomatoes get huge in your area.
Sorry to hear about that hailstorm. I had my first hailstorm experience a few springs ago. Talk about getting sucker punched!
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013   #3
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Awww, that's terrible about the hail storms but I'm glad that some of your tomatoes made it through and that you had some back ups! Earthtainers are really popular, they seem to be working really well for most!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycomania View Post
Looking good! How tall is the netting part? I'm guessing tomatoes get huge in your area.
Sorry to hear about that hailstorm. I had my first hailstorm experience a few springs ago. Talk about getting sucker punched!
They get huge in South Florida. I tried netting last year and the plants got so heavy that the netting got torn. We also used a Florida weave after they got too tall for the netting. This year we went to cages around each earthbox and when outgrowing, we put in furring strips after my husband sharpened the ends, and used 14 guage malleable galvanized wire( Home Depot in a spool) and this became the "twine" for our Florida weave. This was much better for us. None of them toppled this year and none were torn. It's a learning curve for sure. reed you can see the cage in the photos of the CH I put up.
Reed this looks very nice for now. I bet it is going to work just fine.
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013   #5
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
They get huge in South Florida. I tried netting last year and the plants got so heavy that the netting got torn. We also used a Florida weave after they got too tall for the netting. This year we went to cages around each earthbox and when outgrowing, we put in furring strips after my husband sharpened the ends, and used 14 guage malleable galvanized wire( Home Depot in a spool) and this became the "twine" for our Florida weave. This was much better for us. None of them toppled this year and none were torn. It's a learning curve for sure. reed you can see the cage in the photos of the CH I put up.
Reed this looks very nice for now. I bet it is going to work just fine.
Marsha
Yes, the strength of the netting was a issue in my mind so, although you can't see it, every 18 inches or so down the net there is a length of concrete tie wire running from post to post. The t-posts are about 5ft tall and there is an additional 5 feet of wooden post above that.
Old May 13, 2013   #6
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Took these pictures about dusk a few nights ago...

I'm growing three kinds of cucumbers this year. I'll have Straight Eights, Poona Kheera and Armenian. These are the Armenian cucumber seedlings.

First tomatoes of the season. These are Terenzo F1s and they are looking pretty.

You can see my corn plants in the back half of the garden. I'm growing Trucker's Favorite - White this year. It's a non-sweet field corn. I prefer it over sweet corn.

These are Florida High Bush eggplants. The little one on the end doesn't look so good but they should be okay.

This is my lettuce bed. We've been eating fresh salad regularly. I've got Yugoslavian Red Bibb, Amish Deer Tongue, Bronze Arrowhead, Susan's Red Bibb, Forellenschluss and also some radicchio. There is also a Late Flat Dutch cabbage on the right.

This is the front end of the garden. In the front are some Burpee's Best Cabbage. It's a hybrid I don't know much about but it had good reviews. On the end of that row is a Chiltepin pepper plant and two Bhut Jolokia (ghost chili) pepper plants. Behind that is an assortment of hot and sweet peppers. There are also a few bell peppers in there.

I'm growing several kinds of radishes. This is them in the center. They are French Breakfast, Black Spanish Round, Black Spanish Long, Long Scarlet, Early Scarlet, White Icicle, White Hailstone, Chinese Green Luobo, Chinese Red Meat, China Rose, and Purple Plum. There are also some Scarlet Nantes carrots, Cosmic Purple carrots, Granex onions, Purple Top White Globe turnips, Red Round Turnips, Hollow Crown Parsnips and Detroit Red Beets in there as well.

This bed is on the side of the house. I've got about 12 tomato plants of various varieties, some kohlrabi and some Early Jersey Wakefield cabbages...

This is the other side of the house. I've got six tomato plants in the front, some Brussels sprouts behind them and then some potatoes at the end.

These are the tomatoes down the fence. Some are varying heights thanks to our hailstorm, which required me to replace several plants. These are beginning to put on fruit as well. All total I'm at 48 tomato plants.
Old May 13, 2013   #7
nantucket
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous photos..............a real inspiration!
nantucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #8
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply and I love your new pics!
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #9
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Wow...looking great so far!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #10
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Are you using the straw as mulch? I guess that is worded oddly since mulch can be anything, but anyway....do you have newspaper under it too? It looks so good.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #11
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Are you using the straw as mulch? I guess that is worded oddly since mulch can be anything, but anyway....do you have newspaper under it too? It looks so good.
Nope. Nothing under it, which I should have done. Next year I'll have cardboard under it because those dang dandelions are ridiculous.
Old May 15, 2013   #12
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Extremely efficient use of space! Did you nearly bury the tomato containers? That seems like a lot of work. What do you anticipate the advantages to be? Root temp regulation? Ambitious back yard garden. Nice!

By the way I don't know a few of those lettuce types you mention. Where did you get the seeds? How would describe the taste? We did several lettuces this year the the salads have been supreme! Maybe consider arugula next year...one of my favs!

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #13
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful yard!!

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #14
Baizanator
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Extremely efficient use of space! Did you nearly bury the tomato containers? That seems like a lot of work. What do you anticipate the advantages to be? Root temp regulation? Ambitious back yard garden. Nice!

By the way I don't know a few of those lettuce types you mention. Where did you get the seeds? How would describe the taste? We did several lettuces this year the the salads have been supreme! Maybe consider arugula next year...one of my favs!

Dewayne mater
I did not bury the containers but they are covered in and surrounded by a thick layer of wheat straw. The reasoning was that the summers get quite hot in Oklahoma and I wanted to reduce any surface evaporation of moisture and keep root temps down a bit.

As for the lettuce, 90% of my seeds came from the Seed Saver's Exchange and Baker Creek.
Old May 16, 2013   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It all looks good. I hope you can maintain that neat look into the summer. I'm always disappointed in how those darn plants just want to do whatever they want and not what I want them to as the summer progresses. You've got a great start to the year so keep posting pictures. I really want to see how the netting holds up as the plants get large. Plants can get huge here in LA and I finally went to a steel conduit trellis to keep my plants supported. I hate putting it up and taking it down every year but it has made supporting the plants so much easier and I don't run into the problem midway through the season of the plants getting too big and heavy for the support.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote